Just Submitted My Experience to NCEES

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I have a TN license number, but the state license records show up as "application in process."

So idk. Either the license number is tied to the application, or I've been approved by the state and it's in the final stages of processing.

🤞
 I got the license in the mail and have an active license number on the Louisiana LAPELS website. However, NCEES still wanted me to take the quizzes, enter references and job experience and pay $175 to transmit the records over. I just finished this and it says they sent my information to Louisiana. But I thought my license was already active? Did I miss something?

Last edited by a moderator:
My application has been done for a while but I've been dreading the Reference forms. I'm electrical who work mostly under my supervisor (also electrical) but most of our projects are supporting the mechanical crew (chiller replacements, engine generators, pumps etc). Therefore, most of the PE's I've worked with at our firm are mechanical and I'm struggling to find electrical PE references - and if I do, they'll know less about me than the mechanical folks I've been working with. 

Been dreading this part for 2 months now and don't really know what the solution is... any suggestions? 

California - EE Power. 

My application has been done for a while but I've been dreading the Reference forms. I'm electrical who work mostly under my supervisor (also electrical) but most of our projects are supporting the mechanical crew (chiller replacements, engine generators, pumps etc). Therefore, most of the PE's I've worked with at our firm are mechanical and I'm struggling to find electrical PE references - and if I do, they'll know less about me than the mechanical folks I've been working with. 

Been dreading this part for 2 months now and don't really know what the solution is... any suggestions? 

California - EE Power. 
Do your references have to be EE's?

For my initial FL application, and my NCEES record, my references were different engineering disciplines (had mechanical, civil, and electrical references). They just had to verify my increasing responsibility and professionalism.

Do your references have to be EE's?

For my initial FL application, and my NCEES record, my references were different engineering disciplines (had mechanical, civil, and electrical references). They just had to verify my increasing responsibility and professionalism.
In California (As I understand it), I can either have EE or CE references.

I work mainly under the owner who is an EE and don't really work with other EE's, and our firm doesn't employ any CE's. I've worked with many ME's in central plants, co-generation, pumping stations, medium voltage, etc. with really interesting experiences, but I cannot use that as I understand it. All of those projects were reviewed and stamped by the owner, which is my main reference. 

I work in a mid-size company and can be considered "lucky". I really wonder how people in small firms achieve to get 4 references in their own field or from a civil engineer. You don't want to bother client's either... This is kind of creating an issue for me and is dragging my promotion. 

In California (As I understand it), I can either have EE or CE references.

I work mainly under the owner who is an EE and don't really work with other EE's, and our firm doesn't employ any CE's. I've worked with many ME's in central plants, co-generation, pumping stations, medium voltage, etc. with really interesting experiences, but I cannot use that as I understand it. All of those projects were reviewed and stamped by the owner, which is my main reference. 

I work in a mid-size company and can be considered "lucky". I really wonder how people in small firms achieve to get 4 references in their own field or from a civil engineer. You don't want to bother client's either... This is kind of creating an issue for me and is dragging my promotion. 
According to this document:

"[...] if the applicant does not know or has not worked with sufficient licensed engineers in his or her field to be able to procure the minimum number of appropriately licensed references, the applicant can solicit any appropriately licensed engineer to review her/his work samples (drawings, calculations, reports, etc.). Based on that review and a discussion with the applicant, such an engineer can then serve as a reference. The foregoing procedure is only permissible for supplementary references, and it is based on the assumption that the applicant's primary reference for an engagement is an licensed engineer in responsible charge of the applicant’s work. If all else fails, the applicant should contact the Board for instructions on how to obtain licensed references."

At the moment, if you don't personally know enough EE's to be references, you are allowed to reach out to licensed engineers to review your work and have a "get to know you" meeting. The owner of your company is an EE, so they will act as the primary reference.

You may have a shot with reaching out to licensed EE's here on the board by starting a new topic. Make sure to specify you need licensed EE's in California.

According to this document:

"[...] if the applicant does not know or has not worked with sufficient licensed engineers in his or her field to be able to procure the minimum number of appropriately licensed references, the applicant can solicit any appropriately licensed engineer to review her/his work samples (drawings, calculations, reports, etc.). Based on that review and a discussion with the applicant, such an engineer can then serve as a reference. The foregoing procedure is only permissible for supplementary references, and it is based on the assumption that the applicant's primary reference for an engagement is an licensed engineer in responsible charge of the applicant’s work. If all else fails, the applicant should contact the Board for instructions on how to obtain licensed references."

