Mechanical Degree, Construction Experience

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCG

Reaction score
Hi,

I was referred to this board by my boss lately so I'm a newby. I was recently approved to sit for the PE in April. My degree is mechanical however i havn't touched those processes and calcs since graduating 4 years ago. My work experience has been construction management. Was interested to get some of your thoughts on which discipline i should select for the exam. Any advice is much appreciated.

Well, my degree is in mechanical, but all of my experience is in practicing structural. There are 2 others in my office with similar backgrounds, and all of us took and passed the structural exam (though none at the first attempt...). I would say try and take the exam that most closely mirrors the work you've done since school. The PE is more about practicing (work experience) and less about theory (what you learned in school). I know I would utterly fail any ME test I tried to take at this point.

I would read up on the NCEES website about each exam and see which one matches your work - maybe Civil/Construction?

I was in a similar boat, took mechanical and crushed it. Take the test that covers the material you know better.

first check with your state if they have any sort of restictions on stamping. Some states are more liberal and their rules say you can stamp in the area of your competence, doesn't matter what test you took. Others are more strict, you took say the mechanical test because that was your education, you wouldn't be able to stamp anything construction related where your work experience is.

first check with your state if they have any sort of restictions on stamping. Some states are more liberal and their rules say you can stamp in the area of your competence, doesn't matter what test you took. Others are more strict, you took say the mechanical test because that was your education, you wouldn't be able to stamp anything construction related where your work experience is.
Good point.

My B.S. is also in mechanical engineering, but I've been practicing structural engineering for over 20 years. You should take the PE exam that best matches your work experience, because you'll be most adept and familiar with that area of work, and besides it's the point of the P.E. license, to practice engineering in an area you understand and have work experience in. I took the structural I exam and passed some time ago, and I'd never seal mechanical drawings, because I'm not qualified, but I know that I'm very competent in structural engineering.

Back