Home Improvement/Repair Questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd use copper tubing.  there's really no need for braided steel.
As would I if the house were being newly constructed.  As it stands now, this is above my drop ceiling in a finished basement where I need to route across pre-fab walls and such.  Not to mention the part where I expressed that I am no plumber so I have no desire to attempt any sort of soldering that isn't related to electrical circuits. :thumbs:   I also don't have the proper equipment to do bending, soldering, and joint assembly.  Trust me, the braided steel was a godsend after routing it last night.  And the tubing is only 1/4" compression so it wasn't difficult to manipulate.

Also, what do you take issue with regarding braided steel?

This type of copper.  No bending, soldering or joints involved.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FOXCJC?psc=1

Nothing against the braided steel I just expected it to be significantly more expensive than copper tubing (after looking a bit the price is comparable)..  Copper would use compression fittings so no soldering and it's relatively flexible as well.  Glad it worked out for you.  Ther are many ways to skin a cat.

Last edited by a moderator:
This type of copper.  No bending, soldering or joints involved.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FOXCJC?psc=1

Nothing against the braided steel I just expected it to be significantly more expensive than copper tubing (after looking a bit the price is comparable)..  Copper would use compression fittings so no soldering and it's relatively flexible as well.  Glad it worked out for you.  Ther are many ways to skin a cat.
Thanks for the suggestion.  I actually bought that kit first and returned it.  It is "bendable" but extremely difficult to route (again, I'm no plumber) for my particular application.  And I wasn't able to make any 90s with it as it would pinch.  So I would have had to make a point-to-point run with the copper and it wouldn't have looked the greatest interweaving with my duct work and such.  Plus the SS braid already came with 1/4" compression fittings so I didn't have to install any of those.  And the 20-ft SS braid I got from Lowe's was only $17.99, so cheaper than the copper....LOL.

Got the S.O.B. install completed last night around midnight.  Had to make another run to get a diamond hole saw to get through a small corner of my kitchen tile.  But I had a glass of ice water from the fridge before bed. :D   :thumbs:

Would this be a good purchase? "Delta Shopmaster table saw, great condition, very little use, $65"

Then again, maybe not because I do not yet have a decent work bench to put it on. And I've seen others like this that have their own full size support table. :dunno:

P1000745rsz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh...not a bad deal, but not a great one either. Reviews for it aren't great. It's half the price of the cheapest table saw at the Depot, but even the cheapest HD saw (Ryobi) has a stronger motor and it comes with the stand.

Probably perfect for a typical homeowner use

I had a cheap one, made by skill, 99 bucks I ripped a shit load of hardwood flooring with that saw.. I put hardwood floors in my entire house and it worked fine

It's always cheaper to just

Build one- but if you get the one from Amazon please click on the eb.com Amazon link )

Allow me to wave the bullshit flag...

img_4952.jpg

I figured we'd take yours, now that it's fixed!  I promise to record you.  Even have a GoPro you can wear.

If only it had a light!

Possibly. But I don't have a lot of the hardware which allow me to manipulate the raw materials. Nor do I have a vehicle equipped to carry said materials. :(
you can buy a lot of light for the $130 difference.

Got an older washer/dryer pair made by Amana. Purchased them new in 2005. The washer is starting to not finish its cycle. For instance, it never gets to the spin cycle so we'll open the door (top load) and find the drum completely full of water. If we manually set to off and then back to spin, it will drain like it's supposed to and continue on. 

Question is, is this something worthy of a repair or should I start looking for a replacement with it being 10+ years old. We've also noticed the clothes starting to smell a little funky lately too which I'm guessing could be attributed to various build-ups over time? Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Back