National Society of Professional Engineers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are a bigger man than I DK... I would ride this one to the end (meaning my termination)... But I have a problem letting people slide when they are wrong, wether they are in a position of authority or not.

You are a bigger man than I DK... I would ride this one to the end (meaning my termination)... But I have a problem letting people slide when they are wrong, wether they are in a position of authority or not.
I agree with sschell, you are the better person. If you ever leave, maybe then you can take revenge :Banane36:

from http://www.nspe.org

to join as an "Engineer Professional" member type.

Engineer Professional Engineer Professional membership is open to anyone holding either a valid license as a Professional Engineer in the U.S. or Canada, or an Engineer-In-Training or Engineering Intern certification issued under the laws of any state, territory, possession or district of the U.S., or its international equivalent.

A person who has graduated with a bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited engineering curriculum may also apply for provisional status as a member for up to two years to achieve the full requirements for member grade.
I suspect your boss (if his membership is valid) joined many years ago when they were trying to build membership and maybe did not require a PE registration to join. Obviously , the qualifications have changed and he would not be eligible for membership under the current requirements. You could always point that out to him.

I would suggest taking the high road and letting it go. I'm a firm believer in picking your battles, winning the battles you pick, and making sure that winning is worth the consequences. Basically, make sure the juice is worth the squeeze. In this case, for me, it wouldn't be worth it.

^another man who is bigger than I...

I know that would be the best thing to do... and as an outside observer, I would like to tell myself that is what I would do if I were in that situation... I just don't think I would be able to muster the self control required to bite my lip in that situation. I worked f*ckin' hard to get a license, I am proud of that, and I am proud of what the license is/stands for.

Hmm I don't know... seeing the dudes face when he is told his membership has been revoked would be some seriously sweet juice...

I would suggest taking the high road and letting it go. I'm a firm believer in picking your battles, winning the battles you pick, and making sure that winning is worth the consequences. Basically, make sure the juice is worth the squeeze. In this case, for me, it wouldn't be worth it.

:appl:

Exactly. If your goal in life is to educate and correct all the ass clowns in the world, you're going to be a very busy person.

DK is absolutely taking the right approach, which is to let it go, minus a little venting on here. I have every confidence that if "the guy" takes it to a point where action is needed, action will be taken. He's pretty far from that point.

That being said, yeah, what an ultra marooooon.

I dont think that is really the high road. What the boss is doing is technically illegal.

so he must have at least passed the FE exam to even be welcomed into this society. Taking liberties with the joint membership they accept.
Or he just doen't really understand the difference and doesn't want to see the light.
No to the first statement. He has not passed the EIT (or FE).

He understands the difference. He does not give a darn. So far it has worked for him.
Just ask him to stamp a drawing...

That will prove quickly whether or not he is a PE :)

I think he was just trying to brag a little and got caught (who else was in this group that you overheard this with, any ladies?).

I dont think that is really the high road. What the boss is doing is technically illegal.

He does not market himself as a Professional Engineer. His comment came out of a conversation when someone asked him if he was a PE.

This seems to be an internal conversation, not offering himself to the public as such.

He can call himself King of the Professional Engineers, Esq. all he wants in his office, and I doubt the board will care.

I have a feeling if you report him to a board for refering to himself internally as a PE and not offering his services to a client as a PE, the board will not persue it, and it will make you look petty.

Last edited by a moderator:

He does not market himself as a Professional Engineer. His comment came out of a conversation when someone asked him if he was a PE.

This seems to be an internal conversation, not offering himself to the public as such.

He can call himself King of the Professional Engineers, Esq. all he wants in his office, and I doubt the board will care.

I have a feeling if you report him to a board for refering to himself internally as a PE and not offering his services to a client as a PE, the board will not persue it, and it will make you look petty.
I'd be willing to bet that if he said it in this conversation, he's been saying it to other folks who are outside of his immediate workplace who dont know any better. He's obviously got PE envy.

I'm not saying I'd run to the board, but at a minimum I'd show him all the state regulations regarding the term professional engineer, and ask him to stop as a sign of respect for those who are licensed PEs.

I'd be willing to bet that if he said it in this conversation, he's been saying it to other folks who are outside of his immediate workplace who dont know any better. He's obviously got PE envy.
I'm not saying I'd run to the board, but at a minimum I'd show him all the state regulations regarding the term professional engineer, and ask him to stop as a sign of respect for those who are licensed PEs.
From everything DK has told us about his boss, doing that would do nothing other than make DKs work life more miserable.

From the discriptions he looks like a total douche. I would hate for someone like that to get away with misrepresenting his credentials. My suggestion would be to contact the NSPE board to have his membership revoked not the state licensing board. He is obviously violating value number 4 at least. Sraymond posted the NSPE core values above.

On a related note. This thread got me interested in NSPE. So far I'm only an ASCE member, used to be an ACI member but I let that lapse. I went to the website and it looks like they offer some neat courses. Is anyone a member and if so would you recommend it?

Ahhh one of those folks who is immune to reason. You have to wonder how people like that get the jobs they have.

If you go to the NCEES website and click on "Licensing Boards" at the top it will take you to listing of boards by state. There is a link to a "View Laws, Rule and Regulations" section which has information on the policies of each states licensing board. One of these questions/answers is (this is cut and pasted for the state of Kentucky):

Q: Which of the following terms are partially or fully restricted in their usage in your jurisdiction? (Check all that apply.)

A: Variations of "engineer" (e.g., registered engineer, licensed engineer), Professional engineer

Amen to that!!!!

It is not illegal but shows lack of integrity and principles. Any engineer knows what a PE is and what are the necessary steps to get there.

From everything DK has told us about his boss, doing that would do nothing other than make DKs work life more miserable.
And you are right Snick. I am already misserable and hopeless. I have nothing to win out of this and my job to loose. I have been thrown to a corner and as an engineer right now I am finished. But I have bills to pay and he is the Golden Boy of management(because he is a PAK). He has no engineering background or formation. But he can talk in such a way that gives you the impression he knows what he is saying until you ask him to clarify a point. Then you realized that it is a well learned script and nothing else...just empty words. He has no clue what he is saying.

Ahhh one of those folks who is immune to reason. You have to wonder how people like that get the jobs they have.
I have asked the same question several times. How did he get where he is? It is incredible but looking at how things are in upper management here it makes sense. It only takes one idiot with initiative to reach the top. Once he/she is there it goes Soouth in a hurry. That person will be sure not to hire somebody better than him and we all know that shit flows downward. Then the field personell have to work miracles to make things work and meet the goals. I tried to fix that attacking the problem in the design group. What a huge mistake. I messed with the wrong marine. Did not work well for me. As a result of that most of my responsabilities were taken away. I do not perform even a 10% of my job description. Now I am not dangerous for them.

The philosophy here is that managers, supervisors, and lead engineers do not need to have knowledge. They just have to be good communicators (sic). They hide behind diversity and safety initiatives to cloud the fact that they are uncapable of perform a job becuase they know a rat ass about it. But they have meetings everyday, they go to lunch together and cover their six. Things will hopefuly will change whenever their big boss leaves :holyness: In the meantime I am still here. That means more time to post at EB.

Back