LEED

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very close to landing a job that requires all engineers and architects to be LEED APs. Do you guys think I will have a lot of trouble passing the exam since my previous experience has nothing to do with anything building-industry related (mostly electrical controls for conveyor systems)? I'm sure the company will provide all the courses, study guides, and exam fees involved, but I'm worried if I'll be able to pass the thing at all though.

^ I have no experience with the building trades and had no problem passing the exam. You don't need to understand how to wire a building or design a roof truss. You just need to know the LEED rating system, reference standards, and what you need to do to achieve the credits.

You should be all set.

I don't feel like doing research so I'll just ask- how much is the LEED exam? My company doesn't see a benefit to it so I'd pay it but I'm tempted- I can see how it would be helpful. How much studying is involved? (That part doesn't matter so much, just curious). Pass rates?

considering im getting paid to take a week off to go to bootcamp for the pmp- its not so bad. i can fork it over :) do you need a review too though? thats where the money adds up....

I got my hands on a copy of the LEED reference guide. I read it cover to cover and highlighted key stuff.

I purchased 2 review books from "the other board". One was a practice book that had 4 scenarios in it. Much more in depth than a sample exam. Answers were in paragraph form and involved much more thought than pure memorization multiple choice. That helped me learn the system in great detail.

Then I got another book that had a couple practice exams just like the real one so I could get a feel for the real thing.

The 2 books together were about $125. But worth it I think.

I'd treat those college and USGBC local chapter LEED prep sites with a grain of salt. They are useful test prep, but it's a lot of questions people 'remember' for the exam and ones not made up by test prep pros.
The best one I used was "the other board"'s sample problem guide. The questions are essay style and really make you think about the concepts and how the credits are synergies/tradeoffs, rather than just pure memorization.
I used the LEED prep materials on the UF class site - it was actually very good, especially if you're taking the test for LEED for New Construction (v2.2). I also took the USGBC technical review class (compliments of my company) and paid for the greenexamprep.com practice tests on my own. I appreciated that those those practice questions simulated the real test environment (i.e., on a computer) and also were difficult enough to prepare me for the exam.

After I took the test, I found this additional set of free practice questions: http://www.buildinggreen.com/live/index.cf...Exam-Test-USGBc. I didn't use it so I can't attest to its usefulness.

I would say the technical review class was extremely helpful and but not crucial, especially if you're on a budget. The most important thing is that you get your hands on the reference manual and some practice questions. You can't just understand the credits, you have to know them thoroughly. The exam itself is not difficult, per se, but it is fairly detailed with some tricky questions.

I don't mind spending the money if it will be useful, but since it is MY money, i want it to be on the useful stuff. Thanks for the above post- very helpful- I'll check into it. Theyre super into goals at work so I might make LEED a goal next year- an easy one to check off. Thanks!

I don't mind spending the money if it will be useful, but since it is MY money, i want it to be on the useful stuff. Thanks for the above post- very helpful- I'll check into it. Theyre super into goals at work so I might make LEED a goal next year- an easy one to check off. Thanks!
Started preparing for the LEED exam last week. Didn't want to take another exam once I got the PE out of the way but my employer recommended that I do it. He is even going to allow time at work to study!

Anyways, I have been looking around the world wide web and finding any and all information. Any tips or websites would be greatly appreciated. Not sure when I am going to take it but atleast I will not have to wait 8 weeks for the results!!!!!!!!! Good luck to all.

Willis

You definitely need a copy of the LEED reference manual for the rating system you are testing on. Expensive, but I bet you can get your office to buy it since they are pushing you to take the exam and its a reference you'll need if you do LEED projects in the future.

I bought the two practice books from PPI. It was ~$125 for the set. I thought they helped a lot. I was overprepared for the exam.

Not sure when I am going to take it but atleast I will not have to wait 8 weeks for the results!!!!!!!!!
Be aware that you probably want to take the LEED-AP exam sooner rather than later. The current versions of the LEED-AP exam are being phased out, because a "new generation" of LEED rating systems will be introduced in 2009. They've already stopped taking new registrations for the current version of the LEED Existing Buildings exam. The current versions of the LEED New Construction and LEED Commercial Interiors exams are still available, but it's not clear for how much longer. Many people are hussling to get accredited before the new exams are introduced.

If you don't pass under the current version of the exam, you can always wait for the next version. But it's going to be a major revision, so there will probably be a lot of new and revised material to study. And while study manuals are readily available for the current exams, it may take time before such materials are available for the new exams.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I understand, LEED 2009 will be completely different than the current LEED. If you're registered with the USGBC, they sent around a preliminary for review and comment to all of the members. I didn't really review it because I didn't want to confuse any of the points, I'm scheduled to take the exam on November 13th. They haven't really given out any info as to how or whether the exam format will change, but I'm just going to take the exam now to be safe

The intheleed website is definitely a good link Techie, I'll have to check out the other one. Also, if you have an iPod touch or iPhone there is a free app that you can download with flashcards for LEED- just download the gflash+ program and then do a search through their catalog for LEED and you will find sets of flashcards for each of the points categories, a general set, a referenced standards set, and a credit names set. I can't vouch for their accuracy, but they seem good so far...

Thanks Techie,

I am studying for the LEED AP exam right now and am scheduled to take the exam on 12/2. These sites look promising.

Thanks again!

To those have taken the exam:

Is it important to have each credit memorized and associated with the credit number, or just be able to look at the name of the credit, and be able to fill in the details? I can pretty much name the percentages and concepts in a credit once I read the name, but it would take me a long time to actually memorize the order and names of each credit.

It's $400 to take the exam. Pretty steep, huh?
$300 if your company (or yourself) is a paying member of the UGBC, which is the case for me. :woot: Plus they'll reimburse me upon passing.

My company flat out paid for my first attempt at the exam, and I get a $500 bonus if I pass it. But if I fail, I have to pay for the re-take on my own...and I have to pay for any study materials that we don't already have. The only thing I think I'm going to end up paying for is the GreenExamPrep sample tests. I already have the NC2.2 Reference Guide, the Colorado Study Guide, and the PPI Sample Exam.

Latest posts

Back