NFL 2010 Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what happened?
Andrew Luck is sticking with Stanford for another year.
I say good for him!!!! completing his education is a great choice. Professional sports are recuiting a much younger group lately. Let them finish their high school and college experiences before throwing them to pro life.
I just can't agree with it...I think he's making a mistake.

I hope nothing happens to him or his health but why not collect guaranteed money and go back to college? Maybe it would be good for him if he fell to the bottom of the draft to not get picked up by a bad franchise.

He's just getting an architecture degree anyway

I'm all for people advancing their education, but...

If he goes pro, and suffers a devastating, career ending injury on his first play in the NFL, he's still got all those millions guaranteed up front. I'm sure he could foot the bill for his senior year.

If he stays, and suffers the same injury on the last play of nobodygivesashit.com bowl, he's working a 9-5 like everyone else.

I can see the Panthers picking Cam Newton now...another Micheal Vick in Atlanta, from the words of an old coach, and the father of the THEN current Falcons coach, Newton will be a coach killer. Talented enough to win games, but not smart enough to win championships. I think the Eagles will feel that pinch soon too.
Put Vince Young in that group, too. It eventually came down to a decision between Young and Jeff Fisher in Tennessee. So far, they have dumped Young, but Fisher's fate is still undecided. Bud Adams really thought that Young was their franchise QB of the future, but he turned out to be a fragile spoiled brat with little talent.

I agree with your assessment of Michael Vick in Atlanta, but I really think that he is a changed person. He watches film, he can read defenses, he checks down all of his receivers before looking for the run, and he throws the ball much more precisely now than he ever did in Atlanta. Time will tell, but I think he may be able to hack it in the NFL now.

I say good for him!!!! completing his education is a great choice. Professional sports are recuiting a much younger group lately. Let them finish their high school and college experiences before throwing them to pro life.
He's only going back for his Junior season right now. He could still bail before he finishes his degree. I agree with the other comments...you need to go pro while you are healthy and at the height of your popularity to maximize earning potential. There is a long off-season every year for you to finish up your degree if you so desire.

I can see the Panthers picking Cam Newton now...another Micheal Vick in Atlanta, from the words of an old coach, and the father of the THEN current Falcons coach, Newton will be a coach killer. Talented enough to win games, but not smart enough to win championships. I think the Eagles will feel that pinch soon too.
Put Vince Young in that group, too. It eventually came down to a decision between Young and Jeff Fisher in Tennessee. So far, they have dumped Young, but Fisher's fate is still undecided. Bud Adams really thought that Young was their franchise QB of the future, but he turned out to be a fragile spoiled brat with little talent.

I agree with your assessment of Michael Vick in Atlanta, but I really think that he is a changed person. He watches film, he can read defenses, he checks down all of his receivers before looking for the run, and he throws the ball much more precisely now than he ever did in Atlanta. Time will tell, but I think he may be able to hack it in the NFL now.

He's only going back for his Junior season right now. He could still bail before he finishes his degree. I agree with the other comments...you need to go pro while you are healthy and at the height of your popularity to maximize earning potential. There is a long off-season every year for you to finish up your degree if you so desire.
The news stories around here said he was goin back for his senior year.

I'm still a Redskins fan, so it's not a big disappointment to me, but I have my own issues there to deal with....sigh
I sure as hell hope they don't. I know that he's a great athlete, but like you said, I see him as being like Vick or Young. I'm hoping that they can work out a trade for the top pick because I don't really see anyone else worth being the 1st draft pick. We'll see what happens between now and April.

The news stories around here said he was goin back for his senior year.
Sorta. I just saw a headline that says "Luck returning for Junior season," but it turns out that they were talking about his redshirt Junior season...which translates into his academic Senior year. So, he will finish his degree in Spring 2012.

$230 for 2 seats 3 rows above the blimp. I take the train to the game, eat a sandwich on the way there, and don't really drink, so I don't ring up parking and food and beer costs. Less than I paid for similar seats to the MNF game in December against the Jets actually.

I suspect I'm relocating this year, might as well go while it's so close.

I've done MLB NLCS playoffs, and saw a couple Knicks playoff games while they were decent in the late 90s and I lived around there, but this will be my first for the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ You know....Thats pretty cool. I would LOVE to make an NFL playoff game one day!
Yea, that would be cool, except for the cold! I used to work at a beer stand during the Panther's games back in college one year, and I was there for their win against the Cowboy's the year they made the Super Bowl run. I didn't get to watch much of the game, but the excitement in that place was amazing!

I had a feeling Young would disappoint when Houston passed him over. It was not a popular move at the time but I figured they must have known something.

Luck is making a smart move because he wants to avoid the NFL labor dispute. He could go pro, only to sit for a whole year.

Also, he is trying to avoid playing for Carolina. Sam Bradford avoided playing for Detroit by going back for his senior year.

I'd bet Luck has a pretty sizable insurance policy taken out as well for next season (probably paid for by some Stanford booster).

Nothing like seeing Michael Vick and the Eagles defeated. Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!! Nothing against the Eagles, just do not like Michael Vick, who I believe does not deserve to be wearing a pro football team uniform. Sorry for the media, not really, that lost their best possible story...Michael Vick, from Leavenworth to Super Bowl Champ. Eat it now!!!!!!

At least for tonight I was a Die Hard Packer's fan. It was very nice to see that interception on the end zone with 33 seconds left on the game. :party-smiley-048: :party-smiley-048:

well I'm ready to go to the GA Dome Saturday to see the Falcons / Panthers.... I was going to sell them, but playoffs dont happen very often in Atlanta so what the hell, its only money right?

I told my 11 year old he could go if he paid for parking.... and he is actually thinking about it.. at least he is stingy with his money...

well I'm ready to go to the GA Dome Saturday to see the Falcons / Panthers.... I was going to sell them, but playoffs dont happen very often in Atlanta so what the hell, its only money right?
That's the spirit! That was a good game the last time those teams matched up a few weeks back.

Great weekend of football other than the second half of KC-Balt.

Just scored two tickets to the divisional round game in Foxborough...woot.
Hey, I just saw this. I'm going too. We're in a lot right next to the stadium. We 're working out the details for the tailgate but you should come by.

Are you planning on getting to Foxboro early?

We usually take the gameday train out of Dedham...leave you with just enough time to get to your seats before kick off. If that changes, I'll let you know.

This just in:

More strange mass bird deaths being reported: 53 eagles found lifeless in Philadelphia yesterday evening.

(I read that elsewhere, can't take the credit)

Back