Home Improvement/Repair Questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So did you base the model of fan on your house square footage, or go smaller? I have been interested in a whole house fan, as p here in the hills it would work really well, and I don't want to fork over the $$$ to add AC to our existing central air system for just 2 or 3 months of the year.

We did go for the SF of our house - There are a couple of different models based on power vs noise - They were all pretty close in spec #'s - I think ours was one below the "Lexus"

I didnt expect to have to put 4 roof vents exhaust ports whatever you call them in the house, but it works really well.

I am in the basement and have the window cracked down here and I can feel it pulling air from all the way upstairs (just through the cracks in the door I guess)

But our logic was the same, not much use of the AC here - I defin suspect it would be a good fit where you are.

We used a company called Quiet Cool Colorado - Veteran (West Point grad / Iragi vet owned) 

Woke up at 1 Am and had to turn the thing off cause I was literally freezing - 

I saw on the Google (Sux) that you can get an RF controller for that model. Not sure if it'll work with the switch already hardwired in, though.

These early hot days in the low 90's you defin feel about a 2 hour window where the bedrooms that face west and get the full sun blast get a little warm, but the rest of the house stays comfortable - then once the sun goes down it switches back to cool pretty quick-like

You sort of have to be strategic and close the windows on the west side of the house in the evenings when the sun is blasting that direction and open the ones on the east side of the house where the air is much cooler.

So when I had my basement done, the city made me add a few more ducts off my main AC system into the basement than I really wanted.  One is the one shown here that I would like to cut off - since the basement is really well insulated its just overkill and sucks more cold air away than I need during the summer.

I currently keep the vent closed, (its about 15 FT away from this location)  but wanted to be able to push as much cold air upstairs for when we do actually run the HVAC -  I thought about removing the flex duct and adding a cap here (that I could re connect should I need to add it back in)  We dont really run the air that much but when we do the basement is an ice box and the main floor is okay and the upstairs is like LOL. what AC? (which is the main reason we put in the attic fan)

HVAC.jpg

I'd add in a duct valve:

vents-us-grow-room-ventilation-kom-100-u-64_1000.jpg

That way, you can open / close when needed and the rest of the system looks kosher if/when an inspector walks through when you sell the place. One less thing to remember to repair before leaving.

The above image is from home depot.

Good idea thanks!

Crowds at HD have died down so maybe I can manage an excursion to the HVAC aisle this weekend!

Replacing a dishwasher should be easy.  Have you ever tried to replace one in a 90 year old house?  Sheeeeeiiiiiiiiiiittt.  Our house has wood floors throughout.  Like, the good stuff they used a long time ago.  At some point, a previous owner thought it'd be neat to put brick pavers over the floor in the kitchen.  Must've been done after the existing dishwasher was installed.  Well wouldn't you know... that extra thickness of that floor prevented me from removing the old washer.   :censored:   After deep thoughts and debating several options, I decided to cut the legs and move them to get just enough wiggle room to rip the damned thing out. *** SUCCESS!!! ***

Now all i have to do is install the new washer. 

giphy.gif

Remove it from the box, put on the feet and slide it to the opening.  This new one won't fit with the feet screwed out a couple of turns.  F.  <screw feet all the way in>  Dishwasher won't go in straight.  Gotta walk it in left, right, left, right, etc...  *** SUCCESS!!! ***  Now i just have to secure it to the cabinets with the tabs... that are still in the bag on the floor (these need to be installed prior to putting washer in its place)... F!   Take the f'er out, all-the-while beating the motors / pump on the bottom to shit going over the ledge created by the pavers / wood floor.  Try to install tabs with screws on tub.  Tabs aren't pre-tapped for screws...  Remove and "tap" holes with supplied screws.  Re-install.  Screws don't go flush to tub - remove screws / tabs - break out Mr. Dremel and Mr. Drill.  Install tabs and cuss the dishwasher back in the hole.  Where's my f'ing supply hose?  Go to install one hose end to the supply valve... wrong connector...  You see, the copper piping that came off was compression at the dishwasher end and flared at the valve end.  The crackhead who made that decision is sick.  My hose is compression at both ends.  F!!!  Wait!  I got a bag of adapters with this piece of shit.  <tear the torn up kitchen apart searching for bag>  I find the bag, tear it open and analyze to find that not a damned one of those adapters will work to hook up my hose at the valve.  I screwed adapter to adapter convincing myself that I could make it work.  Nothing.  Wait!  Maybe I can re-use the old copper tubing with these adapters.  Nope.  F.  I am now at the mercy of a $7 adapter fitting at the big orange box.

