Home Improvement/Repair Questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with SW.  I hate mine.  Not being able to add close to a cycle sucks, and having to leave the door open constantly to prevent mildew sucks. 

sometimes its good to be able to not afford the latest and greatest thing.. I am sure someone will tell me that Samsung makes the best washer and dryer but I have nearly 20 year old Maytags that do the job pretty well..

KF:  Check the switch that senses if the top lid is open.  Our washer was doing something similar and that switch was stuck open so it didn't spin like it was supposed to.  It was ~$20 fix.  Try repairclinic.com.  10 years really isn't that old for washers/dryers IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd suggest looking into fixing it yourself.  Washers (and household appliances in general) aren't really all that complicated and you've got a background in controls.  It could simply be a switch like MA_PE says, or maybe the control board is going bad, or there's a bad contact in the timer or something.

I had a dryer that would randomly shut off, this went on for several years until at one point is just wouldn't start running at all.  Once I took it apart it was obvious the control board had failed as there was a charred resistor on it.  $65 later and an hour of my time saved the cost of a tech call or a new dryer.

You think someone that can't build their own workbench is going to be able to disassemble a washing machine?

You think someone that can't build their own workbench is going to be able to disassemble a washing machine?
I didn't say I couldn't build it. I said I didn't have the time/materials/tools to build it. If I can build a bridge girder complete with the single-failure proof overhead crane systems that employ frequency drive controls with dynamic braking resistor manipulation to handle spent uranium nuclear fuel, I think I can build a damn table with 4-point supports. It all comes down to opportunity cost. 

@MA_PE, @mudpuppy, thanks for the feedback. I will look into it but this is yet again one of those things where I just don't have the time. I've been on single parent duty the last month or so with a 2.5 year old. I'd probably need to take some vacation time (from one or all of my jobs) to really dig in to this. But then again, if it's just the lid indication switch, I probably have some of those in my inventory already. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
@MA_PE, @mudpuppy, thanks for the feedback. I will look into it but this is yet again one of those things where I just don't have the time. I've been on single parent duty the last month or so with a 2.5 year old. I'd probably need to take some vacation time (from one or all of my jobs) to really dig in to this. But then again, if it's just the lid indication switch, I probably have some of those in my inventory already. LOL
Easy.  Put the kin inside the washing machine tub while you take a look at it.  Fun for everybody!

Seriously, if the lid switch says the lid id open, then it won't spin.  Takes all of 2 seconds to see if the switch is opening/closing.  Good luck and I hope it's something simple.

Seriously, if the lid switch says the lid id open, then it won't spin.  Takes all of 2 seconds to see if the switch is opening/closing.  Good luck and I hope it's something simple.
So during the regular wash cycle, when I open the lid, it does stop. Which is dependent on the lid switch I assume. Once closed it continues washing. So I think that can be ruled out as the possible culprit. Are there volume level sensors? I wonder if it could attributed to something like that.

The drain could be partially clogged??

The drain cycle is a timed event, so without optical sensors, you might have a babies sock stuck in your hose??

Back