New York License Watch April 2018

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems as of 7/3 they are still in the H's with some random M's D's and C's mixed in, at this rate maybe I'll get my license around the time of the fall exam?
I got mine on 7/3 and I have a B last name. I wouldn't really stress the alphabeticalness at this point. I would just keep calling once a week. I was told last week that it would be at least another 3-4 weeks but it wasn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got mine on 7/3 and I have a B last name. I wouldn't really stress the alphabeticalness at this point. I would just keep calling once a week. I was told last week that it would be at least another 3-4 weeks but it wasn't.
Yea, they entered just 3 "J" names, and now in the "K's". Gonna wait to see what happens by the end of the day before I start the phone calls. 

As of now they have issued 31 licenses today, they made it from Hs and looks to have made it into the Ms still going alphabeticallyi. Today was the first day they issued licenses since the 3rd, looks like I’ve still got a long wait to go. NYs website says it should take 4-6weeks after the notice of passing for them to issue the licenses, were coming up on 8 weeks right now

My interpretation was 4-6 weeks after notice of passing the exam, they'll start entering the names into the online database which will take up to another 4-6 weeks.

The entries appears to be in a quasi-alphabetical order.  Yesterday, there was a C last name interspersed between the HIJK's, and before that, a B.  They appear to have sailed past my last name.

You guys are still waiting?!  In all seriousness it's time to start contacting your assemblypersons and state senators. It'll help if you can show that the delay is somehow costing you money such as lack of business, or delayed promotion or raise.

Did you try to call them and ask whats the reason behind this 11month wait? 

I got mine exactly 4 weeks after getting the passing result.
They passed over my last name (if we're considering alphabetical order),

Called and spoke to them.

They gave the generic "making a final check of the application, and it should be in the system within 3-4 weeks".

What year did you submit your application?

They passed over my last name (if we're considering alphabetical order),

Called and spoke to them.

They gave the generic "making a final check of the application, and it should be in the system within 3-4 weeks".

What year did you submit your application?
It was back in 2014. When I called them, the lady I spoke to looked through my files to check if everything is good to go.

Then yeah she said they are putting up the grades already at that time and said they will process it in the order it was received? And yes, I got that standard response 4-6weeks I should get my license #. But a week later after than phone call I got mine. 

It was back in 2014. When I called them, the lady I spoke to looked through my files to check if everything is good to go.

Then yeah she said they are putting up the grades already at that time and said they will process it in the order it was received? And yes, I got that standard response 4-6weeks I should get my license #. But a week later after than phone call I got mine. 
My application was sent in 2016. I wonder if they are going based on application year, the engineer discipline you're in, etc. 

I tried calling yesterday, was put on hold for 40 minutes before I gave up, emailed the engineering office at the office of the professions, they said they forwarded my questions to the processing unit and apologized for their (the processing unit's) delay. So it seems that it's not the engineering licensing office that's the cause of the delay its the license processing unit for the office of the professions.

So far today they've issued 20 more licenses but are back in the L's as pretty much every name today was an L name

I mean we only have some of the highest state income taxes of anywhere in the country (we have over 8%, while 7 states don't even have a state income tax btw),
Woah, someone has a verrrry high income or doesn't understand tax brackets.

Income up to $21,400 is taxed at 6.45%, and the marginal rate doesn't climb above 6.85% until you make over $1,077,550 (at which point, only the income OVER that amount is taxed at 8.82%)

So if your effective state tax rate is over 8%...

Well at the end of the day the exact percentage doesn't matter, we're still among the highest taxed states with on of the least effective state government.

Oh and as of today they're into the P's, still no license for me yet

It is definitely NOT being done alphabetically.  Here is the output of a python program that I created which monitors the site every day:

Issued.JPG

I also gave them a call this morning to ask why after 8 weeks I still do not see myself listed and they said it has only been three weeks - since they don't start the clock until they get the NCEES upload of our scores, and that was three weeks ago.

I am glad I called though, since they brought up my file on their screen and took a look to see if anything was holding my application up.  They asked me a few questions, including:

• Did I file a form explaining any criminal convictions?
  • Do I already have a PE license in another State?
  • Has there been ANY New York State license complaints filed on me for ANY other licenses I may have?
  • Is my Drivers license scheduled to expire within the next 4-months?
After I answered no to all that, I was told that my license is "in the queue", and that I should see my number assigned within the next two to three weeks, followed by receiving my two certificates two to three weeks after that.  I did try asking where I was in the "queue", but they would not tell me since that would imply that they move applications around within the "queue."  Further, the said my order in the "queue" is determined by when my scores actually arrived on their computer system.

Before hitting the 'Submit Reply' button on this thread message, I logged into my home computer and ran it for today.  As of 1:20pm EDT, not additional licenses (beyond what is shown in my table above) have been issued :waiting:

Thanks, that is very much appreciated, however I have experience with those !@#$%.  As A matter of fact, unfortunately I work for one of the 'other' State agencies - one that make the State legitimate money by offering a competitive service  :(  

We have to just 'grin' :rolleyes:  and wait.  Today when I called I was actually "embarrassed" by not have drilled the person I was talking to a 'New One' (those of you reading this who are not in New York, please pardon the expression).'  Even when I got home and told my wife how I reacted - Not- she was shocked, and she is a pacifist.

NY-Computer-Engineer also pointed out something in his other thread I just noticed, initially the NYS website said 4-6 weeks until licenses would be issued, then a couple weeks ago they changed the website to read 6-8 weeks, and now they just changed it again to simply read 8 weeks. They issued 1 license on 7/18 and 1 license on 7/19, none so far today, I guess it takes an 8 hour work day to enter each result? The other states really put NY to shame on this one.

NY-Computer-Engineer also pointed out something in his other thread I just noticed, initially the NYS website said 4-6 weeks until licenses would be issued, then a couple weeks ago they changed the website to read 6-8 weeks, and now they just changed it again to simply read 8 weeks. They issued 1 license on 7/18 and 1 license on 7/19, none so far today, I guess it takes an 8 hour work day to enter each result? The other states really put NY to shame on this one.
I agree - they've put us to shame.  It hits me even harder since I work for 'another' State agency.

Back