It's now 8 PM and I accept defeat for the day.  I am left with a dishwasher that does not work (yet), but looks good installed where it is.  I am left with an embarrassingly full sink full of dishes and a wife who isn't showing she's upset only because she witnessed this crusade.  I am also left with two boys who helped a bit during the ordeal, learned more of the fine art of "saving money by doing jobs yourself", and probably learned a few new words.  To be continued.

so the boys washed the dishes?

we bought a new dishwasher last year and the fine folks that built our house didnt run the tile all the way under, they had just placed some backer board that was "about" the same thickness as the tile but it didn't quite work with the new dishwasher, so I had to go buy a couple of slate pieces of tile to make it level & it just irritated the shit out of me that it was like that

Last edited by a moderator:
The coating on our dishwasher racks is peeling in places and rusting.  Replacement racks are like $200+ each.  WTF!  So we might as well just get a new washer.  This one is probably 15 yo anyway but it works great.  I recall when we bought it. I just said f’k it and paid the $100 to have it installed.  I recall mine saying the installer was whining that the existing machine was difficult to get out because it was old.  She’s like no shit pal that’s why we paid for a professional to do the install.  Lol.  Glad I went that route.  Will probably go that way again.

A lot of Costco’s appliances are free install -

Anyone try the new models of cordless circular saws? Supposedly the new batteries have come along way- need to get a new saw and wouldn’t mind trying one out - was looking at the Dewalt one mainly because I have a few other 20V batteries already.

Anyone try the new models of cordless circular saws? Supposedly the new batteries have come along way- need to get a new saw and wouldn’t mind trying one out - was looking at the Dewalt one mainly because I have a few other 20V batteries already.
I like the dewalt one, but what I’ve heard is that Makita has a superior battery system.

I was seriously considering this dewalt multi tool system that was on sale at HD the other day.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-Max-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Combo-Kit-10-Tool-w-2-Batteries-2-0Ah-Charger-Tool-Bag-DCK1020D2/305019378?mtc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-G-D25T-25_9_PORTABLE_POWER-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-PortablePower_PLA&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-G-D25T-25_9_PORTABLE_POWER-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-PortablePower_PLA-71700000034127218-58700003933021540-92700053252310110&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu6bslNjv6QIVjonICh3hWAWVEAQYAiABEgKnF_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I just don’t use things that much and my experience with battery powered tools is that when you go to use it the batteries just don’t hold a charge anymore.  Maybe these newer batteries are better in this regard.

Yeah, some things just don't make sense to be battery powered unless you are on a construction site with no plugs available.  I used to have a battery powered circular saw and sawzall.  Couldn't make more that a couple of cuts before the batteries were drained.  Even when I was drilling hundreds of holes in studs for wiring while finishing my basement, I used a corded drill so I didn't have to change batteries ever 30 minutes.

The new batteries aren’t much better. If you’re not using them regularly, you’ll be recharging them after a short usage time. Cordless has its place on my workbench, but most work is still done with corded tools.  

Aside from my table and miter saws, my stuff is all cordless...including the weedeater. I've got a corded circular saw, but I almost always use the cordless because of the convenience factor. I don't think I even own a corded drill any more. The weedeater is a good example. No, it will never work as well or have as much power as a gas trimmer, but all I have to do is put the battery in and go so I actually use it. When I had a gas, the trimming was rarely done because it was a PITA.

My combo of choice is the Ryobi 18V set(drill/circular saw/saws-all) that I got probably 20 years ago when I got my first house. Everything has worked great all this time and they get used on a pretty regular basis. At one point I thought it was time to replace because the tools seemed to not be working as well. Long story short, I  ended up with one of the new Li-ion batteries and everything worked like new again.

I wish I could give one a try before I buy - I was thinking about getting the dewalt one just because I already have 3- 20V batteries - and then pick up a cheapo one with a cord for infrequent uses when I need "more power"

When I did my above garage shelves that was a lot of drilling and such and it went all day on one charge (thats what she said) - but I know the circ saw is going to draw a little more power - I'm not looking to frame a house or anything, - I found some 2X12's under my deck that are surprisingly in good condition and I am going to make some of those adiirondack ski chairs with them - I figure it will be 20-30  "cuts" per chair? 

it will never work as well or have as much power as a gas trimme
Agree, but for my field the eGo weedeater totally rips! Battery run time is about an hour which is about as long as I care to run it anyway. Worth every penny.

Ryobi 18V set(drill/circular saw/saws-all)
I have the same. It's "good enough' for most normal tasks. Of course team yellow, blue, or red would be sexier to own but I just don't need that kind of power. My circular saw is gold though (5-ish year old Skilsaw Mag 77) because when I need to cut stuff, I usually have to cut a LOT of stuff.

Latest posts

Back