Movie thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah we went to see the new Jumanji movie, too. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't say I loved it. 

Yeah I will pass as well....

I saw they are remaking Midway- I hope they keep the strategy aspect of the battles over just shock and awe planes and bombs.

I made my teenagers watch the original and they were actually impressed with the movie.
Did you end up seeing it?

I saw Midway this weekend and was impressed. I haven't seen the original, but I felt like the strategy aspects generally took precedence over shock and awe.

I was also really surprised that they gave their one F-bomb to Nick Jonas, but even that was well done.

I have not but I was thinking of catching it Christmas day? - hopefully we can find an empty theater while the masses are at star wars!

Also not sure if I mentioned this but my kids (20,18,16) all watched Dr. Strangelove over thanksgiving and were absolutely entertained!  You know its good when they keep quoting it...  +1

giphy.gif

Yeah we went to see the new Jumanji movie, too. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't say I loved it. 
Maybe it was because I was missing home (so the accent really was a hole-in-one for me) and the audience I was watching it with were actually laughing at loud/enjoying the movie?  I find that makes a difference when you're not the only one laughing out loud.

Saw Star Wars: the Rise of Skywalker this weekend.  No spoilers - I will start a separate thread for spoiler discussion - but I personally, really enjoyed it.

I speak as a true Star Wars, full generation fan. I saw the first Star Wars (A New Hope) in 1977 as a third grader with my grandfather. I was hooked ever since. Aside from that very first episode, even as a kid I recognized that these were not the greatest movies ever made (ahem ewoks), but I enjoyed the hell out of them and fully bought in to the universe that they created. 

This latest movie is no exception. I recognize that it is flawed but I enjoyed the hell out of it. I thought it was an excellent closure to the story. 

Also saw Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker.
No spoilers... I posted in the other thread. But wow, I am not a fan of this movie. It was definitely flawed and I can't get over those flaws to have a positive opinion of it. Might need to rewatch it.

I remember seeing the OG Star Wars when I was a kid. The family went to the drive in, one of those two screen back-2-back places, to see National Velvet.  They watched National Velvet, I sat on the roof of the car and watched Star Wars again on the opposite screen. I had already seen it so, even without sound, it was still better thanNational Velvet. 

Watched "Rise of Skywalker" yesterday.  For those who prefer to *ahem* watch their movies at home, there's a pretty good version available out there if you don't mind some Chinese subtitles.

Since "Joker" just came out on digital, I saw that too.  It was good, but man, it was equal parts depressing and disturbing.  Does more to make you feel bad for the Joker than anything.

Took a shot in the dark and watched “Fighting with my Family” -semi true story of a girls rise to fame as a female wrestler - I have never watched more than a few minutes of WWE in my life but this movie has a dozen or so laugh out loud moments - totally recommend...

I saw "Little Women" this past weekend with my sister.  Thoroughly enjoyed it, but you def need to be in a certain mindset to watch the movie.  Was shot in a very 'non-linear' way, jumping back and forth in timelines.  I did really like the way they highlighted some of the sisters, and romantic relationships that were kinda ignored in previous versions were brought to the front in this version, but the end-game romantic relationship of the lead was very out of the blue?  Like, if you read the book, you knew they ended up together, but in this movie it was very 'wait, why are they getting together?'.  Did like it.  Might try to see if again.  Did cry with sister in a theater consisting of only women.

Okay.  Unpopular opinion.  I saw Cats and didn't think it was that bad?  I mean, I know what the musical is about, which is frickin nuts, and it didn't change or modify the plot at all?  Some of the CGI was a little questionable, and I wish they had panned out a little bit more to see the dancing, but I thought it was an okay movie.  Not a great movie, but that's because I don't particularly like Cats itself?  The only thing that I felt was unnecessary was the inclusion of Taylor Swift.  All the other 'big' actors had roles as cats performing to try and 'win' the competition, but TS's role was something in the original production that was just played by one of the other cats?  And all of a sudden she's 'helping' Macavity?  And it seemed really shoe-horned in.

Idk.

What should I see next $5 Tuesday movie?   Star Wars?  1917 (I really want to see this, so I might see it on Sunday)?  There are actually a bunch of things playing that I kinda do want to see, so it's difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen 1917, but saw a show on the making of it, and how incredibly hard it was to get the cinematography right, since a single take would go on forever.  I would recommend seeing it.  

Saw John Wick 3 on HBO... they should have stopped after the first one.

So I'm seeing Knives Out tomorrow, since I think it's going to be leaving theaters soon (I'm like 99% sure) and the premise itself seems really fun.  I'm thinking if I'm not doing anything this Sunday I'll do a matinee of either Star Wars or 1917.  I love war/period films no matter what time period, from more recent to ancient times.

Finally saw It and it was f'd up.  The wifey-wife and I saw it on Friday.  So, naturally, we watched it again on Sunday with mini-MS1 and mini-MS2.  Mini 2 opted to play with Legos after 10 minutes, but Mini 1 stuck it out.  

Someone else please watch "Fighting with my Family" so we can make movie references about it!

Daughter made me watch Joker with her last night, really fucked up depressing movie, only good part was seeing Robert Deniro  get his brains blown out!

Daughter made me watch Joker with her last night, really fucked up depressing movie, only good part was seeing Robert Deniro  get his brains blown out!
After the mindless entertainment that is Avengers I thought Joker was very well done and definitely would see again.

I defin think Phoenix played the roll excellent, and it was less gory than what I was expecting but still just not for me. I had to watch an episode of family guy to cleanse my brain before I went to sleep.

Back