How Much Structural Knowledge is Needed for Seismic Exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

june

Reaction score
I am preparing to give the CA Seismic exam this time and find it extremely tough. Structural had always been my weak subject. Can someone please let me know what chapters in CERM I can study first, so I can understand Seismic better. Thank you.

To my recollection, there is not any seismic information in the CERM. Probably not even much in the SERM. You'd probably just have to find some good practice problems, and become familiar with the seismic sections of IBC and ASCE7.

I have not taken the exam you mention though, so I can't say for sure.

Do all Civil Engr's have to take the Seismic exam in CA, or is it only for Structural Engr's?

I am preparing to give the CA Seismic exam this time and find it extremely tough. Structural had always been my weak subject. Can someone please let me know what chapters in CERM I can study first, so I can understand Seismic better. Thank you.
june, you won't need to study any structures material outside of the seismic workbook from the class you decide to take.

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=19748&view=findpost&p=6982072

Structures wasn't my strong point either.

To my recollection, there is not any seismic information in the CERM. Probably not even much in the SERM. You'd probably just have to find some good practice problems, and become familiar with the seismic sections of IBC and ASCE7.

Do all Civil Engr's have to take the Seismic exam in CA, or is it only for Structural Engr's?
Joe, all Civils in CA need to take an additional 2.5 hour, 50 question, Survey exam and a Seismic exam in addition to the NCEES 8-hr exam (3 exams total).

Oh wow, that doesnt sound fun. Seems odd that someone doing water resources, sanitary or sewers, drainage, environmental, roadway (excluding bridges), etc. would have to take a Seismic exam. Is it real generic? It doesnt seem like those other disciplines would be expected to know how to design for seismicity, or are they?

Oh wow, that doesnt sound fun. Seems odd that someone doing water resources, sanitary or sewers, drainage, environmental, roadway (excluding bridges), etc. would have to take a Seismic exam. Is it real generic? It doesnt seem like those other disciplines would be expected to know how to design for seismicity, or are they?
No, it isn't fun. It adds an average of one year to each examinee's timeline (the average examinee takes three exam cycles to pass the three exams), it costs hundreds more (exam fees, books/classes, etc.) and it adds a few hundred more study hours. Yes, I feel the same way - why is Seismic required for all civil engineers? Of course it should be required for all SEs, but why all Civil PEs? I don't know - I guess just because we are in "earthquake country". Survey I can see (it's the basis for nearly any Civil project) but Seismic is very specialized. Yes, the Seismic exam material is pretty generic for the most part. It is called 'Seismic Principles'. What's weird though is it isn't part of the CA college CE curriculum (at least at San Diego State University it wasn't), unlike all the other topics on the exam (including survey). So many of us need to learn the material for the first time when preparing for the exam. Correct, I suspect very few of us RCEs design for seismicity on any regular basis. But, with all that said, it is a good feeling when you pass. :)

june, you won't need to study any structures material outside of the seismic workbook from the class you decide to take.

http://engineerboard...dpost&p=6982072

Structures wasn't my strong point either.

Joe, all Civils in CA need to take an additional 2.5 hour, 50 question, Survey exam and a Seismic exam in addition to the NCEES 8-hr exam (3 exams total).
55 questions now.

No, it isn't fun. It adds an average of one year to each examinee's timeline (the average examinee takes three exam cycles to pass the three exams), it costs hundreds more (exam fees, books/classes, etc.) and it adds a few hundred more study hours. Yes, I feel the same way - why is Seismic required for all civil engineers? Of course it should be required for all SEs, but why all Civil PEs? I don't know - I guess just because we are in "earthquake country". Survey I can see (it's the basis for nearly any Civil project) but Seismic is very specialized. Yes, the Seismic exam material is pretty generic for the most part. It is called 'Seismic Principles'. What's weird though is it isn't part of the CA college CE curriculum (at least at San Diego State University it wasn't), unlike all the other topics on the exam (including survey). So many of us need to learn the material for the first time when preparing for the exam. Correct, I suspect very few of us RCEs design for seismicity on any regular basis. But, with all that said, it is a good feeling when you pass. :)
I think it's unfair to say it's not part of the cirriculum at SDSU, it's just optional and most people choose not to take those courses. I voluntarily took all of the structural offerings at SDSU and the 600-level earthquake engineering course prepared me enough to pass the Seismic portion with very little time investment outside of the classroom.

I think it's unfair to say it's not part of the cirriculum at SDSU, it's just optional and most people choose not to take those courses. I voluntarily took all of the structural offerings at SDSU and the 600-level earthquake engineering course prepared me enough to pass the Seismic portion with very little time investment outside of the classroom.
OK - I think it is fair to say that Seismic was not part of the required curriculum. Survey, Transpo, Structures, Water, Geo (and now Construction but not when I was at SDSU 5+ years ago) are all part of the required curriculum for graduation (Ex. Every topic tested on the CA PE exam is required except for Seismic).

Back