Name on seal stamp question (CA)?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irap

Reaction score
If your California PE certificate shows your full first, middle, and last names, will it be okay to show full first name, middle initial, full last name in your seal stamp? I just read the board rules, just make sure I read it right. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, the name on your stamp should match your signature. If you put it on your stamp, you may be legally obligated to sign it that way (like bank documents).

Last edited by a moderator:
If your California PE certificate shows your full first, middle, and last names, will it be okay to show full first name, middle initial, full last name in your seal stamp? I just read the board rules, just make sure I read it right. Thanks.
I believe you read it right.

"The seal may contain an abbreviated form of the licensee’s given name or a
combination of initials representing the licensee’s given name provided the surname listed with
the Board appears on the seal and in the signature.
" (CA Board Rules)

To me that reads: "Initials + full Last Name" is fine.

Plus nowadays anyone can just look up the license # and find out the full name on the lookup site anyway...

combination of initials representing the licensee’s given name provided the surname listed with
" (CA Board Rules)

Plus nowadays anyone can just look up the license # and find out the full name on the lookup site anyway...
Right on Andy, thanks.

Correct.  Your last name must be your full last name, but your first and middle names can be abbreviated.

" (CA Board Rules)

I also read that the license expiration date is not required to be on your engineering seal and stamp. 

Latest posts

Back