Job Gripes

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Violator

Reaction score
Anyone work for a company that makes you watch videos about the importance of communication but then you don't ever get any actual communication from anyone in your office "leadership"?

Mostly just a small firm where the owner comes out and tell you whats up that day, if your on the shit list or not.  Just moved to a larger firm, I don't know how people put up with this. Maybe most engineers that come out of big box firms don't have the right personality traits to be in leadership roles.

We had a company wide web ex, mandatory and communication was the main them, national firm. Then I go ask my boss what my next task is after the current one is completed and he either doesn't know herself or just doesnt want to tell me? Small firms have issues of their own but at least you knew what the "plan" was.

It is not unusual for bosses to not know right away.  Previous company I worked for had down time where you were basically sitting there reading standards because there wasn't a chargeable job order for you to work on.

I don't think I've ever really had a boss that gave me tasks. I usually just do the work that needs to be done and report back weekly.

Yeah I work for a large company. My team leader only finds me work if I have absolutely nothing to do. Otherwise, in consulting, it’s on you to network and get on projects.
this.

I've worked for medium sized companies that had face to face all-hands meetings with cocktails and food. That was a lot of fun. 

I've also work for Fortune 500 global capability companies and they digitize a lot of their communication due to the sheer size of the company. However, the way that the managerial teams worked, I always had someone to go to for mentorship. I was expected to grow my own career through networking though. 

I don't think it's a flaw of leadership or management but an expectation. I am in senior executive leadership. I lead somewhere around 300 people (govt and consultants) and I cannot go around patting everyone on the back every day and telling them how to improve. My job is to make sure that the people who manage those people are doing their job. 

But when I can, I do try to connect with as many people as I can in a meeting space. I do expect everyone to communicate with the people they need to work with.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my job and company. The communication is great. We get regular presentations on the company outlook, strategy, and financials (which are directly tied to our bonuses). We make our own yearly plan are are supported by management. And I genuinely feel valued, trusted to make decisions, and not micromanaged. The culture here is great!

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like I'm crushing so hard on my company, but I've worked for a couple very badly run companies in the past. So I definitely appreciate what I have here.

It's really important for management and leadership to see things from the team member's perspective though. And I think that's what makes the difference between a mediocre company and a great company or organization. I've worked on every level so when I'm seeing that something is moving a little slowly or not working as efficiently as it could (i.e. program requirements gathering, design reviews, etc), I go to the source and try to explain how this one part of the process works into the bigger picture. I also answer the question of "why"; like "why am I doing this?"

When I answer the 'what' and 'why', I usually see a change in how things are working. I also try to listen to concerns and sometimes those concerns lead to a re-engineering of a process which leads to improvements in how we do business. I've been told that this works well for the people I lead. I engage and try to bring them into the process. It gives them ownership of the process.

And when people feel like they own something, they feel a little more motivated. Not everybody...some people just want to complain or just want to do as little as possible. lol 

I have a gripe....no manager is perfect but I have a guy in my office who complicates everything. I ask him for the excel file for something instead of a pdf. Then he started explaining what's in the workbook. I DON'T CARE. Just send the spreadsheet and point me to which tabs I want to see. Then he says that he needs time to break it out. Like why?

I have to hold his hand through the simple things. 

well I can check off "work for large consulting firm" off my list of things to do. Headed back to a more regional sized firm! Good Riddance Jacobs!

Welp... all merit increases canceled for this year.  At first they were postponed until Q3, but now they just dropped the whole turd on us - completely cut.  Not only did I get to let my employees know about the delay (not well received), but now I get to drop this on them.  F

Back