Holy Crap! New Job/Promotion/Bonus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeb6294

Reaction score
I've been knocking on every bit of wood I can find the last few days. Looks like I'm taking a new position, still with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, but this one has me relocating back to Cincinnati with a jump to a GS-12 and a vicinity pay increase that will bump me up over $12k a year. On top of all that they just did our performance appraisals for last year and I'm getting an $850 award.

For those that don't know the situation I worked for a private A/E firm in Cincinnati before being laid off about a year and a half ago. I worked for the USACE out of college so I took an Engineering Tech position with them in Louisville to get my foot back in the door...happy to be employed but left a wife and two kids in Cincinnati.

Some time ago I put in for a deployable position based out of Wright-Pat AFB outside Dayton. I had forgotten all about it until a couple weeks ago when I got a call about that position and a similar position in Pittsburgh. I sent an email asking for some more info about the Dayton job and got a response that their intention was to have me work out of Wright-Pat but my duty station would be Cincinnati. It's a deployable position which means I sign up for a four year slot and for two years in that slot I will be deployed, usually 6 months at a time (6mo gone, 6mo home, etc), sometimes a year. Until recently that meant Iraq or Afghanistan but with recent events it could be Haiti as well. The experience is great and it does wonders for your future here...the ridiculous amount of $$$ you make doesn't hurt either.

Right now, I can't imagine how this could get much better...I keep worrying that one of these days I'm going to be hit by a truck on the way to my car after work.

I've been knocking on every bit of wood I can find the last few days. Looks like I'm taking a new position, still with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, but this one has me relocating back to Cincinnati with a jump to a GS-12 and a vicinity pay increase that will bump me up over $12k a year. On top of all that they just did our performance appraisals for last year and I'm getting an $850 award.
For those that don't know the situation I worked for a private A/E firm in Cincinnati before being laid off about a year and a half ago. I worked for the USACE out of college so I took an Engineering Tech position with them in Louisville to get my foot back in the door...happy to be employed but left a wife and two kids in Cincinnati.

Some time ago I put in for a deployable position based out of Wright-Pat AFB outside Dayton. I had forgotten all about it until a couple weeks ago when I got a call about that position and a similar position in Pittsburgh. I sent an email asking for some more info about the Dayton job and got a response that their intention was to have me work out of Wright-Pat but my duty station would be Cincinnati. It's a deployable position which means I sign up for a four year slot and for two years in that slot I will be deployed, usually 6 months at a time (6mo gone, 6mo home, etc), sometimes a year. Until recently that meant Iraq or Afghanistan but with recent events it could be Haiti as well. The experience is great and it does wonders for your future here...the ridiculous amount of $$$ you make doesn't hurt either.

Right now, I can't imagine how this could get much better...I keep worrying that one of these days I'm going to be hit by a truck on the way to my car after work.
Congrats! I was stationed at WPAFB for a few years... Dayton and Cinci are pretty ok places to be. Thats alot coming from a Michigander! Good luck with the new position with the Corps.

Great to hear this worked out for you, and in a better way than you had initially hoped for. Congratulations!

Congrats! I'd be curious to hear how the ET life is in the CoE... if you're even in DC, let me know and I'll buy you as many beers as you can drink while still talk.

Well apparently the wife was snooping around on here and found out about my $850 award (I really should think about changing my password). I was thinking about taking a chunk of it and taking her to The Precinct in Cincinnati to celebrate the new job and such. It's a Jeff Ruby steak place where meat runs from about $40 and up, but it is defintely worth it (never been there but we did go to one of his other restaurants and it was excellent). Personally I was thinking about the $72 filet and lobster tail, delicious and it would be Atkins friendly. She kind of ruined the suprise though. Of course if we're going to be responsible, we really should use the money to pay a chunk of the first half of our property taxes. Decisions, decisions....

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations!!! That does sound like good news! I actually did some site work on WPAFB a couple of years ago. If I can remember where it is I may have you take a picture of the site for me.

You can always pay property taxes. How often do you get to reward yourself with a mouthwatering piece of meat and a lobster tail the size of your forearm?

congrats jeb. I hope you and the mrs. enjoy diinner. You deserve a break.

Awesome news, jeb! I have two words for you, in regards to the ca$h award:

EAT MEAT.

Back