NCEES Credentials Evaluation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atf TX

Reaction score
Has anyone got their Bachelors foreign degree evaluated by NCEES. If so have they come back with any additional requirements? 

If you have a 4 yr bachelor of engineering degree from a foreign country . For degree verification, do they need transcript/mark sheets for all 4 yrs /8 semesters? 

I had enough work experience, so when I applied with NY board they approved me to take FE and PE and I passed my PE last April. But I see there is education verification unverified at MyNCEES and I was thinking this could be helpful to get everything verified in case you have to apply for comity license etc.

Can someone throw some light on this? 

@roy167, from what state are you trying to apply? Typically, one of the requirement for credential evaluation for foreign engineering degree is the course outline for all your subjects in college. You should request it at your university where you got your engineering degree and the university should send it directly to the evaluation consultant. I would suggest if there is  other evaluation consultant other    than NCEES, it would be better. Josef Silny is a good credential evaluation consultant. But you need to double check it with your  engineering state board if which consultant they will accept.

@BebeshKingas stated, I already passed my PE from NY. I sent the paper application to NY board, did not use the degree credits as I had enough credits from work experience and  I just sent them verification letters from my bosses. 

Now I'm looking at the NCEES portal and it doesn't have my degree verification. I was just trying to get that squared away that way in future transferring license to different state won't be any issue. 

@BebeshKingas stated, I already passed my PE from NY. I sent the paper application to NY board, did not use the degree credits as I had enough credits from work experience and  I just sent them verification letters from my bosses. 

Now I'm looking at the NCEES portal and it doesn't have my degree verification. I was just trying to get that squared away that way in future transferring license to different state won't be any issue. 
Did you send your transcripts to NCEES? When I was filling out their education verification, that was one of the steps.

if you have a foreign degree, depending on where it’s from, you may need to use their Credential Evaluation service: https://ncees.org/records/ncees-credentials-evaluations/

• Applicants who earned degrees through non-EAC/ABET-accredited programs (including most programs outside the United States) are usually required to have their credentials evaluated by NCEES before being approved.
The question I have is, I already appeared and passed FE and PE. I'm confused as to why would I need to do this? It is like not like I'm seeking approval from board to appear for FE/PE exams. 

Can someone explain what is the need of RECORD section in myNCEES? especially when you have passed PE and have the license number from a state board, in my case, it is from NY board. 

• Applicants who earned degrees through non-EAC/ABET-accredited programs (including most programs outside the United States) are usually required to have their credentials evaluated by NCEES before being approved.
The question I have is, I already appeared and passed FE and PE. I'm confused as to why would I need to do this? It is like not like I'm seeking approval from board to appear for FE/PE exams. 

Can someone explain what is the need of RECORD section in myNCEES? especially when you have passed PE and have the license number from a state board, in my case, it is from NY board. 
Let me give an example: In WA (and NY, from your description), you are allowed to get your PE license by virtue of your work experience, whether or not you have a degree. In other states, you are restricted from being licensed unless you have an ABET-accredited degree, even if you have a lot of work experience  (I believe FL is one of those states).

The NCEES record is designed to meet the minimum standards for licensure in most states, so your application process can be made easier. It is a safe bet that you should have a degree to be licensed, since many states have this written into their application process in some shape or form. Some states allow you to use the NCEES record system for application for initial OR comity/reciprocity licensure, and some allow you to use it for comity/reciprocity only.

Seeing as how you probably have a license without a valid degree, I would guess that you will have a difficult time getting licensed in other states where a degree is required unless you can verify your degree meets NCEES/the state’s standards. The purpose of the NCEES credential evaluation is to allow for a standard means against which to compare your education.

Hope that makes sense.

I recently got mine evaluated. I have a bachelors from India and a MS and MBA from US universities. NCEES still came up with deficiency in 2 credits Basic Math/Science. I just don't understand their arbitrary scoring for credits obtained in a foriegn country.

For those of us who graduated long time ago and can't remember exactly what was the subject syllabus, how do you get this info? In some foreign countries there is no system of credit hours, units etc , how do you get this info? 

I think they are looking for units and course description.  I don't know whether transcript provide unit? I'm working on transcript and not sure what will it contain. 

Course (units)

Description

Design of Bridges (3)

Highway loading; load distribution; moving loads; deck girder bridges; design of bridge elements; piers, abutments; specifications and codes; bridge construction

@roy167

In my case, I requested that the registrar's office at my alma mater produce the required syllabus, with course descriptions, of all the courses I took and mail this directly to NCEES.  (My university had a standardized form for this.)

Another option, which is a lot of work, is to try to find copies of the university's general calendar from when you were a student (I know that the university I graduated from houses them in their main library), scan the course descriptions, compile them with evidence that they came from the university's general calendar and upload them (as a PDF if my memory is correct) to NCESS through your dashboard in a help request.

