MUTCD Warrant 1

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John QPE

Straight Outta Compton
Reaction score
Can someone please explain in clear terms, "Footnote 'b'" of Table 4C-1 for me (page 438).

I think I have this written out in my notes incorrectly.

It is my understanding that for this warrant you fist check Condition 'A' 100% then Condition 'B' 100%

If neither of these satisfy, then you can "combine" the two Conditions.

For instance 1 lane on each approach would result ...

Warrant 1 would be satisfied with 400 vehicles on the Major approaches, and 60 on the higher volume minor.

View attachment 4c-1.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I don't think you can combine and simply meet the lowest values of each condition.  I don't think your example would qualify as satisfying Warrant 1.  Read Section 4C.02, Standard paragraph 07.  For the warrant to be satisfied, using the 80% column, you would need to meet the maximum vehicle volume for all four cases - the number of lanes row in each of Conditions A and B, and each of the two columns in each condition (VPH on the major street and VPH on the minor street).  So, for one lane on each approach, using the 80% columns, you would need 600 VPH major and 120 minor.  Does that make sense?  Do you agree?

Did you look at the file I have posted. What yo are saying makes sense, I think; and must be the reason why I have 120 minor from Condition 'A' circled, and 720 Condition 'B'

So given the 1-lane example above, you think it would be met if we had 120 on the minor and 600 on the major?

I don't have the MUTCD with me right now. Let me look at this again tomorrow.

Did you look at the file I have posted. What yo are saying makes sense, I think; and must be the reason why I have 120 minor from Condition 'A' circled, and 720 Condition 'B'

So given the 1-lane example above, you think it would be met if we had 120 on the minor and 600 on the major?

I don't have the MUTCD with me right now. Let me look at this again tomorrow.
No, sorry, I used your PDF but didn't really look at your notes. 

Yes, I think what your notes shows is correct - circling the 720 major and 120 minor is correct (for 2 or more approach lanes major, 1 minor; 80% column). 

Yeah, so basically you are comparing the Minor street in Condition 'A' to the Major street in Condition 'B'

Back