Home Improvement/Repair Questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least it was caught.  Last year I had the condensate drain pipe clog up completely, but the switch saved our ass.  Replaced all the PVC and it looked like it was filled with peanut butter.  No wonder my bleach cleanings didn't go through that easily.
Well, caught-ish.  I'm going to have to do paint/drywall repair in two small spots upstairs from the looks of it.  He ended up having to use the full size nitrogen bottle to clear the line out, the little CO2 cartridge they usually use wouldn't do it.  He said there was oil in the water and the refrigerant was low, so we know there is a leak in there somewhere too (which pisses me off, because it's basically been leaking since within a year of original installation).  They're coming back to do another dye pack, but at least the drain is clear and the refrigerant is topped.  He made a note that neither float switch worked, so they'll have to fix that too on their own dime.

TJ- Looking Good! (Is that a narrow wall to the left or just a weird angle photo?)

Supe- when our toilet exploded over the kitchen most of the water came down through a can light, I delayed fixing the ceiling right up until we moved and just before we listed the house for sale I put in one of those large rectangular fluorescent kitchen light (things) in its place to cover up all the damaged sheetrock- I never fixed the ceiling - but was just glad the home inspector for the buyers never figured out why we had can lights everywhere except over the sink / bar area!

Last edited by a moderator:
TJ- Looking Good! (Is that a narrow wall to the left or just a weird angle photo?)
i took a pano to try to show the whole room because the door location is funny. there's a builtin in the dining room on the other side of the wall on the left (so it pushes into the laundry), and there are nooks on either side that the built shelf extends back into in the back, and another right next to the door on the left. i painted my ledgers last night and put the shelves in this morning! WOO

Thankfully this isn't too bad.  About a foot long discolored/blistered area right where the wall meets the ceiling, and then about a 3" circumference of the same right around the perimeter of the smoke alarm.  I guess I may as well use it as an opportunity to fix the terrible drywall job in that hallway while I'm at it.  Bad tape job and nail pops everywhere.

Not really home improvement, but I hung some new artwork today.  It's an artist name Pawel Kuczynski.

35972210_10216894288807284_1949099151547432960_n.jpg

36087747_10216894288887286_4204460721481711616_n.jpg

& the wife didn't text you 1000 times asking where tools are and stuff?  :thumbs:

So the last thing I need to do for the basement - I had rough framed out this storage area for interior French doors- only problem is I cant get the pre hung "unit" @CSB down the stairs into the basement?  One thing I have always struggled with is making the doors level even using the pre hung version - Not sure if I should buy a pre hung unit and take it apart and then put it back together again once I carry it in the basement or just try and piece it together?

Wife said no to bi-fold doors - may even just look at barn doors, expensive but may make life easier for me?

You can buy the sliding barn door hardware kit, then just screw and stain some 2x6's together to make the door.

& the wife didn't text you 1000 times asking where tools are and stuff?  :thumbs:
She did not. :woot: You have to use acrylic grout with vinyl tile because it is more flexible.  It comes pre-mixed which makes it a lot easier and all the stuff was out because I had already done a few spots.

Even if she had, I wouldn't be complaining...I wasn't looking forward to grouting that much tile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw some water dripping from the overflow on my water softener. I opened the brine tank and found it completely full of water. After draining it, I figured out the bypass valve was leaking and had flooded the tank. I have a part on order and will be replacing the entire valve this weekend since internet research tells me replacing the O-rings won't cut it. It's a cheap plastic valve; I wish there was an option to upgrade it to something more sturdy.

Saw some water dripping from the overflow on my water softener. I opened the brine tank and found it completely full of water. After draining it, I figured out the bypass valve was leaking and had flooded the tank. I have a part on order and will be replacing the entire valve this weekend since internet research tells me replacing the O-rings won't cut it. It's a cheap plastic valve; I wish there was an option to upgrade it to something more sturdy.
Funny, my water softener has a similar leak right now.

F'in A.  So we had a nasty brief storm Saturday afternoon.  Sure enough, ripped down one of our shutters and pulled three more huge pieces of eaves/fascia trim off the house.  This is the third time that shit's come down.  Of course, the one guy who called me back did the "oh, we need to fix it right, replace fascia boards, etc. etc. we're super expensive because we overpay our workers, blah blah".  Yeah dude, all I want is someone who will charge me $200 to crawl up there and use screws and washers instead of f*cking 1" finish nails.  This shit isn't rocket science...

Back