How is your SE exams (2020 October)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi David, do you know the passing criteria of SE exams? I heard it needs to be scored more than 70% for both morning and depth problems to pass. Is this right? or any thoughts on this? Thanks.
I'm not David, but I recommend going to the thread about the October 2019 Exam results at https://engineerboards.com/topic/34507-se-exam-oct-2019-result/#comments. It's about 23 pages long, but a couple of the posters including @TehMightyEngineer and @ChaosMuppetPE did an awesome job of looking at the results of that exam and others. It seems to be about 70% each session, but you also can't have an unacceptable in the PM session. 

Hi David, do you know the passing criteria of SE exams? I heard it needs to be scored more than 70% for both morning and depth problems to pass. Is this right? or any thoughts on this? Thanks.
Yeah, I think they do a statistical analysis of all the questions, weigh them, etc.  Based on past diagnostic results of people who didn't pass they usually get less than 27-28 MC questions correct. Unfortunately, if you pass you don't get your results, other than "Acceptable."  

It's been almost 2 weeks and that afternoon lateral concrete problem is still nagging in the back of my mind. I felt good about everything else, but man even after taking the AEI course, that problem was nothing like I was expecting. Hopefully the graders are kind with that one.

Propose a friendly amendment to the title of this thread.  Suggest, "What Degree of Horrific and Sadistic Was Your SE Exam?"  

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know when the grading weekend for SE exam is scheduled? I remember the results almost always come out the following week

Anyone know when the grading weekend for SE exam is scheduled? I remember the results almost always come out the following week
The SE grading workshop is this weekend. The Dec. issue of licensure exchange should be out anytime now.

Hoping the results come by Friday next week.

I was super anxious waiting for the PE exam results. I have tried to block from my memory that I even took the SE so I haven't even been that nervous. I know I bombed the lateral, I just hope I passed the vertical

I wonder if they check our afternoon papers manually with on-site subject matter experts or sending them to check virtually due to COVID.

My understanding used to be that the scoring workshop was just a workshop on developing the scoring plan and training the scorers for the scorers to score the questions on their own afterwards. Apparently all questions are scored during the workshop itself.

So the only way to finish the scoring by Dec 5th would be through remote scoring, scanning for the second scorer. In cases where the scoring leader has to be the third scorer and cast the deciding vote, it may be either way - score the hard copy or another scanned copy as they do not get to see the original two scorers work.

All things considered, I don’t think the results would be out before the latter part of the third week this year. A holiday gift for 4 out of 10 of exam takers. 

Actually, if done remotely, two scorers can score independently with the two scans sent to them separately. That can be a plus in terms of time. Hopefully  my prediction is going to be wrong but who knows. 

Back