Is an online review course worth spending?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I passed the exam 1st attempt with self study.

Primary study material was NCEES sample exam, Graffeo, Wildi, Power Systems Analysis (Charles Gross), NEC Handbook 2014 and Mike Holt (Electrical exam Preparation, useful to practice NEC questions) . I then later added three extra practice exams by graffeo, Wasim Ashgar (Study guide for PE) and PPI book by camara ( I bought the second edition its cheaper. I did not study from this book but used it as a reference. it has a good index to help search for things). 

At the very end I bought the Engineering pro guides sample exam, this is a very good exam with well designed questions I would say with difficulty level similar to NCEES.

Halfway through my studies I started looking at the free videos available from the online courses, I found that in general they can be of use but basically cover the same material in the self study guides so instead I decided to invest in more the extra practice exams and reference books. None of them as far as I could tell  cover the code books enough.

Whether or not you take a review course you still have to buy the reference books and code books, so I would suggest buy the reference books (starting with graffeo and filling the gaps with wildi and the ncees sample exam) and start studying if you then feel like you are getting stuck or don't know what to study or focus on buy the review course.

whichever route you take have an all in mentality 

Good Luck
I'd second this.

@Bruh! My plan was to self study, I didn’t have time to attend classes and for practicing problems. I signed up for SOPE only because I didn’t have to pay upfront (my company had an agreement with them). I didn’t watch their lectures but I read notes and did all the problems. Their NEC notes helped me, I didn’t know much prior to this test. They don't send a binder, you have to print everything yourself. That was a pain. Would I have signed up for SOPE if I had to pay out of pocket? Hell naw. There are plenty of free stuff on YouTube 😁

I also had an opportunity to view Georgia Tech material. I really liked his transformer and machines stuff. He is a professor with many years of teaching experience. I wouldn't mind paying for his class myself if needed. 

My advise, try to do as much practice problems as possible (the first month). If you feel like you need a class then go for it. We are all different, what works for me might not work for you.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Mercy Thats my plan. I will start learning the topics and plan to solve the problems as i go along. If ever i feel like i need a class i'll go for it. 

I passed the exam 1st attempt with self study.

Primary study material was NCEES sample exam, Graffeo, Wildi, Power Systems Analysis (Charles Gross), NEC Handbook 2014 and Mike Holt (Electrical exam Preparation, useful to practice NEC questions) . I then later added three extra practice exams by graffeo, Wasim Ashgar (Study guide for PE) and PPI book by camara ( I bought the second edition its cheaper. I did not study from this book but used it as a reference. it has a good index to help search for things). 

At the very end I bought the Engineering pro guides sample exam, this is a very good exam with well designed questions I would say with difficulty level similar to NCEES.

Halfway through my studies I started looking at the free videos available from the online courses, I found that in general they can be of use but basically cover the same material in the self study guides so instead I decided to invest in more the extra practice exams and reference books. None of them as far as I could tell  cover the code books enough.

Whether or not you take a review course you still have to buy the reference books and code books, so I would suggest buy the reference books (starting with graffeo and filling the gaps with wildi and the ncees sample exam) and start studying if you then feel like you are getting stuck or don't know what to study or focus on buy the review course.

whichever route you take have an all in mentality 

Good Luck
Thanks for your advice. I plan to go though the books path first and if i feel like i am lost then probably switch to online class.

Hello Folks,
I took the Power PE exam two times, last time in April 2019. I think I studied hard for the first time and I felt confident but I got no luck the exam day, in part because of failing to follow my strategy, including wasting time trying to solve EVERY question instead of wisely using that time to check the work done.

For the second try, I needed some guidance, so I registered for the Zach classes https://www.electricalpereview.com/ and I can tell you, HONESTLY, one of the best investments of my life, and not only because of the content, I say that because It truly helped me focus on the key points to beat the exam.

I wanna point out that I’m not getting ANY profits or ANYTHING ELSE by writing this... I already passed the exam. I only think his course, despite being fairly new on the market, deserves a bigger recognition. 

If you pass, then yes it is worth it. First time, I tried studying myself. Failed 42/80. Second time,  I did the GT Course (wouldn't recommend) and Zach Stone's course. I passed. I spent aprox. $1400 on everything. To me, taking both (and purchasing books) was definitely worth it because I passed. Of course, my company reimbursed me but it's up to you. 
I second that. I took the Ga Tech course and it's woefully outdated. The exam has also changed significantly. The biggest portion of the exam now is power protection. 

I did not take an online course as part of my studying. It is a really personal thing as to whether that style of learning will jive with you. I ended up taking a very hands-on, reference-material-prep focused approach instead of a review course. I think a big reason for this was that the review courses I checked out at the time were monotone, lecture recordings focused on theory. If I could have found a course focused specifically on 'passing the PE exam' that was current, up to date, and not lazily created, I probably would have been a lot more likely to consider it. 

On this forum, I have seen a lot of love for the Zach Stone material. I watched a lot of his youtube videos during my studying and he's clear and his videos are good quality. I used a lot of the Engineering Pro Guides material (books/exams) in my studying and liked his take/approach a lot. He now offers a review course, and I would probably check that out if I was currently studying.

Generally I would look for people who are 'participating' in the continued changes to the PE. There are some courses/materials out there that haven't changed for several years - those are probably outdated/low effort. I see Zach and Justin on here regularly, and I think they are keeping up with the changes to the exam content. This doesn't exclude others, btw, I am just pulling out two names I see a lot and have heard good things about. There could be others I don't know about.

I did not take an online course as part of my studying. It is a really personal thing as to whether that style of learning will jive with you. I ended up taking a very hands-on, reference-material-prep focused approach instead of a review course. I think a big reason for this was that the review courses I checked out at the time were monotone, lecture recordings focused on theory. If I could have found a course focused specifically on 'passing the PE exam' that was current, up to date, and not lazily created, I probably would have been a lot more likely to consider it. 

On this forum, I have seen a lot of love for the Zach Stone material. I watched a lot of his youtube videos during my studying and he's clear and his videos are good quality. I used a lot of the Engineering Pro Guides material (books/exams) in my studying and liked his take/approach a lot. He now offers a review course, and I would probably check that out if I was currently studying.

Generally I would look for people who are 'participating' in the continued changes to the PE. There are some courses/materials out there that haven't changed for several years - those are probably outdated/low effort. I see Zach and Justin on here regularly, and I think they are keeping up with the changes to the exam content. This doesn't exclude others, btw, I am just pulling out two names I see a lot and have heard good things about. There could be others I don't know about.
I second every bit of this.

Back