How Much of Pay Raise after PE Certification?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My full time position will get me nil, but it will get me about $10 more a credit hour in my adjunt professor position at the local uni.

nothing yet for me...

but wish me luck as i wait with my fingers crossed as my superiors wait on the decision....

I recieved about a $7100/yr raise for passing....my bosses "IN" box just became my "IN" Box :)

Andrew

Well I've officially been told that the company's finances are not currently in a position where they can afford to give me a raise to which I am entitled. Add to that the fact that I have recently become aware of the age-old story of other people making 50% more than me while doing 100% less, and you will find a very unhappy PE in your midst.

The "age old story" will never change. I really think that if the company you work for is not willing to recognize your efforts and adjust your salary accordingly, you should look for an employer who will. You're not alone. I got nothing for passing PE. And, engineers are not really valued in my current company. I try not to let it bother me much, but I still think it's not fair.

I got a promotion as a result of passing the PE, which included a 7.5% raise. Also reimbursement for all fees and and my review course with the EERM, so that's about another $1,000.

In my experience, most companies will readily take a faithful employee for granted, and usually will not value the experience that you have gained with them as much as the experience of a new candidate who got his experience form elsewhere. It makes no sense really, but I have seen it over and over again. I think it may be a version of the grass is always greener on the other side. My pay was fairly flat for the first 5 years out of school, and I later found out that new hires with less experience were being brought in at higher pay rates. When I started being willing to take other opportunities, I found that my pay grew almost exponentially. If your company is hurting so much that they can't pay you what you are worth, then my advice is to look in earnest for other opportunities, and when you find one, take it. Then tell your current employer to pound sand. And don't let them buy you back at that point, because then they will really feel like they own you. There are just too many opprtunities right now for experienced engineers. Many companies just seem to reward employee loyalty only with an attitude of "he or she isn't going anywhere." My two cents for what it's worth.

My company has created a horrible situation. To advance within the company, you have to wait for your replacement to be hired and train the replacement before moving on to your new job. That makes no sense to me.

My company has created a horrible situation. To advance within the company, you have to wait for your replacement to be hired and train the replacement before moving on to your new job. That makes no sense to me.
I think that policy will ultimately bite them in the arse, because the employee worthy of advancement will get impatient, sail towards bluer waters, and leave them with nobody carrying that load, experienced or inexperienced.

I got no bonus and no raise for my PE. I work in the private sector; my company doesn't recognize it. I guess my bonus is that I get to keep my job with all the layoffs going around. I can't complain much. I did get a promotion last year, even in the midst of layoffs. I also have a very flexible schedule and can sometimes work from home, which works out great with my family.

I got no bonus and no raise for my PE. I work in the private sector; my company doesn't recognize it. I guess my bonus is that I get to keep my job with all the layoffs going around. I can't complain much. I did get a promotion last year, even in the midst of layoffs. I also have a very flexible schedule and can sometimes work from home, which works out great with my family.
I'm surprised to hear that there are a lot of layoffs going on. That is not at all the case in my sector, EPC of power projects. My company has a huge and growing backlog of work and are scouring for more engineers to try and keep our projects adequately manned.

Yeah, we are a full service AE in OK and can't find licensed engineers and architects for the most part. Definitely not laying any off right now. Market still seems to be pretty strong.

In my experience, most companies will readily take a faithful employee for granted, and usually will not value the experience that you have gained with them as much as the experience of a new candidate who got his experience form elsewhere. It makes no sense really, but I have seen it over and over again. I think it may be a version of the grass is always greener on the other side. My pay was fairly flat for the first 5 years out of school, and I later found out that new hires with less experience were being brought in at higher pay rates. When I started being willing to take other opportunities, I found that my pay grew almost exponentially. If your company is hurting so much that they can't pay you what you are worth, then my advice is to look in earnest for other opportunities, and when you find one, take it. Then tell your current employer to pound sand. And don't let them buy you back at that point, because then they will really feel like they own you. There are just too many opprtunities right now for experienced engineers. Many companies just seem to reward employee loyalty only with an attitude of "he or she isn't going anywhere." My two cents for what it's worth.
I agree 100%.

I'm surprised to hear that there are a lot of layoffs going on. That is not at all the case in my sector, EPC of power projects. My company has a huge and growing backlog of work and are scouring for more engineers to try and keep our projects adequately manned.
I work in the semiconductor industry. It is cyclical -- good bonuses during the good times; layoffs during the bad. These past few years, its seems that we cannot get out of the bad cycle. If and/or when I get let go, I'll be looking for a career change. For now, I'm enjoying the ride.

Yeah, we are a full service AE in OK and can't find licensed engineers and architects for the most part. Definitely not laying any off right now. Market still seems to be pretty strong.
This is the main reason I got the my PE. It gives me peace of mind that PE's are in demand.

As part of my most recent employee evaluation (which actually hasn't been completed yet) I was given a promotion and pay increase of 5.5% for having 1-yr of post professional engineering experience.

Given that my job duties remain essentially the same, I shouldn't bitch too much. However, I am still well below my 'market pay' given that I work for the state gubment. With this last pay raise I have hit my ceiling without entering the ranks of 'at-will' management.

The pay raise from :burgerking: is more significant because it draws attention to the 'good' job I am doing rather than the actually $$ compensation. At some point in the future, I am hoping to parlay that into a decent private sector job. Until then ....

:bio:

JR

Got a 10% raise for passing PE and a promotion to a senior level. I still think my market value is higher but no complaint here especially because of the fact that I live in one of the most desirable areas of Forida where a ton of people in other states save all year long just to come here for a week and enjoy the beach that I walk/run every morning in the weekends, and the fact that I do really enjoy my work with all its challenges and I like the working atmospher including my great boss. So, I guess I am just thankfull and happy..

Good luck to everyone..

This is the problem I have with being an engineer for a company.

I currently make 128k base for a Fortune 10 firm with 1st tier MBA & Engineering degrees, and I hope to quit my job in a year or two -- the poor engineers make squat.

With the business I operate parttime with fulltime workers, I garnish $250 to $350 an hour doing HVACR engineering & contracting; for example, my company designed and installed a 1.5 MBTU Boiler where I cleared 35k for 1 week's work -- that some sexy cheese. I'm also getting acquainted with large Law firms where I can make $1000 to $1500 a day doing engineering consulting.

I have a PE, and I know where the money is -- not being an employee.

I went through the same crap for a while. I finally started making it clear what I thought my contributions and what my expectations were. They finally got the hint that I was going to leave and have come a long way.
you can always look. what industry are you in? location?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back