How would I test bamboo vs. steel reninforcement?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually got first in Materials Science
That's awesome! Gongrats.

The engineer who judged my project threw some really hard questions though-- he asked about the heat capacity and the time it would take to collapse, both of which I did not test. Any tips on how to test this?
I'm a water resources guy, not structural, so others might be able to help here better than I can. But steel elongates and weakens when heated. Think 1000 deg f in a structure fire. 

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/amse/2008/814137/

You could have a teacher/parent help you take a blow torch to the models while under load.

What about placement of your steel/concrete in your test beam?  I hope you discovered that the closer the reinforcing is to the tension side of your beam, then the greater the strength/capacity of the beam.

As far as modeling or demonstrating resistance to heat effects the temperatures could get substantial.  Do some research on the subject to see the order of magnitude.  A physical demonstration may not be practical.

I'm back again with another question! So I won 1st in Director's Choice in the State Science Fair and I was offered to continue my research in a lab setting! I understand that continuing to rely on bamboo rods would be impractical, they absorb water, are prone to igniting on fire, void in rod area of larger species, etc., so I'm thinking about research on bamboo fibers. I would have to do extensive research on this since I really don't know anything about weaving(?) fibers, but if anyone has any suggestions that'd be great!

@8thgradertiff, congrats on your success. Sounds like a good opportunity to experiment with different types of "weaving" patters too. For example; straight, spiral, braid, etc. Have you thought about treating the bamboo before placing it in the concrete? Rebar is treated to help prevent rusting. 

If you succeed, I'm going to stop making fun of "basket weaving" as a college course.   

Back