New PEs... what're you focusing on now?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After passing, my wife wants to gift me an Omega watch...been busy researching what I want...feeling very fancy while doing so... :Chris:
Nice! I bought myself a DSLR camera after taking the exam just for my hard work that I put into studying. The wife and I are going out to a fancy steakhouse to celebrate my new PE status.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

LOL I know that feeling.

Focus on health, family and personal wellness for now...let it sink it and enjoy the success for a while. I am still enjoying mine 3 years after I passed! Still benefiting from it. 

This is what I have been doing...

working out, gym, take oversea vacations, enjoy Christmas 

After passing, my wife wants to gift me an Omega watch...been busy researching what I want...feeling very fancy while doing so... :Chris:
Good choice.

I got married last weekend and my wife got me a Tag Heuer as a wedding/PE/Christmas present. 

Not sure if anyone has done it, but what advantage would one have by having their PE licenses in both mechanical and civil?  I have a civil/structural BS and a mechanical MS.  I have worked as a test engineer, structural analyst, fabrication engineer, project engineer, etc.  I recently passed the civil/structural pe this October.  The problem is that I work as a government contractor which doesn't require licensure.  Am I just a glutton for punishment for wanting to go after another license?

As an engineer I want improve in my communication and writing skills. I was interested in training like Seven Habits or some other courses. Has anyone taken a course? Any recommendations on videos that focus on this information? 

^ watch guys:  we should have a separate thread about engineer's hobbies.  I guess it's just our nature that we like intricate mechanical watches.  :)
I know right...though my wife wants me to buy an Omega..she doesnt get that I have to manually wind some of these watches...haha...I for one though love the fact that its all precise and mechanical inside..

Not sure if anyone has done it, but what advantage would one have by having their PE licenses in both mechanical and civil?  I have a civil/structural BS and a mechanical MS.  I have worked as a test engineer, structural analyst, fabrication engineer, project engineer, etc.  I recently passed the civil/structural pe this October.  The problem is that I work as a government contractor which doesn't require licensure.  Am I just a glutton for punishment for wanting to go after another license?
Totally depends on the state.  Many states don't legally treat separate PE licenses differently.  Therefore if you have a PE, and you ethically feel you are competent to design "X" then you can do the design.  However, some do legally treat different PE licenses differently. It should be noted that there are quite a few states that are "roster designation" states in which a mechanical PE is rostered differently than a structural PE, etc.  However, even most of these roster designation states legally don't treat the separate licenses differently, and still allow a mechanical PE to design structure if they feel they qualified... its confusing but I'd guess for about 40 out of the 50 states in the union (this is a guess) there is absolutely zero benefit to multiple licenses.  But, there potentially are benefits in the other 10... so... it just depends.  

And I just passed the LEED Green Associate exam. Now to study for the AP exam. 

Totally depends on the state.  Many states don't legally treat separate PE licenses differently.  Therefore if you have a PE, and you ethically feel you are competent to design "X" then you can do the design.  However, some do legally treat different PE licenses differently. It should be noted that there are quite a few states that are "roster designation" states in which a mechanical PE is rostered differently than a structural PE, etc.  However, even most of these roster designation states legally don't treat the separate licenses differently, and still allow a mechanical PE to design structure if they feel they qualified... its confusing but I'd guess for about 40 out of the 50 states in the union (this is a guess) there is absolutely zero benefit to multiple licenses.  But, there potentially are benefits in the other 10... so... it just depends.  
Totally to add on.  I'm in California, so I ended up having both the civil and mechanical PE, because they are treated differently, and I don't want to get into the position where I design some mechanical system and am "not covered."  I'm have a mechanical engineering background but I do lots of construction projects now so I wanted to make sure.  There's a weird gray area of how civil engineering is defined in California where you can do fixed works and "supplementary engineering" like related pumps and electrical systems, but you still have to work in your area of competence. I just got both and be done with it.  I actually don't need a PE in my industry but it's nice to have a backup plan.

What am I focusing on now? Hmm, getting back to a life that has been more or less foreign to me while I tried to pass this darned exam three times. Haha!

That basically means running more, camping, hiking, and taking trips, and just being a social person again. Cooking more, too! Maybe I'll finally get around to experimenting with baking my own bread this summer, like I've wanted to for a while now.

I earned my Masters in Computer Science early in my career (25 plus years ago), then earned a Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) credential that was expedited (and to the most part required) by the job I held about 15 years ago.

Five years ago in my current job, I had the opportunity (and took it) to earn an MBA on my employers dime :)   Then I rolled right into working on my PE.  Sort of going back and forth between left-brain and right-brain challenges.

Now I am really not really sure what I should do next. 

I think I may be a little too old (and too tired, and too broke) to go for a Doctorate as a follow-on to one of my two Master's Degrees, since that would take another five years (and needing to take out a student loan I could never repay prior to retirement).  Though I seriously considered doing just that rather than going for my PE a couple of years ago.  As a side note, since I work for a State Agency, I believe I actually may have reached the point of diminishing returns on education and certifications as career enhancers.  This is sort of hard to explain unless you are working for a similar organization, but I was already feeling the negativity from co-workers and vintage management after earning an MBA (considering the credentials I already had under my belt, and the mentality I am surrounded by where 'time in grade' is the only appreciated credential).  I am quite concerned (and fairly certain) that even more negativity will follow now that I've earned a PE.  I know that sounds sad, but I do believe that to be a truth.

At this moment (as I write this), I am thinking on just switching back to right-side-brain improvements, and reading some of the classic literature I have always wanted to delve into.  I've heard that switching back and forth like that helps keep a human brain healthy as it ages (and keeps some of the 'marbles' where they belong).  Another option would be to focus on writing a book of my own that might impart some of what I have learned in life to those in the line behind me.  Does anyone else out there love the Country Music song, "Humble and Kind", by Tim McGraw?

Nothing else to do, I'm in the early 30s but I have seen it all, life is short, I'll spend time with family and give myself time to do things that I love that is not work.

I took this PE because I was forced to take it, I passed 1st try the hard part is the preparation, 3months of no life but I think its all worth it. But I am not willing to do that again..I just felt sorry for my family that they have to go through that 3 months of no life as well. 

We all probably at our half of our lives, spend it wisely. Making money only comes 5th on my list. But the one above always provides it abundantly. 

Due to a variety of factors and events (including, but not limited to, studying for and retaking the PE exam multiple times, finishing grad school, getting the PMP, plus a 5 hour commute to work, blah blah blah) I effectively lost the past three years to professional development. I sacrificed significant time with friends and family and said "no" to a lot of events and opportunities that were important to me. I wish I hadn't, tomorrow is not guaranteed and I let the promise of a better tomorrow take over appreciating today. But no more.

I sold it to myself as an "investment" in myself and I believe it will all pay off. So, in answer to the question, this year is all about re-centering and spending time with LadySquare and doing the stuff I put off (including, but not limited to, starting a family, traveling, bike camping, biking to work, beer brewing, [re]-starting my bicycle framebuilding shop, starting up the Squaretaper hops plantation).

I know you weirdos get it. Best of luck on all your new shenanigans.

Latest posts

Back