Interesting stories?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On your first point:
I really did mean to fill one out about one of the PM transportation questions, can i still fill the form out or is it to late at this point?

We had a guy with the wrong calculator (sat right next to GTScott, who sat in front of me) It was funny watching a grown man about to cry. It was even funnier when someone loaned him a HP 33S,and he didnt know how to use the RPN...

Our exam administrator was a little hottie, but she seemed like the kind of girl that if you married her, you would pray to the gods for them to let you die...

Also I was taking a leak just before the test and I busted my zipper in the latrine, I had to walk halfway across the room showing of my tighty whiteys
You mean the guy who let him borrow the calculator asked him if he knew how to use RPN, found out he didn't, and kept it in RPN mode for him? ouch!! :blink: It's a nice feature on the hp33s, to switch from standard to RPN.

I'm sure many of us handed our calcs to a co-worker for a quick calc, and they had no clue of RPN operation, then the laughing started when they ask whats wrong with the calc.

Like many out there, I've used RPN for years (since 1990) and I'm used to thinking a certain way, it's not easy as easy as I thought trying to work with a standard calc cause I tried. Fortunatly they let a RPN calc on the test.

I guess on the other hand, part of taking this test is being prepared, taking responsibility to read, understand, and FOLLOW the instruction letter (and I know, unfortunate things happen too).

Last edited:
I think the guy who didnt bring the correct calculator actually got the girl sitting behind him to change it from RPN mode to regular mode.

I like the RPN as well, it makes much more sense to me, I have my HP 48SX locked away until I get my passing letter though...

I had a friend start on the wrong test in the PM. He was going to transpo but started on Geo. By the time he realized his error an hour had passed. He tried to stick with Geo , big mistake. Had 2 structure guys beside me and they had only answered 18 questions in the afternoon at the 15 mins left signal. They didn't look to happy, but hey what structure guy does!!!! :rotfl:

Had 2 structure guys beside me and they had only answered 18 questions in the afternoon at the 15 mins left signal.
Are you serious? Well, I did get finished, so that makes me feel a little better about my structral pm exam.

:kick:

there were tons of hotties at my site. about half-way through the pm, one of the girls got up and started removing all of her clothing. oh wait, i was at the gentlemen's club that afternoon. :drunk:

Roadguy, I remember the guy that borrowed a calculator in the exam.  My heart breaks for him that it was an HP, and he can't use RPN.  That happened to me at Tech when my calculator's batteries died, and I learned my lesson.  I brought extra batteries to the PE and my calculator was solar!
so you must have been sitting close to me?

Part of me really did feel bad for the guy (A very small part)

Long time no see , hope things have been well.
I was in the last row and the second table from the left. I think the guy with no calculator was about 3 tables to the right. It has been a while. The wedding went off without a hitch, and the honeymoon was fun (Vegas). I'm afraid I didn't get a lot of studying done with all that going on in September. This time, I only did practice problems during my study time. Last time, I did hardly any problems and that really messed me up. I feel much better about this time around than last, but who knows if I did well enough to pass.

When I took the FE exam (Tallahassee - Fall 2002) I was the first to arrive at the site. I figured I'd give myself plenty of time for car trouble and, time permitting, relax with a small drink and the morning paper to clear my head. Ten minutes into the newspaper, a guy shows up for the exam with a book dolly and a dozen reference books. I thought, "Son of a gun. Didn't the instructions say not to bring references? Well, I'll go in and take a look at the exam and try again in the spring."

Turns out the guy was a day late for taking the Part II exam. He was a first-timer who'd never looked at his admission letter. I felt bad for him but if he can't figure that out, I don't want him signing plans for the next bridge I drive over.

On a related note, it was torture taking the exam at the airport conference center. Guys were flying in for the Notre Dame / Florida State football game so I was walking in to take the FE exam while they were walking out to go tailgating.

For informational purposes, I took the general exam in the PM and scored a 78.

Well, this isn't really that interesting, but it was kind of one of those "why does this **** always happen to me?" moments. We were forced to move to another exam room during the lunch break because the hotel staff didn't have the proper room ready in the morning, and there was a wedding or something in the afternoon. So we all haul our stuff over to the next room, take "exactly the same table you had in the other room" as instructed, and as I sit down, I discover that the frickin' hotel staff installed my particular table backwards. The tables were those really skinny conference-type tables, and on one side there's a bar or something that's about knee height. I only had another two minutes or so before the afternoon session began, so I just groaned and said nothing, and sat sideways for the rest of the exam. It was kind of humiliating. The saying nothing part, I mean.

:ZZZ:

oh man that had to suck, its bad enough you had to get on a **** airplane, you should get like 2-3 free points just for having to get on an airplane to take the exam

My wife was leaving after dropping me off at the test site. There was a guy that my wife saw parking and getting his bags She said to him that he might want to hurry up. He started running.

They had just shut the doors (with that 45 minutes of talk stuff), but would not let him in. I actually felt a little sorry for the guy.

:true:

My wife reminded me of another story.

There was an old guy...(ok, stop calling him old) that walked into the April exam without any support materials and my wife struck up a conversation with him. Turns out that he was unaware of the CERM and, as expected, failed the April exam. Prior to the exam, my wife explained to him the need for the CERM or other references, but he didn't have those available. For the October exam, the gentleman showed up again, but, this time, had the CERM and the WR six min sol for reference. We hope he did well. :true:

Back