Mortgage insurance

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll bet the swatch looked beautiful. It's when it gets extrapolated over the whole room that it gets overwhelming. Two words "Atrium White". I painted virtually the whole house this color. Want a different look? change the drapes.
yup thats exactly what happened! every other color turned out fine. we havent figured out how we want to fix it yet so its still there. we just didnt want red but we wanted a dark color so we ended up w this plum color. the bottom looks great.

^^ HOLY CRAP.
I bought at about 1.5 times our annual income, but financed for 15 years, hence the $2,100 /mo.

I couldn't imagine 3 times, let alone 10 times the income.
We went at 1 times annual income. WOW, at 3 times we could have an McMansion on 2 acres around here, but of course that is probably what the rest of the country spends on a normal home. OK is great as far as the cost of living.

We went at 1 times annual income. WOW, at 3 times we could have an McMansion on 2 acres around here, but of course that is probably what the rest of the country spends on a normal home. OK is great as far as the cost of living.
I wish we could have purchased a home in Connecticut for 1X annual income. At the time we bought, we spent about 2.5X our annual income (purchase price/gross annual income) - and we bought a "cheap" house compared to many of our peer group (our income is also lower than those folks due to Mr. Bug earning less than me). Even with Mr. Bug out of work for 8 months now, we can comfortably afford our house - but the mortgage and my student loans are our ONLY debt. We own our cars outright and don't use credit cards. A full half of our monthly expenses is the mortgage payment.

We do have PMI due to the fact that when we bought (30 year fixed @ 5.125%) we didn't have the money to put 20% down PLUS pay all closing costs (we bought in early '06). We still put $10K down, but that only amounted to approx. 5%. Then we paid another several thousand in closing costs. 20% down on a $190K starter home is still close to $40K. I don't know of many couples in their 20s who can rustle up $40K in cash - and had we bought in a more desirable town/location our $190K starter house would have been $300Kish at the peak.

Part of the problem is that young, college-educated couples today have a societal expectation that they get married, buy a house, then have kids. I was born when my parents were living in a 2 bedroom rental apartment, and they didn't buy a house until their 30s. My in-laws rented throughout their 20s and built their house shortly after my husband's older sibling was born. Today, when friends of ours got unexpectedly pregnant a few months after their wedding, there was a mad rush to buy a house so that they weren't bringing baby home to a rental (as if it was some horrible thing! They bought a condo which they promptly sold for a serious profit only 2 years later when baby #2 was on the way. They maxed out their buying power on a house at the peak of the market and are now struggling to refinance). Buying a home is THE thing to do to demonstrate that you're (in theory) a responsible, self-sufficient adult. 30 years ago, it was starting a family and taking responsibility for children. Now you buy a house first. Our friends were horrified that Mr. Bug and I made do in a 1 bedroom apartment for a year after we got married...everyone expected that we HAD to buy a house right away because it's what everyone else does.

In a different part of the country, for the $190K that we spent on our little 3 bed/2 bath Cape Cod with no garage on 0.25 acre, we could have had a new construction McMansion. Sort of depressing, in a way. Oh well - we made the decision to buy when we did and our house is primarily a place to live, not an investment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy Shite! I bought at six times annual income... and it's just a 1200 SF zero-lot line in a thirty year old PUD. Go California!

I have one for you; I spoke to a mining engineer north of Watonga who bought his home and paid it off in six months! Of course mining engineers make something like 70K-80K and houses around that area costs about 25K for a nice one.

PMI only covers a percentage of the loan. For example, if you pay 10% down, a lender typically wants 20%. With PMI, the policy would be for 25%. Your PMI premium is for a 25% insurance policy for the lender. It can be reduced by how much you put down.

I have one for you; I spoke to a mining engineer north of Watonga who bought his home and paid it off in six months! Of course mining engineers make something like 70K-80K and houses around that area costs about 25K for a nice one.
There is actually a place in the USA where you can get a nice house for 25K? IS this a safe place? What's wrong with it? Tell me where it is and I'll write out a check for a handful.

There is actually a place in the USA where you can get a nice house for 25K? IS this a safe place? What's wrong with it? Tell me where it is and I'll write out a check for a handful.

Its a 2-3 hour drive to any place of significance or importance. There's a huge gypsum deposit in eastern Oklahoma, where the mine is and little else. Most of the nation's gypsum wall board is made there.

The machine making the board has been doing so since the 1920's and updated with electronic controls sometimes in the '80s. It has an equally archaic fire sprinkler system back when hydraulic analysis was still primitive so designers simply went overboard with everything.

thats funny- my first college internship had me on a run to watonga. its actually on my resume. i did the final nspection of the hospital there (dont trust it!). housing in OK is cheap in general, and suffers from the same problem that texas does- theres so much land that youre not gonna make money off your house cuz you can always build more. and in watonga, there is a LOT of extra land. talk about BFE... good solid place if youre not into socializing, shopping, stop lights, etc.

Holy Shite! I bought at six times annual income... and it's just a 1200 SF zero-lot line in a thirty year old PUD. Go California!
Wow. We went about .9 slary for the same thing in sunny SC in 98. Of couse itw worth twice that now.

It has an equally archaic fire sprinkler system back when hydraulic analysis was still primitive so designers simply went overboard with everything.
It is probably a pipe scedule system. The funny thing about them is they look like overkill, but a good many of them won't flow right.

We bought our house in ATL at 2x both of our incomes. Of course, after our son was born my wife quit working and by that time it ended up being 3x my income. This next house will probably be 3x as well. At 4.5 - 5.5% interest and 20% down, that's still not that much of my take home pay.

Back