Home Improvement/Repair Questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bathroom is "L" shaped and ~10x12.  The "L" is a hallway that leads to a door that connects to the MBR.  We never use that door and are going to create a closet for the MBR and a second linen closet in the bathroom out of the hall.  The estimate was $25k not $28k without fixtures.  Like i said I got two other estimates for $20k without any electrical work or kitchen counter /backsplash replacements. 

It's all of the fixtures that get you; it adds up...You think that you're picking the least expensive faucet that you can live with, then you go look up the matching tub or tub/shower combo and the price is double what it for the same thing in another line.  They do it on purpose.

Plus the custom shower pan. Plus the tile. Plus the new granite counter top. Plus the new sinks. Plus the drywall and paint repairs from where you ripped all of the old stuff out...Plus....

I'm currently without a laundry room but I'm super excited about it! I'll share the "before" photo in a moment :) my cost is going to be about 4000 with materials and labor, including relocating all of the electrical, plumbing, drywall, paint, new flooring, trim, new access hatch to previously non accessible attic space, and built in storage on the back wall.

edit: jk. it's 4000 for labor and materials for the laundry room, blocking and ceiling fan install in the guest room, and powerwash of my garage and trim replacement/painted because that's all just about powder and not structural anymore haha. and building a real access door for my crawlspace because it just had random boards nailed in before.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm currently without a laundry room but I'm super excited about it! I'll share the "before" photo in a moment :) my cost is going to be about 4000 with materials and labor, including relocating all of the electrical, plumbing, drywall, paint, new flooring, trim, new access hatch to previously non accessible attic space, and built in storage on the back wall.

edit: jk. it's 4000 for labor and materials for the laundry room, blocking and ceiling fan install in the guest room, and powerwash of my garage and trim replacement/painted because that's all just about powder and not structural anymore haha. and building a real access door for my crawlspace because it just had random boards nailed in before.
Ya but how do the spiders feel about this renovation? :dunno:  LOL Sounds like it will turn out looking quite the improvement. :thumbs:

Speaking of laundry rooms. I also decided to try my hand at hanging cabinets for the first time (neighbor was getting rid of them, so they were free). Not very difficult but not super easy either when trying to line everything up and square it all. Turned out pretty nice in the end. And will free up some space in the adjoining closet. Some before and after photos below.

20180602_185533.jpg

20180602_180403 (1024x576).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really a home improvement (and I rent, don't own), but, my fiance and I rearranged our bedroom last night in an effort to allow our cat back into our bedroom at night.

Basically, the room's a rectangle, with one shorter wall having a higher window run most of the length of it. We used to have our bed against that wall, but our cat was climbing up the headboard and messing with the shades at night when we were trying to sleep. We ultimately just locked him out of the bedroom, but that came with a host of other problems that also disrupted our sleep and caused more work for us. Now, we've move the bed to one of the longer walls. It actually opens up the room a lot, and though we've only spent one night with it in its current configuration, I think I might like it a lot more. It's fun to see a space configured completely differently after living with it in the same configuration for years (in our case, three). After we rearranged the bedroom, we were sitting in the living room , looking around to see if there was anything different we could really do there. There wasn't much we could do there, but it's okay, I like our living room set up how it is.

And in the first run last night, the kitty tried to jump up on the window ledge twice, but didn't make it either time. We think it's probably too narrow and too high for him (primarily too high). This would be an excellent development in the kitty-parent relationship.

This post sounds like it should actually be in the pet thread, haha.

obviously with your extra room in the bedroom, you need to build a super cool cat tree to assist your cat in approaching desired window sitting altitude.

^ please post videos of said kitty jump attempts. For science. :D
Aw, how I wish I had a video of it! But it was with the lights off after we went to bed, and I didn't have my glasses on. I did hear both attempts! It sounded like the front paws barely made it up to the ledge, but then he crashed to the ground. Apparently two tries was enough, with that approach anyway.

obviously with your extra room in the bedroom, you need to build a super cool cat tree to assist your cat in approaching desired window sitting altitude.
No. We want our sleep.

Got the vinyl tile to redo the entryway/hallway/kitchen.  Right now, the whole thing is parquet which looks terrible, but it has actually started popping up in the kitchen where the dogs' water bowl is.  Youtube videos reveal that removing the parquet could be okay or it could be a giant PITA.  Hopefully a hand scraper will work, if not, you can rent electric floor scrapers that look like they would make pretty quick work of it.  Wife leaves Wednesday to work in Dallas for a week so the plan is to have it done by the time she gets back.  This is the stuff I got:

656380827814_04618648.jpg

ive never understood wood floors in the kitchen - our last house had them and it was a constant fight for all the water drips and spills that happen when you mix a sink , dishwasher, etc with wood...

here is my pond, im thinking about just calling in a sprinkler guy, have dug up a good bit of the yard with no trace of the leak yet...

IMG_1486.JPG

Shut the system off for a few days and let the "pond" dry up.  Borrow an IR camera from your office (assuming they have one) and turn the system on with cold water.  The leak should cool the soil locally and show up on the IR image as a cold spot.

You want pictures?  You got pictures.  Ok, so, below is the BEFORE picture.  Try not to get confused as the AFTER picture comes second.  This is what was left of the beam and sill joist when I removed the deck's ledger board.  What remains is what I couldn't remove by poking it with my finger.  I didn't forcibly dig anything out.

IMG_1843.JPG

If I ever hear of any one of you installing a deck using a ledger board and you DON'T use flashing or any other approved water barrier, I will personally drive my ass to your place of residence and beat yours.  The outward-facing half of the 4x4 beam is toast.  The half facing the interior didn't look that bad.   The 2x10 on top of that is GONE.  We were probably a very short time away from stepping through the floor at the back door.

Now, again, do not be confused.  What follows is the AFTER picture.

IMG_1846.JPG

Believe it or not, the floor doesn't bounce any more.  Now onto installation of sheathing, asphalt paper, new tile shingles, paint, and steps.  Ugh.  :suicide:

I recently had a sliding glass door replaced that led to a small deck.  Fortunately when they built the deck they installed a small piece of aluminum flashing.  the contractor replacing the door said the flashing is what saved the whole sill below the slider from requiring replacement.

Good work.  The heck with the steps.  Kids like to jump.

Anybody use one of those porcelain shower pans in lieu of doing a cement pan/tiled floor?  Looking at replacing the soaker tub with a big walk-in shower, and it sure seems like one of those would save a lot of headache and labor costs, not to mention I like the look of them better than a big tile "curb".

Back