Kids of EB

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The boys figured out how to open their 2nd floor window. Thought it would be funny to throw stuff out.
Isn't that cute. :GotPics:
Actually I do...she just posted this one on Facebook. Apparently, her little talk to them didn't do much good which is why it would probably be better if I was home to help. They tend to listen to me more than her, but then I'm a little more oldschool and my "talking" to them about it would have involved some red butts and tears.

Window.jpg

minisnick and I were playing in the living room last night. He was headed to the kitchen when the CD we were listening to ended. I said uhoh minisnick the music stopped, can you fix it? He quickly turned around and with a big smile on his face he shook his head and said ya and ran over to the stereo and started pressing buttons until he found play. all proud of himself he went back to what he was doing before the music stopped.

The boys figured out how to open their 2nd floor window. Thought it would be funny to throw stuff out.
Isn't that cute. :GotPics:
Actually I do...she just posted this one on Facebook. Apparently, her little talk to them didn't do much good which is why it would probably be better if I was home to help. They tend to listen to me more than her, but then I'm a little more oldschool and my "talking" to them about it would have involved some red butts and tears.

View attachment 4162
yep. That's one I'd nip in the bud. Treat it like a joke and the "laughs" won't stop until someting gets broken or worse..

minisnick and I were playing in the living room last night. He was headed to the kitchen when the CD we were listening to ended. I said uhoh minisnick the music stopped, can you fix it? He quickly turned around and with a big smile on his face he shook his head and said ya and ran over to the stereo and started pressing buttons until he found play. all proud of himself he went back to what he was doing before the music stopped.
Call me a hard a$$ but I don't let toddlers play with stereos, tvs, computers, cars and any other expensive adult things. They have difficulty recognizing the difference between "it might ok while I'm watching" and "this is not a new toy for you to play with whenever you want to".

Last edited by a moderator:
Call me a hard a$$ but I don't let toddlers play with stereos, tvs, computers, cars and any other expensive adult things. They have difficulty recognizing the difference between "it might ok while I'm watching" and "this is not a new toy for you to play with whenever you want to".
You're not a hard a$$, that is stance we take with most of the expensive stuff, but the stereo has been on its way out the door for awhile now. just to cheap to replace because it still works most of the time.

gotcha. when my kids were little there were several family members that would let them play with cars (just horse around inside pushing buttons), phones, remotes, etc. It really used to tick me off, because I got sick of lost remotes, broken switches or antennas, lost battery covers (a major pet peeve of mine).

15 minutes of "fun" meant I had to live with a damaged, but still functional, POS unless I went out and bought a replacement.

I've got an 11 year old, a 9 year old and an 8 year old (hey at least they are 9 months + 6 weeks apart ;)

If the joys of the pre-teen are any indication of whats to come, I feel the next 8 years I will spend most of my time putting my foot up their ass 3 or 4 times a day?

I've got an 11 year old, a 9 year old and an 8 year old (hey at least they are 9 months + 6 weeks apart ;)
If the joys of the pre-teen are any indication of whats to come, I feel the next 8 years I will spend most of my time putting my foot up their ass 3 or 4 times a day?
pretty much. Jr. high not so bad, but HS+ I want to kick them but I'm afraid they'll kick back.

I hope you don't have a boat on a trailer.

Reason I say this is because the local psychologist's well adjust twin daughters learned to throw stuff out the windows, so pretty much everything they could lift (they wer 5 when this happened) went out the window. Ho-ho? Isn't that cute? of course, they were given a good psychologically approved speaking to.

So the next week they climbed up into dear ole dad's big fishing boat and started up the engines as the boat sat high and dry on its trailer. My, my, those twin marine 454s were expesive to replace.

I hope you don't have a boat on a trailer.

Reason I say this is because the local psychologist's well adjust twin daughters learned to throw stuff out the windows, so pretty much everything they could lift (they wer 5 when this happened) went out the window. Ho-ho? Isn't that cute? of course, they were given a good psychologically approved speaking to.

So the next week they climbed up into dear ole dad's big fishing boat and started up the engines as the boat sat high and dry on its trailer. My, my, those twin marine 454s were expesive to replace.
It's the guy's fault for leaving the batteries all connected and the keys in it (I assume they didn't hot wire it).

pretty much. Jr. high not so bad, but HS+ I want to kick them but I'm afraid they'll kick back.
I listened to my dad when I was in high school, but looking back now it was probably a little funny watching him having to look up at me when he was giving me what for about some stupid stunt I had pulled.

