I just switched to Geico...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About the home insurance just read your policy lots of times there is a pot of money set up for furnishings and minor improvements that's already covered...

I would think if you remodel your kitchen you would need to let them know but if you added a sunroom or something to the structure you may want to?

Meant to say if you remodel your kitchen you would not need to let them know..??

Our one wreck with Allstate was when my husband hit a deer. The shop they authorized to do the repairs had his truck for over a month and did a crappy job.

I'm pleased with my Allstate home insurance and was okay with my auto until this last quote.

One good thing in IL, you can take it to any shop you want and insurance still has to pay. Sure some companies have preferred locations and it make the bill payments easier, but they have cover work anywhere. I wish IL had the super nice windshield replacement requirements like other states.

That's odd if you have been with them a long time... When we had a one car wreck last year SF told me that I could get up to $10K in repairs before I would be in danger of my rates going up.. That was my first claim

In 20 years.....

SF told you $10K? The back of my policies say $700 in payouts could raise rates, unless it was due to acts of god.

Nope. Clearly stated 6-months for just the autos. I've sent an e-mail asking why it will be so expensive, cc-ing my actual agent.

And the wreck he had was in 2012 and it didn't affect our rates then. Accident forgiveness and all that jazz.

20 years, two drivers, no claims, that's what they told me- I was worried about rates going up because I had just moved and I didn't have the same agent who I had known since High School...

I actually bumped a sign on the interstate on the way to eat lunch with cement and dex a month ago , I need to get a dent / scratch fixed but I wanted to at least put a year in between the other claim..... it was impressive though, I was admit tingly speeding (due to Dex.s poor directions) and came over a little hill and all lanes were stopped, I swerved into the gore area doing around 75 mph and locked up the brakes, hitting the merge sign that's in the gore area (no damage to sign) The auto 4WD kicked in and I think that kept me from spinning.. It was hard to believe I didn't plow into 4 -5 cars to be honest..

I plan to shop it around since we have a $500 deductible maybe I can get a jerry fix without going full quarter panel replacement..

also yeah - what deductible do you have? the higher deductible does save us around $300 a year for both cars..

I've got the blackbox from Allstate. If you drive over 10,000 miles a year you get nothing back. I'm at roughly 25,000. So its not even close. I did get a $130 something back just for signing up but thats all i'll see from it. The box wont work in a highlander hybrid, so the wife didn't get one.

The reply, after I asked, "WTF?!"

Dear csb,

Thank you for the note, Don and I had a chance to look at your policy this morning, we noticed that you have Allstate's Platinum Protection Plan that gives you some benefits that you would not get on a regular Insurance policy with other companies. For instance, Accident Forgiveness, 5% of your premium back every 6 months, Deductible rewards ($100 off your collision ded each year - you have accumulated $500 so you would have a -0- deductible in the case of a collision claim). With this in mind you could go to a $1000 deductible on Collision and still just have a $500 deductible. We do have a plan without these perks that the premium is about $325 lower.

There are other great reasons to insure with Allstate, we have guaranteed claims service, the value of staying w/ one company in these uncertain times w so many claims occurring due to weather etc. gives you an edge for longevity, also some companies may entise you with lower rates initially that rise quickly once you buy as their discounts diminish. You also have that great "Bundle Discount" that effects your home and auto.

We do have some additional discounts that we can offer you to help offset your premium, some would take effect at your renewal but it could be up to 15%.

I hope that I have provided you with the information you need to help you be glad to be an Allstate Insured. If you would like to talk about this in detail, we always encourage you to come in and do an Insurance Review with Don. We are available at your convenience. If there is anything that I can further help with, feel free to reply or give me a call.

Thank you for your questions, we appreciate you asking!
So I can get it down to $1000/six months? Sigh.

when we had two cars insured both near brand new(one suv & one sedan) I think we were right about $750-$800 every 6 months.

The reply, after I asked, "WTF?!"

Dear csb,

Thank you for the note, Don and I had a chance to look at your policy this morning, we noticed that you have Allstate's Platinum Protection Plan that gives you some benefits that you would not get on a regular Insurance policy with other companies. For instance, Accident Forgiveness, 5% of your premium back every 6 months, Deductible rewards ($100 off your collision ded each year - you have accumulated $500 so you would have a -0- deductible in the case of a collision claim). With this in mind you could go to a $1000 deductible on Collision and still just have a $500 deductible. We do have a plan without these perks that the premium is about $325 lower.

There are other great reasons to insure with Allstate, we have guaranteed claims service, the value of staying w/ one company in these uncertain times w so many claims occurring due to weather etc. gives you an edge for longevity, also some companies may entise you with lower rates initially that rise quickly once you buy as their discounts diminish. You also have that great "Bundle Discount" that effects your home and auto.

We do have some additional discounts that we can offer you to help offset your premium, some would take effect at your renewal but it could be up to 15%.

I hope that I have provided you with the information you need to help you be glad to be an Allstate Insured. If you would like to talk about this in detail, we always encourage you to come in and do an Insurance Review with Don. We are available at your convenience. If there is anything that I can further help with, feel free to reply or give me a call.

Thank you for your questions, we appreciate you asking!
So I can get it down to $1000/six months? Sigh.
Sounds like it's time to switch.

It's comparing apples to oranges because my cars are older ('06 Aveo and '97 Cherokee) and I don't drive many miles, but I pay about $500 every 6 months for full coverage on both my cars. And Michigan supposedly has the highest auto insurance rates in the country (though I attribute a lot of that to Detroit).

call USAA.. they were not able to match state farms rates (for us) but they were not to far off. I have a bank account with them, I like they still refer to me as 1Lt when they call trying to lure me to their home / auto plan...

We have USAA for auto and home insurance and we've been very happy with them. We have had to file auto and home claims and they were great with both. For auto, we have a Tundra and an Outback and pay $486 for 6 months.

We did try going with them for a mortgage and did not have a good experience, so I would suggest just sticking with their insurance dept.

Back