NC folks...Watch Out

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know where I live, which is 30 miles or so E of the eye. Hopefully its just a TS once it gets here. A couple of people I work with live 20 miles or so W of me and closer to the eye. One of them I hope it all works out for, the other one I could care less.
I figured you'd be right in the eye

View attachment 4611

Hope everyone continues to be safe and sound and escape unscathed.
Had to laugh at this one. I mean, this is a serious situation but that post was funny.

Wasn't too bad at MB this weekend. Friday night there was some fairly strong winds, but not too bad. Got quite a bit of rain, but nothing flooded as far as I know. Looks like the eastern seaboard took a licking. The Outer Banks were hit pretty hard it seems. Destroyed part of the only road connecting Hatteras Island with the mainland, so everyone out there has to rely on ferries to go back and forth.

My first year at ECU we were hit by 3 tropical storms/hurricanes, culminating in Hurricane Floyd which shut down school for over a week because of flooding. I remember walking to class in 40 mph winds and it pouring the rain. Nothing like sitting through class soaking wet.

Hope all of our eber's are safe this morning!

We are safe. We lost power for about a day and a half. It came on last night at 9:00. We ran on generator during the outage. No major damage in our neighborhood. Flooded garages, trees down in yards, outbuildings damaged. There were a lot of trees on houses and homes flooded in the surrounding area. It was a nasty storm and affected a lot of people. Hope everyone up the east coast is ok.

pretty much just a wasted weekend for me. Some rain, maybe 2 in. total.

Lots of wind. Small stuff got pulled out of the trees but nothing to speak of. We lost power for maybe an hour out of the whole thing.

I know I was pretty lucky and many people did not fare so well. Sorry for those that suffered damages.

I was watching news footage of some rather large boats that broke moorings and either ended up onshore or were battering against other boats. That's really got to suck. Boats (and hoes) ain't cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
^My neighborhood took a pounding. Two transformers exploded, leaving the busiest intersection in Town sans lights. My neighbors across the street took a big branch on their car, someone a couple blocks away had a tree on the house and another across the road.

We were lucky. Mostly twigs and braches, and lots of leaves. No power until Wed PM though. My attempt to clean mysef in the shower this morning felt like being peed on, if your pee is the temp of a mountain lake.

We got it pretty good here in Charlotte. I had a gust of wind knock a pot holder 2, maybe three fit off the side of my grill. Only damage reported by my family back in CT are loss of power and a couple bigger trees that uprooted from the mushy ground and tipped over.

^My neighborhood took a pounding. Two transformers exploded, leaving the busiest intersection in Town sans lights. My neighbors across the street took a big branch on their car, someone a couple blocks away had a tree on the house and another across the road.
We were lucky. Mostly twigs and braches, and lots of leaves. No power until Wed PM though. My attempt to clean mysef in the shower this morning felt like being peed on, if your pee is the temp of a mountain lake.
how did helena and rupert handle the storm? Are they storm lovers or haters?

Here is a pic of the new inlet on the Outer Banks. I believe this is right around where the house made famous by the movie Nights in Rodanthe used to be.

17Neql.St.138.jpg

We got a little rain and some wind last night, but otherwise our weekend was sunny and pleasant.

Oh wait, is this not the weather thread?

how did helena and rupert handle the storm? Are they storm lovers or haters?
Rupie freaked out around 6:30 AM a little before the heavy stuff started, in the way that animals can sense a storm coming.

We were lucky, my old stomping grounds in VT didn't fare well.

^The second half of that comic describes pretty much every weather briefing I get when there is the slightest chance of either icing or thunderstorms within 500 miles of where I intend to fly.

Yup, looks like our trip to OBX may be cancelled... we were headed to our first vacation in 3+ yrs Sept. 11th-18th.... I doubt HWY 12 will be back up and running for tourism then....

Headed to Salvo... from the sounds of it, Buxton to Rodanthe is drivable.. but there are 2 or 3 breaks north of Rodanthe... I figured they were reserving ferry travel for those that lived there/property owners... I'm not sure how long it would take NCDOT/nat'l guard to fix the breaks (even if it was a temp fix for supplies/etc)...

I saw that... just our luck... I'm just wondering how long I have to wait to find out we can't go... I'd like to make reservations somewhere else (like Garden City,SC) if I can't go to OBX...

Back