Now that I passed, I have a silly question.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angstrom

Reaction score
Okay, I just passed the PE exam in IA, and I passed the FE in TX. I am registered as an EIT in Texas. The EIT renewal in TX is a whopping $15 (much less than applying for and maintaining a PE license in a second state). My EIT in TX expires in August in this year.

Here's my question: it there any benefit at all in plopping down $15 to keep my EIT active in TX for another 8 years? Or now that I will become a PE, is there no benefit at all in renewing it? What do you think?

Thanks.

I would get my PE in texas before I give up the EIT.
Well, I have no intention of getting my PE in TX at present because it buys me nothing, as I do no work there. Maybe someday, but not now. So are you saying that I should not give up the EIT because I won't have my PE in Texas?

Again, it's only $15 and lasts for another eight years, but I really don't know how keeping the Texas EIT offers any benefit.

I would get my PE in texas before I give up the EIT.
Well, I have no intention of getting my PE in TX at present because it buys me nothing, as I do no work there. Maybe someday, but not now. So are you saying that I should not give up the EIT because I won't have my PE in Texas?

Again, it's only $15 and lasts for another eight years, but I really don't know how keeping the Texas EIT offers any benefit.
It doesn't make any sense to keep your EIT if you have your PE. If the day comes when you need to get your PE in TX, then you would apply through reciprocity. The PE Board in TX would determine if your PE status and work experience is sufficient to grant you a PE license.

One benefit to getting the PE in TX, they have good programs setup with international affiliates (e.g. Australia), so if you ever think you may try to register overseas...consider trying to register in TX...may make for a simpler registration process overseas.

I would take advantage of reciprocity of getting your PE in Texas, doesn't make sense at all to just have your EIT in TX. Who knows, you may look for a job in Texas later and you will have a leg up in having your PE already. Hopefully I will pass the October exam.

Doesn't TX require that you pass a surveying exam? If this is so, then don't give up your EIT license in Texas. If you ever plan to practice in Texas (and God forbid you can't pass the surveying exam), then you will still at least have your EIT.

Doesn't TX require that you pass a surveying exam? If this is so, then don't give up your EIT license in Texas. If you ever plan to practice in Texas (and God forbid you can't pass the surveying exam), then you will still at least have your EIT.
No, not at all. Texas PE board and Texas Land Surveyor board are completely separate.

Back