Movie thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been wanting to watch that, but have hesitated due to the R rating. My son can handle the F-bomb now (who are we kidding - I mean me and his mom), is it just bad language, or are there sex scenes and such that would make it awkward to watch with a middle school kid?

Language is tame by most standards - but there are f bombs - billy bob Thornton plays a marine general - but even his language is mild compared to his normal roles

there is some mild sex (more implied ) but no boobs or anything :(

Movies I have watched recently on airplanes:

Black Swan (oof, had to take a short break from that one at one point)

Me, Myself, and Irene (I don't think I'd ever actually seen that one. I thought it was pretty darned entertaining, but not at all what I was expecting and definitely not like any other rom com you find these days)

Manchester by the Sea (it was okay, still not sure why Casey Affleck won best actor for it)

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (this was mainly out of curiosity since I heard it was horrible when it came out. Overall, it wasn't terrible, but just about as alright as I would have expected. Definitely would not have paid to go see it, which is fitting, because I didn't)

I took the family to see The Lego Ninjago Movie this weekend.  I was not expecting much because of the bad reviews, and I was pleasantly surprised that it was still pretty decent, much better than the average animated kid's movie but not quite on a par with The Lego Batman movie, which itself was several notches behind the original The Lego Movie.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, and there were some really fun sequences and ideas, but in the end it just seemed to have gotten a little less attention from the story writers than the first two.  But definitely not as bad as the 45% or whatever that it is getting on Rotten Tomatoes.

I can't see ever  watching another lego movie again - my head still hurts from the first one!

but not much really out in the theatre these days

Has anyone here seen Battle of the Sexes yet? I'm going to try to see it this weekend... If the timing doesn't work out, it'll probably be the new Blade runner movie instead. Has anyone seen that?

Last edited by a moderator:
We finally got around to watching the new Wonder Woman Movie - co starring Captain Kirk- holy crap was that movie bad- even my 16 year old daughter fell asleep half way through....

So, as sort of planned, the fiancé and I went to see Battle of the Sexes on Friday. I would definitely recommend it! It was a little different telling of the story than I was expecting, because it definitely explores Billie Jean King's realization that she is lesbian more than I was expecting. I'm not sure if that happened around the same time as the match vs Bobby Riggs, but it was interesting.

Overall, it's a pretty great movie. Emma Stone did a great job as Billie, and Steve Carell did a great job as Bobby. Carell even kind of freakishly looked like Bobby. He's a pretty versatile actor in that regard, in my opinion!

And yes, the fiancé enjoyed it too, I think more than he was expecting.

I'm actually interested in seeing Happy Death Day although it sounds like the title of a Goosebumps book.

Finally got around to watching Southpaw (that's how far behind I am in movies).  It's basically a repeat of Rocky with some subtle changes to script but a surprisingly good movie.

Blade Runner 2049 was excellent.  5 out of 5 stars, for me.
I'm glad to hear this, because I think this is the movie we're going to go use our Fandango gift card to see.

Back