I know my transcripts contained the following elements (YMMV):

• The student's name and day/month of birth
• The student ID number
• Program of study including major, minor, concentration
• List of courses and grades earned by level (non-degree, undergraduate, graduate)
• Term GPA
• Record of academic standing
• Summary of transfer credit from other institutions
• Academic awards and scholarships
• Degree awarded with the degree date

Hope this helps.

I recently got mine evaluated. I have a bachelors from India and a MS and MBA from US universities. NCEES still came up with deficiency in 2 credits Basic Math/Science. I just don't understand their arbitrary scoring for credits obtained in a foriegn country.
I came to know yesterday that i am missing 5 credits, did you find out what exactly you need to do earn the missing credits? Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks

The following was the reply from NCEES when I asked about the basis or evaulation and their recommendation to eliminate the deficiency. I could not attach pdf so i took a screen shot of the attachment.

"Your evaluation was completed using the NCEES Engineering Education Standard, to which all non EAC/ABET accredited degrees are compared to. Courses are converted to U.S. credits for a 4 year program such as yours converted to 128 credits....5 year programs to 160. You can find information about this standard on our website or the following link:http://ncees.org/engineering/ncees-engineering-education-standard/This standard was written by members of US state engineering licensing boards as a way to evaluate a person’s education against a generally agreed upon set of educational criteria. Please understand that if your report indicates deficiencies, this does not necessarily mean that your state licensing board will not permit you to sit for the exam or to be comity licensed in their jurisdiction. Ultimately, the individual state licensing boards make that decision based upon a number of factors, one of which is the NCEES Credentials Evaluation. You should be sure to contact them for advice on how to proceed for exam eligibility and/or licensure in their state.State licensing boards will then take this report and fit it to their own requirements. This will be different in every state. Some state licensing boards will expect that your evaluation will be equivalent, or Meet the NCEES Engineering Education Standard. Still, other state licensing boards may allow for deficiencies based on other factors in your application with their board, such as experience, post-graduate degrees etc. Again, please check with them and they will advise you whether you would need to make up these deficiencies or if you can proceed with the licensure process despite the deficiencies.When the evaluation is transmitted to a US state board for review, the evaluation can be interpreted however they would like. It is always up to a US state engineering licensing board to make any final approval to sit for an exam or for licensure since they are issuing the license. Again contact your state licensing board as they will advise you how to proceed in the process, in their jurisdiction. If a state board recommends action or if you feel you want to be proactive to eliminate deficiencies, let me know I can assist you in that process, in the selection of college classes or by the use of CLEP or DSST Exams, see the attached list of CLEP & DSST Exams that are acceptable. Then purchase a re-evaluation from your dashboard page."

image.png

Thanks for the response. I got a similar response from NCEES upon questioning. I cant pick calculus or chemistry because i have credits for those already. So, I am left with Biology or Natural Science to cover up my credits. 

Hey Guys, my foreign degree transcript is sent by my university by airmail, which requires signature by the receiver. On the NCEES transcript request form, the address is PO box meaning there won't be any person to sign it and I'm afraid that the transcript might be returned. Did anyone have any experience with this?  

Missing 1 hour biology or chemistry
Missing 9 hours of General education

What does an hour mean here?  Does it mean 1 credit hour? and 9 credit hour?  How do I go about removing the deficiency? I'm licensed PE in NY state but would like to seek a license in a different state. Can I go ahead and still apply? 
 I took biology/chemistry at high school level. Does that not count? Our curriculum did n't offer these classes at undergrad level. 

Last edited by a moderator:

What does an hour mean here?  Does it mean 1 credit hour? and 9 credit hour?  How do I go about removing the deficiency? I'm licensed PE in NY state but would like to seek a license in a different state. Can I go ahead and still apply? 
 I took biology/chemistry at high school level. Does that not count? Our curriculum did n't offer these classes at undergrad level. 
It likely means 1 credit hour. And no, high school wouldn't count. It needs to be from a college. You can get clarification from NCEES directly about it.

You could still apply to other states but you need to meet their requirements. And these missing credits could cause you to not meet requirements there.

Warrior said:
Hopefully, I will be able to meet my State Boards requirement in Education now. I will share that experience too. 
So after you remove the deficiency,  you have to order another credential evaluation (meaning pay $350)? , can you verify or there is only one time fee of $350? 

So after you remove the deficiency,  you have to order another credential evaluation (meaning pay $350)? , can you verify or there is only one time fee of $350? 
You need to pay $100 for re-evaluation (not $350) and it takes only 2-3 business days for completion.

In my experience on this topic so far, most of the state boards will ask you to complete missing 1 credit in Math/Science to process your License application. My report said that i am missing 5 credits each in Math/Science and General Education. My state board wants only Math/Science missing credits to be completed.

My report had like 35 credits which were not considered (i don't know how the evaluation works). Contact NCEES as advised be a fellow member. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back