Home Improvement/Repair Questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone use those Shur-Line edging attachments for painting - the ones that you load the pain on the pad and use it up against trim/molding?  

Contemplating trying to use one on an extension pole to avoid renting scaffolding/extension ladders for my foyer.

Anyone use those Shur-Line edging attachments for painting - the ones that you load the pain on the pad and use it up against trim/molding?  

Contemplating trying to use one on an extension pole to avoid renting scaffolding/extension ladders for my foyer.
I have. It's nearly impossible to keep paint off the sides of it.  You're much better off just getting the ladder and using a brush, IMO. Ladder rental is cheap, but owning one isn't too expensive either, really and they come in pretty handy for a lot of other things, IME.  I got a good deal on a 24' Keller fiberglass extension ladder at Costco.  It was years ago, but the price was good. I also got one of those Warner versions of the Little Giant. That thing is truly awesome for its versatility.  It's a 16 footer but Costco sells a couple varieties in 22'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried all those types and none of them really work, I've always just used a Purdy brush and cut the line in by hand

Home Depot has pretty reasonable rates on scaffolding rental, but picking it up in the sibling it is kind of a pain in the ass will definitely want a helper

Ugh, that sucks.  My 250# ass definitely doesn't need to be 20' in the air on a ladder.   And I don't think the HD scaffolds go over 10 or 12 feet.

619f20abee39001d8633dbfb78f256cd.png

You can see my sentiments about the scaffolding

I think our living room is right at 18' or something I don't remember exactly I bet now that everything in our living room is a darker color the wife is nagging me to rent the scaffolding again to replace the ceiling fan

I honestly did not think I would use the safety railing, but once I was up there I was glad to have it

it does look good. How was the pulling out the old wood flooring?
One of the worst things I've had to do around the house.  I think the biggest problem was that the parquet was glued to the old linoleum.  If it was just parquet, the machine would make pretty quick work out of it since it was individual squares.  If it was just linoleum, the machine would easily peel up long strips at a time.  With the two glued together they worked to hold everything together so it made it twice as hard.

619f20abee39001d8633dbfb78f256cd.png

You can see my sentiments about the scaffolding

I think our living room is right at 18' or something I don't remember exactly I bet now that everything in our living room is a darker color the wife is nagging me to rent the scaffolding again to replace the ceiling fan
Assuming you're roughly 6', that looks about right for an HD rental.

I may just say f-it and go buy one of those Werner ladders.  21' with extensions (the Little Giant type) for $120 at lowes, and the split height adjustment would let me use it ont he stairs where I need to fix drywall waves and pops.

I told myself anything above that height I would just suck it up and pay someone to do

I'm OK with heights, but had the misfortune of climbing up to the top of a WAY underrated extension ladder once to the eaves of my roof.  Still brings back horrible memories.  I may as well have been on a ladder made of rubber bands.

After I bought one (after years of using tape), I swear by my Shur-Line edger.  I didn't use any tape for the last 3 or 4 rooms I've painted.

After I bought one (after years of using tape), I swear by my Shur-Line edger.  I didn't use any tape for the last 3 or 4 rooms I've painted.
Any tricks to it?  Of course I could give it a try, and if I f*ck it up, I'll be up there on a ladder anyways...

Yep.  12' scaffold, so fall protection would be 6' shock cord, plus 3 1/2' deceleration distance, plus 6' worker...

Good news, RG!  You'll only be paralyzed from the waist down.

Yep.  12' scaffold, so fall protection would be 6' shock cord, plus 3 1/2' deceleration distance, plus 6' worker...

Good news, RG!  You'll only be paralyzed from the waist down.
OSHA only cares that you follow their regulations or pay the fine if you don't.  No one ever said they were logical.

Any tricks to it?  Of course I could give it a try, and if I f*ck it up, I'll be up there on a ladder anyways...
I haven't used it attached to an extension pole, but I've been successful by just not getting paint on the wheels (duh).  I often use a shallow paint roller pan with not a sh*t ton of paint in it.  Lower the face of the pad onto the paint and swirl, dab, or bounce it gently to get paint on the entire pad surface.  Once you have paint, as long as you don't smash the pad against the wall too hard, you should get a clean line and keep the edges and wheels of the edger clean.

When I was a younger engineer, I was brought in to a construction site to do a safety inspection after an electrician had died. He was shocked while working on wiring a light fixture, but he didn't die from electrocution, he died from the fall.  He was in a small office with maybe 9 foot ceilings, working on a step ladder, and went down in a funny way with his head up against the wall. Broke his neck.  

Of course I follow none of those rules working on stuff in my home.....

Back