Interesting stories?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MetroRAFB

First: Did anyone taking the PE Friday fill out one of those NCEES forms complaining about the fairness/wording of any exam questions? There were two I was going to bitch about, but totally didn't give a crap by the time the exam was over. My brain was so mushy by then I couldn't have recreated the exact problems word for word from scratch anyway, or even remembered what number they were.

:?7?:

Second: Does anyone have any interesting stories about test day? Our proctor while reading the morning instructions initially said we had 4hrs and 45 minutes to work the morning portion. You could have heard a pin drop until one of the other proctors corrected her. It was pretty funny, I got the impression that 350 or so examinees were gonna let that one slide if they got the chance. :lol2x:

I took the FE on saturday and I had someone not show up for the afternoon session. This really really scrubby looking guy came in about 2 minutes before they were going to close the doors to start the test. He was wearing a nasty flannel shirt and a ragged John Deer hat.

He finished the morning session with about an hour to spare (Im doubting he finished at this point). He never came back. He left his calculator (HP33s) and his John Deer hat laying in the testing room. A proctor took it and put it on the table outside the room and it was still there when I finished and left.

Also the guy infront of me kept EATING during the exam. I figured that was against the rules but about halfway through the morning session he called the proctor over and whispered to her he was diabetic and had to go take an insulin shot (I heard it because the tables were so close front to back but very spread out side to side). So he picked up a leather case and went to the bathroom.

On your first point:

I really did mean to fill one out about one of the PM transportation questions, can i still fill the form out or is it to late at this point?

We had a guy with the wrong calculator (sat right next to GTScott, who sat in front of me) It was funny watching a grown man about to cry. It was even funnier when someone loaned him a HP 33S,and he didnt know how to use the RPN...

Our exam administrator was a little hottie, but she seemed like the kind of girl that if you married her, you would pray to the gods for them to let you die...

Also I was taking a leak just before the test and I busted my zipper in the latrine, I had to walk halfway across the room showing of my tighty whiteys

Last edited by a moderator:
LMAO! That's a good one RoadGuy, you pervert.

One of the proctors made two guys a few tables away from me rip all the pages out of a couple spiral notebooks they had and put the individual pages in a 3-ring binder they had. I'm not sure what the point of that was.

I guess some states dont like the spiral notebooks?

I am glad Georgia is laid back, all they check is your calculator.

Fusion, maybe that was me. LOL.

I was getting low sugar all through the morning section, but left the room twice to eat something. I bought a snickers that helped out, but the funny story is, it got snagged in the vending machine that was right outside of the exam room. I had to rock the machine side to side, and back and forth until it finally fell out. The ELSES guy and the security guard were out there laughing at me.

I told them I was about 5 seconds away from turning that vending machine upside down, and handing out snacks to everyone.

That machine was PISSIN' ME OFF.

When my anxiety goes up, my blood glucose drops even faster. I was a mess during the AM portion.

Do people honestly think they can bring cell phones in if they just turn them off? We had like 5 announcements that cell phones are NOT allowed in the room at all. And after every announcement you could see some proctor collecting another cell phone. I think we got started like 30 minutes late just from people bringing in cell phones.

This was at Austin.

That was no little hottie RoadGuy, that was a CALCULATOR THIEVING SUCCUBUS!

Give me back my calculator you demoness!

Did anyone actually witness a booting from any of the exams?

Last edited by a moderator:
DVinny I cant imagine how terrible it must be taking a test with low blood sugar. I dont really have problem with it but my wife does and when hers gets low she turns into a monster.

The story about the guy having the wrong calculator is great though (great as in I feel bad for him). How could you not know what calculator to bring it. Its pasted all over the NCEES website and the registration form AND the admission paper.

I can answer that: I naively believed that my TI-36 without the "x" in the designation would pass (even though I had secretly modified it into a digital spy camera with satellite uplink connected directly to Jeopardy champ Ken Jennings cerebral cortex and a roomful of scientists at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasedena). It's always good to have a backup calculator so I was spared.

Next thing you know, OSHA is gonna be on NCEES' butts. There will be strict regs on how many books, what type of cart to tote them in (ie, an officially sanctioned NCEES cart), etc... NCEES and/or "the other board" (one in the same?) should be able to make a few more bucks out of this. :thumbsup: :D

Ed

He finished the morning session with about an hour to spare (Im doubting he finished at this point). He never came back. He left his calculator (HP33s) and his John Deer hat laying in the testing room. A proctor took it and put it on the table outside the room and it was still there when I finished and left.
My boss told me how he took the equivalent of the FE in the early 70s. He was a frat boy senior in college, and heard it was easy and you didn't even need to prepare for it.

He got to the exam room, looked at the first couple questions, put his pencil down, and went home.

One of our proctors tripped over somebody's books toward the end of the AM section. She was an older woman and they took her out on a stretcher. I suppose she must of broken her hip or something. Sad, but then again, there probably should be an age limitation for the proctors, I think the youngest proctor I saw was a young whippersnapper of about 73 years.
Are you f'in kidding me? :rotflmao

One of our proctors tripped over somebody's books toward the end of the AM section. She was an older woman and they took her out on a stretcher. I suppose she must of broken her hip or something. Sad, but then again, there probably should be an age limitation for the proctors, I think the youngest proctor I saw was a young whippersnapper of about 73 years.
You tripped her didn't ya sap???

cheese-410.jpg

Roadguy, I remember the guy that borrowed a calculator in the exam. My heart breaks for him that it was an HP, and he can't use RPN. That happened to me at Tech when my calculator's batteries died, and I learned my lesson. I brought extra batteries to the PE and my calculator was solar!

Roadguy, I remember the guy that borrowed a calculator in the exam. My heart breaks for him that it was an HP, and he can't use RPN. That happened to me at Tech when my calculator's batteries died, and I learned my lesson. I brought extra batteries to the PE and my calculator was solar!
so you must have been sitting close to me?

Part of me really did feel bad for the guy (A very small part)

Long time no see , hope things have been well.

I sat for the FE in Delaware in April....two guys came back from lunch like 2 minutes late....they had started to hand out the PM test and they booted the two guys....they were pissed...!!! Packed up their stuff and out the door they went...

I sat for the FE in Delaware in April....two guys came back from lunch like 2 minutes late....they had started to hand out the PM test and they booted the two guys....they were pissed...!!! Packed up their stuff and out the door they went...
I guess they (the proctors) need to have control, but IMO that's a little extreme. I bet they felt good about themselves afterward (the proctors)- NOT.

Ed

Back