Michigan PDH Audits

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MI-Roger

Reaction score
I received an email from a former co-worker today.  He renewed his license in October of 2018 and received a letter from the State of Michigan, dated January 15th, informing him that he was selected to have his PDH accumulation for the Nov 2016 thru Oct 2018 period audited.

What I found surprising was the letter requires the Engineer to provide the Certificates of Completion (actually worded as Certificates of Attendance) for each claimed training hour.  I was under the impression only your personal PDH Log would need to be provided.  I have been diligent in taking courses, saving the Certificates, and maintaining an on-line Log of all training hours.

What is the percentage of Engineers who are audited each year?

That's interesting. I attend several professional conferences (full week!) per year that provide a Certificate of Attendance, but it doesn't specify a number of hours. Do those count for anything?

I would imagine that the percentage varies per state but I wouldn’t think it’s a high percentage.  I know engineers who’ve never been audited and I know engineers who’ve been audited two consecutive years. 

The biggest concern to me is that this person may not know the requirements of maintaining licensure.  Take a minute and read your states enforcement section/cases.  You will likely find numerous cases of people who failed to prove their continuing education.  The fines are steep and they can suspend your license, not to mention that the enforcement actions are perminant and part of the public record.  In my opinion, they throw the book at you.  

Id refresh your memory on what your state requires because it’s likely not very hard to find and spelled out in very clearly. 

Back