Last Week - Any advice?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have about a week left until the exam day. Any advice from previous test takers for this last week? I am taking a practice depth exam this weekend and plan to crank out as many problems as I can through Sunday. I plan to use the practice test to help me figure out where I need to fine tune. I feel pretty good at this point for the morning session, I scored around 85% on the morning practice exams. Next week my plan was to spend a couple days next week going through my manuals and seeing if I missed any key areas to tab and make a little cheat sheet for problems I find difficult. Wednesday and Thursday I was planning to do very little as far as studying so I don't burn myself out the day before the test. Also, the exam authorization says be there at 7:15, is that the cut off time? I planned to show up around 645 to make sure I can get settled in anyway. 

Thanks!

Arrive early!!!

1. Tab, tab and then tab some more.

2. Know your references.

3. Pack your bags Wednesday.

4. Take Thursday off and relax.

Good luck!

Thanks. I actually got a hotel near the testing center, even though I live about 30 minutes away. I don't want to risk my 17 month old daughter deciding the night before the test she doesn't want to sleep!

What Ken said. Also, you don't need to show up much earlier than the arrival time listed on your confirmation sheet. Both times I've tested they don't open the doors to let people in until after the posted time, so there was a lot of standing around in the cold with a bunch of heavy books. That said, if it helps ease your nerves to get there super early, then by all means, arrive super early! 

Pack snacks and water. I found trail mix (lots of nuts, not as much chocolate) was helpful brain food. You can't have food or water on the test table, so make sure that both are in easily accessible containers. 

Make sure you have a backup calculator, and make sure it has batteries.

Make sure you have a watch (that you can wear. Again, they don't like stuff on the test table).

Plan your lunch. There might be restaurants nearby, but you might also want to sit in your car and zone out over the break, so having a packed lunch can be nice.

Map your route and scope out the parking situation. Try to avoid as much added stress that morning as you can.

Do some mental exercises - "This exam is meant to be difficult. I studied everything I could and applied myself to the best of my ability. There will be questions that I don't get right. There will be questions that are super easy." It's easy to let the first question that stumps you ruin your confidence. There will be stumpers. It's ok. Just keep going and come back to it if you have time. 

We have about a week left until the exam day. Any advice from previous test takers for this last week? I am taking a practice depth exam this weekend and plan to crank out as many problems as I can through Sunday. I plan to use the practice test to help me figure out where I need to fine tune. I feel pretty good at this point for the morning session, I scored around 85% on the morning practice exams. Next week my plan was to spend a couple days next week going through my manuals and seeing if I missed any key areas to tab and make a little cheat sheet for problems I find difficult. Wednesday and Thursday I was planning to do very little as far as studying so I don't burn myself out the day before the test. Also, the exam authorization says be there at 7:15, is that the cut off time? I planned to show up around 645 to make sure I can get settled in anyway. 

Thanks!
I'd continue to hit it hard the next few days.  Then, for the following few days, stop trying to learn new things - maybe re-work some problems you have already worked or re-read your material.  Then, the few days before Friday, start taking it easy.  Prepare your exam box, do any final tabbing or highlighting, relax, etc.  The most "studying" I did the day or two before was to open up each of my references and do a quick scan of the TOC, the Index, glossary, tables, charts. etc.  You never know, it may help you.  You may see a question on a topic you didn't quite anticipate but you may think to yourself.... 'I remember seeing a chart on regulatory signs in the MUTCD that might help me answer this question'.  Best of luck!       

Last week?  Don't worry about it.  Just don't do it again this week.  What happens on EB stays on EB. 

2 hours ago, DuckFlats said:

Thanks!
I'd continue to hit it hard the next few days.  Then, for the following few days, stop trying to learn new things - maybe re-work some problems you have already worked or re-read your material.  Then, the few days before Friday, start taking it easy.  Prepare your exam box, do any final tabbing or highlighting, relax, etc.  The most "studying" I did the day or two before was to open up each of my references and do a quick scan of the TOC, the Index, glossary, tables, charts. etc.  You never know, it may help you.  You may see a question on a topic you didn't quite anticipate but you may think to yourself.... 'I remember seeing a chart on regulatory signs in the MUTCD that might help me answer this question'.  Best of luck!       
Taking time off sounds glorious. Unfortunately I didn't follow that advice. I was cramming up until about 10:30 night before. My point is do whatever you need to do. Don't blindly follow our advice unless it resonates with you.

To add to the previous advice:

Bring cash with you. I found out the day before that the place that was hosting the exam was also hosting some convention and was charging for parking (cash only). Had I not visited the day before, I would have been screwed. Do not count on an ATM being readily available nearby.

Go through the exercise this weekend of actually sitting through the exam as if it's real.  Find a plain, metal folding chair and sit in it for 4 hours, take a 45 minute break, then sit in it for 4 more hours. Additionally, practice handwriting for those same time periods. You don't realize how little you sit in one spot and write nowadays, getting used to it will help make you more comfortable for the real thing. You may even be able to bring a cushion with you to sit on to help. The exam chairs can suck.

Follow your usual routine.  Go to bed at your normal time.  Eat your normal meals.

Get everything packed into your car the night before. You don't want to leave anything behind, and you really don't want to be scrambling that morning to find something.

Leave your phone in the car. Leave it at home if you can.

Plan your lunch. Find something that will fill you up without getting you too full. Last thing you need is a 2pm food coma to set in.

Go with "boring" food. Things that can cause heartburn, gas, upset stomach, etc are not your friend. You really don't want to waste time dealing with your ass in the middle of the exam just because you were craving Taco Bell the night before.

Remember, coffee in the morning effects everyone differently, so drink accordingly. It gives me the jitters, so I avoid it. It causes some to need to poo, plan for that. Tea is a diuretic (it makes you have to pee).  Like I said before, follow your usual routine. If you normally drink a cup in the morning, drink one before the test, but remember how it effects you so plan ahead.

Don't be scared to take a bathroom break. 5 minutes to relieve yourself is totally worth it compared to doing the potty dance in your chair for an hour. Do what you must to keep your mind focused on the exam.

Snacks and a water bottle are your friends. A couple granola bars and some juice really helped for me.

Do not plan on being able to leave the area for lunch. Depending on where your test is, how long your morning session goes, and when they want you back, you probably will NOT have time to go get food. Especially since it's during a work day and fellow professionals will be flooding the drive-thrus with you.

Do not count on a short walk from your car to the exam room. Be able to transport your stuff in one trip. For some, that means a cart. I used a milk crate. USPS totes work well too.

Bring an extra layer with you. Depending on your region, some places will have already cranked the AC up for the summer, or have shut off the heat for the spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw this on LinkedIn.....pretty good stuff right here.

"PE, PS, and SE exam tip 3: When was the last time you looked at the expiration date on your driver’s license? Make sure your government-issued ID is current and meets all of our requirements or else you won’t be allowed to sit for your exam."

Thanks for all the advice. I got rocked with the flu Friday and missed studying all weekend. I was able to power through half of a depth exam Monday and got 18/20, so that calmed my nerves. I was getting worried about missing the last weekend, but after scoring that well I got my confidence back.

Thanks for all the advice. I got rocked with the flu Friday and missed studying all weekend. I was able to power through half of a depth exam Monday and got 18/20, so that calmed my nerves. I was getting worried about missing the last weekend, but after scoring that well I got my confidence back.
Good luck DF!

Back