Less than 2 months to study?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silvamela

Reaction score
I was checking the date for next CA Seismic and Survey: April 9. If they will give the results in 15 weeks now (as it announced in some test locations), it will give the test re-takers less than 2 months to study...Is the CA Board pushing the limits now even more? I hope to pass, but I am so annoyed... :brickwall:

I was checking the date for next CA Seismic and Survey: April 9. If they will give the results in 15 weeks now (as it announced in some test locations), it will give the test re-takers less than 2 months to study...Is the CA Board pushing the limits now even more? I hope to pass, but I am so annoyed... :brickwall:
I personally don't think it will take 15 weeks. it never has in the past. The results will be in by end of Jan 2011 or by the first week of Feb 2011. Good luck to you hopefully you would not have to take it again

If you have a feeling that you didn't pass, then maybe you should do some casual studying for about an hour a week just so the material is somewhat fresh in your brain.

I think the 15 week comment was BS also. It should be the normal 13 week, but I was hoping sooner as the NCEES registration would speed things up. The problem is getting MOTIVATED to study, which is why we need the results sooner, so I'm a little irritated. I do encounter surveying in my career, so its a little easier to get motivated to study, however I know a lot of people who do not. I'm sort of irritated by this test, because it seems like you really have to get closer to 90%+ of the problems you solve, because you are forced to guess about 20% of the problems due to time issues. I've heard/read that even PLS say 3 minutes is just not enough for a lot of the problems.

I think the 15 week comment was BS also. It should be the normal 13 week, but I was hoping sooner as the NCEES registration would speed things up. The problem is getting MOTIVATED to study, which is why we need the results sooner, so I'm a little irritated. I do encounter surveying in my career, so its a little easier to get motivated to study, however I know a lot of people who do not. I'm sort of irritated by this test, because it seems like you really have to get closer to 90%+ of the problems you solve, because you are forced to guess about 20% of the problems due to time issues. I've heard/read that even PLS say 3 minutes is just not enough for a lot of the problems.
Indeed is hard to be motivated to study before the results...and a casual 1h/week before they announce the reasults is really not enough to make a difference. Last time I felt borderline to pass/fail and I failed both. Now I feel good about Seismic but not so sure about Surveying (yet I did better than last time) - can I start studying for Surveying earlier just in case? I rather run marathon or something more painful :0) I don't care for Surveying at all in that it's very far away from what I do and like to do for living.

I just think CA Board if very unfair to make us wait 4 months for results and only give 2 months to prepare after results announcement. And for $275 (is any other state more expensive?), they should treat the customers better.

And for $275 (is any other state more expensive?), they should treat the customers better.
I think CA doesn't charge enough for exams. They really are loosing money every time they administer them.

I paid $325 each for the SE I and Civil exams. I paid $750 for the SE II exam.

I took all three in MN.

And for $275 (is any other state more expensive?), they should treat the customers better.
I think CA doesn't charge enough for exams. They really are loosing money every time they administer them.

I paid $325 each for the SE I and Civil exams. I paid $750 for the SE II exam.

I took all three in MN.
I doubt they are losing money in CA. Civil PE takes 3 exams in CA and the rate of passing EACH is less than 40%. That means majority of peope take the test more than once, meaning you pay at least 2*$275=$550.

And the large majority of PE takers are Civil.

Just to be a wet blanket, I really dont think the state of ca is able to manage any program within a budget, with the number of proctors and the long time between tests I just don't see how they can manage of $275 each. Maybe someone knows but I really think they get money from the budget.

My advice to all engineers is to Google before you open your fat traps and insert foot. At the November board meeting (from google) they reviewed the budget, They show all revenue coming from License Renewal $5.425M, Exam Application, $3.852M, Delinquent fees, $64M, Investment income, 50M, and other mist $38M. Note no gift box from the Governator.

My advice to all engineers is to Google before you open your fat traps and insert foot. At the November board meeting (from google) they reviewed the budget, They show all revenue coming from License Renewal $5.425M, Exam Application, $3.852M, Delinquent fees, $64M, Investment income, 50M, and other mist $38M. Note no gift box from the Governator.
if that were here in IL, the government would sweep all the extra and then some and add it to general revenue. Fund sweeping is something we are good at.

Just to be a wet blanket, I really dont think the state of ca is able to manage any program within a budget, with the number of proctors and the long time between tests I just don't see how they can manage of $275 each. Maybe someone knows but I really think they get money from the budget.
I am more than willling to pay double than $275 if they:

1. Provide notification you are ok to take the test in decent time ahead of the test (got mine few DAYS before)

2. Provide the results in a resonable time, like most of the other states do.

:angry:

I am more than willling to pay double than $275 if they:

1. Provide notification you are ok to take the test in decent time ahead of the test (got mine few DAYS before)

2. Provide the results in a resonable time, like most of the other states do.
So would I, I already payed double, (i.e. passed 8hr and Seisimic + took Survey for second time). You shouldn't have to pay full amount to take one portion of the exam. So maybe the cost to take all three should be increased. But I also agree that they have plenty of money from repeat takers. This is so typical of California Politics/Bureaucracies- a bunch of hot air with no real "hands-on" workers who take the "bull by the horns" and get the job done! For Christ sakes, 13 weeks for a test which it probably takes a day to scan them through a computer!

:eek:ld-025:

If you have a feeling that you didn't pass, then maybe you should do some casual studying for about an hour a week just so the material is somewhat fresh in your brain.
SAC, that's exactly what I'm doing since I don't feel as confident with the surveying (having been doing only Structural since graduation..)

Latest posts

Back