It's Friday!!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heck no. Going to the store to buy batteries and bottled water and hide out with all the other Texans til it blows over...

Very glad it is almost the weekend. My parents are coming to visit for my daughter's birthday party! I'm so glad I moved back to the Carolinas and closer to them.

Looking forward to the weekend. Will be spending a bunch of time with mini-Dex as we build a pinewood derby car together for cubscouts. The competition is in a couple weeks and we want to get a head start on things.

This has been one of those weeks where I wish it would just get to the weekend, but in the same regard I'm not necessarily looking forward to this weekend because I know I have way too much shit to get done once I leave the office this afternoon...

Sideways_moonwalk.gif

Looking forward to the weekend. Will be spending a bunch of time with mini-Dex as we build a pinewood derby car together for cubscouts. The competition is in a couple weeks and we want to get a head start on things.
"couple of weeks" and you call that a head start. The planning starts moths in advance.

Here are the secrets......

1) make sure the car is a heavy as allowed. I used the official cub scout lead weights, because you break off little pieces. another tactic is to bore out the car and put in lead shot, then epoxy over the shot. Sand/shave car until you measure on a calibrated scale to 5.00g (-0.01)

2) make sure you polish the axles. Put the axles (nails) in a drill and spin them inside fine sand paper (start ~300 and do a couple of finer steps to ~ at least 800-1200+)

3) make sure the wheels are aligned and the car runs straight. Incline a long table and release the car down the slope. Tweak alignment until the car goes straigh without veering to one side. Set the axles so they wont move do to handling/use (expoxy them in)

Is Pine Wood Derby more of an adult competition with the Cub Scout's name on it? Maybe it's just me. My dad helped me make mine, but didn't tell me do this or do that for "must win" performance.

Back