Movie thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw Aquaman over the Holiday weekend.

I went into that movie not expecting anything but it actually was way better than I expected. A definite Redbox rental.

Mary Poppins was pretty good, not going to lie, but the new Disney movies are kinda lacking...The first remake, Cinderella, was pretty good because it did follow the story/they did change things slightly.  Then Beauty and the Beast came out...and was word for word almost the original film/tidbits from the Broadway musical.  I'm interested in the Lion King, but there is going to be talking...I think it would have been really cool if they did "they are animals, they can't speak" for the whole film, but woe is me.

Saw "Welcome to Marwen".  It was all right.  Not sure if it was worth it?  Like the movie finished and I don't feel like the plot really moved-moved?  It just kinda scooted over.  Going to see "The Favourite" this weekend, have kinda high hopes because I love period dramas and this one seems like the costumes are really great!  There are also a couple of really cool Bollywood films starting this week at my theater that I kinda want to check out.

Actual video of the Disney creative team:

ElectricDistortedDunlin-max-1mb.gif

^Reviews said it wasn't one of eastwood's best, but that it was okay.

We're trying to decide on Mary Poppins or Aqua Man tonight.  I don't really want to see either.

I agree with roadguy that it seems like Hollywood isn't even trying anymore. Most of the stuff on Netflix and Amazon is orders of magnitude better than anything in the theaters anymore, so I have to wonder why Hollywood isn't recruiting any of that talent... but then again I guess it's completely different when you're trying to fit an epic story into a 2 hour run time versus a completely open ended run time with a minimum of 10 hours per season.  

I want to see mule when it’s out on “video”

We had a trustee (inmate on work release to army M-F 8-5) for years at my army reserve unit. He was a mule who spent a decade running coke from Miami to Chattanooga. Of course he got pulled over on his “last run” he was slated for over 30 years... but he had some interesting stories - he was afraid the cartels were going to show up at the unit and kill him for losing the coke. He was afraid to go outside the building by himself. And it creeped me out a bit to be around him. We had many rifles but 0 bullets!!!

We saw Spider-Man : into the spider verse. Was the best spider man mover ever. And probably the best animated movie I have ever seen. 

I watched the Batman LEGO movie yesterday.  Very entertaining.

I saw Aquaman. I thought it was horrible. I don't know what all they hype is. The acting was stiff (Heard was awful and the only redeeming quality was that she was often wet), the one liners predictable and sad and I'm still trying to figure out what the story was or why Aquaman turned into a giant scared wimp halfway through.

Did anyone see Game Night? That was actually pretty damn funny. That was our NYE movie of choice amongst the old college gang. Pretty entertaining and some twists I didn't see coming. Plus I like Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams. :D

The original Transformers cartoons had Bumblebee as a VW Beetle. The Michael Bay movies partnered with GM to be a marketing platform for Chevy (and specifically the Camaro), but they did stay true to his colors. Several of the characters were "modernized" for the movies (Starscream, Ratchet, Jazz, Barricade, Hound, and obviously Optimus Prime)

The first Transformers had both a 1987 Camaro as well as a 2007 concept car designed to be the reveal of the Camaro's return to production after being discontinued in 2002. Had both Shia Lebouf and Megan Fox.

Both Lebouf and Fox were in Transformers 2 (Revenge of the Fallen) as well.  - This is the version of Bumblebee that my Camaro most closely resembles. Was based on the 2010 production car and was also supposed to be the reveal of the Z28, but that didn't happen as planned (long story but basically GM didn't own the "Z-28" badging at the time).

They got rid of Fox and switched to the British blond in the 3rd (Dark of the Moon) because Fox and Michael Bay couldn't get along. - The stripes on Bee were changed from the traditional Rally stripes and they added a high-wing spoiler, but was basically a 2012 production car with some cosmetic upgrades. 

The 4th one (Age of Extinction) is where the whole human cast is replaced with Mark Wahlberg and his constantly crying teenage daughter. Had both a 1970 resto-mod Camaro and a semi-concept version of the 6th Gen Camaro.

I have only seen the 5th one (The Last Knight) once. Only returning human was Mark Wahlberg. It was hands down the worst of the series and Michael Bay got fired from the franchise (at least as director). Bumblebee was a production 6th Gen Camaro with a body kit. The part that bugged me the most was how Michael Bay made the main transformers characters disposable and only focused on 3-4 main ones. This isn't a George RR Martin series...

Then the newest BumbleBee movie has a combo of both his OG VW Beetle versions as well as his futuristic animated series car. It's a prequel to the original Transformers movie and includes a lot of the back story that was glossed over in the 2007 film.

We watched the Bumblebee movie after New Years. Thought it was a good movie. I'd put it in line with the first one. Decent story, a lot of nostalgia (especially if you watched the cartoons in the 80's), and I enjoyed the fact that they brought back the "double changers" (Transformers who had 2 different vehicle modes).

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw Aquaman. I thought it was horrible. I don't know what all they hype is. The acting was stiff (Heard was awful and the only redeeming quality was that she was often wet), the one liners predictable and sad and I'm still trying to figure out what the story was or why Aquaman turned into a giant scared wimp halfway through.
It was so bad I came back to this thread just to repost what I said about it.

Back