Home Improvement/Repair Questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KF:

Let's go through each stage of the wash cycle and see where it hiccups.  To the best of my kjnowledge it goes like this.

Start

Tub fills with water.  Water depth is based on selected load size (small, medium or large).  There is a level sensor that stops the water inflow when the proper level is reached.

When tub is filled the agitator starts moving and churns for the wash portion of the Cycle.

Water is drained out. 

Rinse fills tub again.

Rinse empties and tib spins until all water i out of the tub.

So when does your washer misbehave?

See below:

KF:

Let's go through each stage of the wash cycle and see where it hiccups.  To the best of my knowledge it goes like this.

Start  CHECK

Tub fills with water. CHECK  Water depth is based on selected load size (small, medium or large).  There is a level sensor that stops the water inflow when the proper level is reached.  CHECK

When tub is filled the agitator starts moving and churns for the wash portion of the Cycle.  CHECK

Water is drained out.  CHECK 

Rinse fills tub again.  CHECK

Rinse empties and tub spins until all water out of the tub.  This is where I believe the cycle stops. And it doesn't seem to matter which operating mode either (i.e. regular, quick wash, gentle, etc.). So then I turn to the OFF setting and back to "spin" which then starts the draining and eventually finishes. And it seems to be intermittent at this point (doesn't happen every single time....yet).

Last edited by a moderator:
I never understood why they still used these cheap ass window blocks anymore...this is in the kids BR shower.. not sure if coming from inside or outside.. arghhh......

IMG_1726.JPG

Got a fan in the bathroom?

This might just mean it's too humid in that area of the house. Those glass blocks are nothing like an insulated window.

You could be getting accumulation from the top of the window box that's dripping down on the interior.  My ceiling had paint bubbling up and blistering.  Turns out my vent fan was only run to the soffit and not vented to the exterior.  As soon as the weather cooled down and I turned the fan on, it would condense and run down the drywall.

the fart fans run anytime the lights are on, but we don't have any humidity here.. well today we have 20%...The 1/2 inch of water inside is what concerns me :(   I figured I would have to replace these windows eventually but don't want them to crack in January when it 2 degrees..

we replaced the window above our sliding glass door that cracked and that was $600 bucks...

It looks more like a splash than a leak at the bottom, so I would start by looking up and go from there.

yes the splash is just from a kid taking a shower this am, but if you look inside the block it is holding a decent amount of water inside the block (hasn't rained here in 3 weeks).. None of the other blocks above it have any condensation inside, my kids told me this lower block "has been like this all summer"  nice of them to let me know.......

That's a lot of water accumulation for that size of a brick.  Based on what I learned in arctic engineering, it might be possible for that much water to accumulate from indoor humidity flux, but only if the outdoor air is really really dry, like it is at 20 below zero.  Not like it is at Denver summer humidities.  I'd be looking for something leaking into it from above (??) or outside.

I think the seals have just gone to crap.. wife talked to some other people in the hood and several people have had to just replace the windows, were making calls and  guess well blow another $500 to $600 dollars...

I think the seals have just gone to crap.. wife talked to some other people in the hood and several people have had to just replace the windows, were making calls and  guess well blow another $500 to $600 dollars...
I'm also in the process of replacing an acrylic block window in our master bath.  Deposit has been paid, and we're waiting on them to come do the install.  Ours is about 3.5' x 3.5' and sits over our tub.  It's leaking through one of the seals in the bottom right corner during heavy, driving rains.  The window is roughly 15 years old, which is the age of the house.

I have an issue I'd like to get an opinion on from anyone with plumbing experience.  Recently, our pipes have started making a lot of noise, particularly after using our master bath shower.  You can hear them lightly vibrating off and on for about 10 minutes after showering, and it'll usually culminate with a big bang.  We also hear random, single bangs during the night when no water has been used.  My assumption is water hammer, but I was under the impression this only happens when running water is suddenly cut off.  I've tried draining all of the water out of the house, as recommended on a few DIY sites, but that didn't work.  Does anyone else have any ideas as to what may be causing this?

Likely expansion based, and not much you can do without opening the walls up and changing clamps/insulation to minimize it.  

- Do you think it's air trapped in the pipes somewhere?

- Or a small leak somewhere else?

- At my parents house, they were getting strange noises with the pipes out of nowhere. Turns out, some folding chairs were placed against the pipe and caused weird noised. So check that too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back