NC folks...Watch Out

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to be interested in how long it takes for the cell phone system to become overwhelmed and fail.

VT, tell your mom to stay safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's got the makings of an interesting weekend.

We're supposed to get anywhere from 2-8 inches of rain from this thing. I hope I end up closer to the 2 in. side.

First the "quake" and now this. what's next...frogs? locusts?

I hope you guys in the NE megopolis are prepped for a week or so without electricity, because that's what some of y'all may be facing.

I'm going to be interested in how long it takes for the cell phone system to become overwhelmed and fail.

I hope you guys in the NE megopolis are prepped for a week or so without electricity, because that's what some of y'all may be facing.
Even if call volume doesn't over-run the system, the cell phone system will last between 4 and 8 hours after the power goes. That's assuming the valve-regulated cells they use in their batteries are in good condition.

VT, tell your mom to stay safe.
X2.

In other news, it's my wife's first hurricane.
You never forget your first hurricane. This one was mine...went right over Columbia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_David

Of course, we stayed in school and absolutely nothing shut. Today, Charleston schools were closed and they aren't supposed to get anything but low winds and no rain. Sissies.

I was 5 or 6 when Hurricane David hit Savannah, the house right next to ours was totally wiped out by a 100+ year old Oak Tree, we move to Atlanta Metro Suburbia Area the following year..

but probably the real reason we moved was that Savannah (Chatham County) actually still had bussing going on in the late 70's,

Not even calling for rain here in Charlotte.

Thankfully it keeps losing strength as it moves inland.

Now they're talking 1-2 in. rain in the Boston area with sustained winds of ~50mph for about 12 hours.

MSN is reporting it made landfall as a Cat 1. I guess that's good news considering it was a Cat 4 at one point...

Good luck guys, keep safe.

Now they're talking 1-2 in. rain in the Boston area with sustained winds of ~50mph for about 12 hours.
Where did you see that? I saw Cat 1 strength with the eye passing by the I-90/I-84 interchange.

Talked to my mom a little while ago. NYC is going into lockdown mode. And the town where I was born in Long Island is borderline evac territory.

It is a NASTY storm. The south side is over us now and the wind is terrible. Less rain than the north side, but worse wind.

Where did you see that? I saw Cat 1 strength with the eye passing by the I-90/I-84 interchange.

Talked to my mom a little while ago. NYC is going into lockdown mode. And the town where I was born in Long Island is borderline evac territory.
If the eye passes near I-90/I-84 that's pretty far west of the city which is one the coast. Models show the bulk of the rain is on the westward side of the storm and near the eye, a fair distance from the Boston area.

I'll bet money that this is downgraded to a tropical storm before it gets to us.

They evacuated some buildings in NYC last Tuesday because of the big earthquake too.

It's called overreaction.

You know where I live, which is 30 miles or so E of the eye. Hopefully its just a TS once it gets here. A couple of people I work with live 20 miles or so W of me and closer to the eye. One of them I hope it all works out for, the other one I could care less.

You know where I live, which is 30 miles or so E of the eye. Hopefully its just a TS once it gets here. A couple of people I work with live 20 miles or so W of me and closer to the eye. One of them I hope it all works out for, the other one I could care less.
I figured you'd be right in the eye

hurrigoat.jpg

Hope everyone continues to be safe and sound and escape unscathed.

Back