At the moment, if you don't personally know enough EE's to be references, you are allowed to reach out to licensed engineers to review your work and have a "get to know you" meeting. The owner of your company is an EE, so they will act as the primary reference.

You may have a shot with reaching out to licensed EE's here on the board by starting a new topic. Make sure to specify you need licensed EE's in California.
Thank you very much for taking the time to clarify things for me.

What does "any appropriately licensed engineer" constitute. Does that mean any EE/CE that can review my previous work, or does that include Mechanical Engineer's. I have worked with a lot of them, but they didn't exactly review my work on the electrical side. I was part of the design team who attended kick-off meetings, coordinated with the mechanical team and designed my electrical system in accordance to their mechanical spec's (Generators, chillers, pumps etc.) Obviously, my main PE reference who I worked under can attest to all of this experience, and I can then list under each ME reference which projects' I worked with them.

Would that work, or would I have to show my electrical design to other EE/CE's to review my EE portion of the work. 

Thank you for assisting me on finishing this last dreadful portion of the application :)

Thank you very much for taking the time to clarify things for me.

What does "any appropriately licensed engineer" constitute. Does that mean any EE/CE that can review my previous work, or does that include Mechanical Engineer's. I have worked with a lot of them, but they didn't exactly review my work on the electrical side. I was part of the design team who attended kick-off meetings, coordinated with the mechanical team and designed my electrical system in accordance to their mechanical spec's (Generators, chillers, pumps etc.) Obviously, my main PE reference who I worked under can attest to all of this experience, and I can then list under each ME reference which projects' I worked with them.

Would that work, or would I have to show my electrical design to other EE/CE's to review my EE portion of the work. 

Thank you for assisting me on finishing this last dreadful portion of the application :)
From reading further in that document, it states:

"In no case, however, will references from unlicensed persons or references not licensed in the applicant's branch of engineering be accepted in lieu of references from appropriately licensed engineers, when the requirement for having licensed references applies (i.e., when the applicant has been working in a non-exempt area)."

It looks like appropriately licensed means they still have to be licensed in your branch of engineering (electrical).

That's the line that confuses me too.

@CAPLS Could please advise on how to proceed? I've noticed you have all the answer's on this board :)

That's the line that confuses me too.

@CAPLS Could please advise on how to proceed? I've noticed you have all the answer's on this board :)
Ha!  I don't think I have all the answers, but I'm always willing to help out with the information I do know.  The document that ChattaneerPE directed you to is a good reference and accurate.  Given that your primary reference is your supervisor in responsible charge and licensed in the branch of engineering which matches your experience is a big benefit for you.  If that reference can certify to being in responsible charge for a sufficient amount of months to satisfy the requirements, then the remaining three references need only be familiar enough with your work to be able to certify to your abilities to practice professionally.

Since California is one of approximately 10-12 jurisdictions that license by engineering discipline, I do believe that the other three references must be able to demonstrate that they are authorized to practice the branch of engineering for which you are applying.  Many other jurisdictions license generically as PE and only requires those references to practice within their area(s) of expertise.

Your best bet for confirming this would be to contact Mike Donelson at [email protected] at the California Board. He is the one who performs the technical review of ME and EE (any non-civil) applications and he could advise you appropriately.

Ha!  I don't think I have all the answers, but I'm always willing to help out with the information I do know.  The document that ChattaneerPE directed you to is a good reference and accurate.  Given that your primary reference is your supervisor in responsible charge and licensed in the branch of engineering which matches your experience is a big benefit for you.  If that reference can certify to being in responsible charge for a sufficient amount of months to satisfy the requirements, then the remaining three references need only be familiar enough with your work to be able to certify to your abilities to practice professionally.

Since California is one of approximately 10-12 jurisdictions that license by engineering discipline, I do believe that the other three references must be able to demonstrate that they are authorized to practice the branch of engineering for which you are applying.  Many other jurisdictions license generically as PE and only requires those references to practice within their area(s) of expertise.

Your best bet for confirming this would be to contact Mike Donelson at [email protected] at the California Board. He is the one who performs the technical review of ME and EE (any non-civil) applications and he could advise you appropriately.
Great information from the both of you. Thank you both very much! I'll see what I can do this finish this dreadful process ha!

Back