As soon as I was bigger than my dad, I would tell him "I'm bigger than you." He would invariably respond with "Yeah, but I'm meaner."

My daughters are 25 and 20. WHEW!!! It took a lot to get them this far, but being able to look at them now as responsible, mature, polite, respectful adults is worth every shed tear and sleepless night. Parenting is NOT for sissies (or psychologists, maybe). We have a family member who believed in the "soft" approach. We thought that was bull$6!+! I am a hard-a$$, but loving parent.

Parenting is NOT for sissies (or psychologists, maybe).
My dad resents that remark. :)

Actually, funny story. Dad is a family therapist (he teaches parent how to be parents), and gives a fair amount of talks to various groups of parents (PTA's, churches, that sort of thing) around the SC-NC-GA area. In these talks he uses anecdotal stories about myself and my sisters growing up and how he handled situations where we did stuff wrong. He talks about the types of non-violent punishments he used (time-out, restrictions, etc) with us for different types of offenses.

Then funny thing is, its all lies! I'm not saying he beat the crap out of us or anything, but corporal punishment was the primary form of punishment when I was growing up. I distinctly remember having to go out and choose my own switch from the yard when I was younger and screwed up.

Sort of curious at what age your kids started understanding requests you made of them?

The Daycare made a comment yesterday on how well and early minisnick was doing things compared to the other kids when asked. An example at home, I get the diaper bag ready for daycare the night before. I ask minisnick to go to his room and get me some diapers. He climbs the stairs, goes to his room, grabs 2 diapers(1 for each hand) from the caddy, and brings them back down to me we repeat until we ahve enough for the next day. Or when we are going out, we tell him to find his cup and he will grab it and try to put it in the insulated bottle/cup compartment of the diaper bag. I guess I assumed this was normal behavior for a 16-17 month old.

thats sounds way out of the ordinary! (but good) or at least compared to my kids they were not doing much at 16 months excpet for shitting on themselves and falling down a lot ;)

We went over and checked out the local bazaar the other day and one of the shops had kid sized man-jammies (not sure what they're really called). The sad thing is these are still a little small for him, the shirt should be down to about his knees. The whole outfit was only $10 so I may just pick up a slightly larger one before I head home for my next R&R and let the younger one have those.

Man_Jammies.jpg

Junior has been a little bastard lately. She hasn't been listening or paying attention at all, and has been acting up. Methinks it has a LOT to do with the absence of her daycare teacher, who unfortunately miscarried and has been in the hospital. Their sub is the girl who normally covers the infants/toddlers, so we're guessing the kids pretty much have free reign right now, and she's just playing monkey see monkey do with the others.

Whatever the case, we've had a number of talks since then, and she is presently mourning the physical removal of her TV from her room, since she tried to sneak away and turn it on during a time out. Needless to say, when I ninja'd my way behind her mid-button press and gave her the "excuse me", she shit bricks.

Sort of curious at what age your kids started understanding requests you made of them?
The Daycare made a comment yesterday on how well and early minisnick was doing things compared to the other kids when asked. An example at home, I get the diaper bag ready for daycare the night before. I ask minisnick to go to his room and get me some diapers. He climbs the stairs, goes to his room, grabs 2 diapers(1 for each hand) from the caddy, and brings them back down to me we repeat until we ahve enough for the next day. Or when we are going out, we tell him to find his cup and he will grab it and try to put it in the insulated bottle/cup compartment of the diaper bag. I guess I assumed this was normal behavior for a 16-17 month old.
Mini ble does this, but I'm not sure when he started doing it. I know that he's been throwing stuff in the trash, bringing his coat, getting his shoes, etc. for what seems like a couple of months, but I'm not sure about the time frame.

He's also starting to talk a lot more now. You can tell he wants to know what things are called because he gets so excited when he can say the word. Yesterday he learned tuna because he got a can of tuna out of the pantry. Of course, he was saying "nuna", but he was still excited. I still can't believe he's as big as he is already.

My little guy's 18 months now. I think it's been a few months now that he's been feeding the dog when we ask him to... so he probably started understanding somewhere in the 14-16 month range

Back