High-Speed Photography

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilheldp_PE

PE, LEED AP, SPAM KING
Reaction score
Since I obviously needed another expensive hobby, I have taken up high-speed photography (or slow motion photography, if you prefer).  I just received my Kickstarted Chronos 1.4 camera today and played with it a little.  This thing can do 1,057 frames per second (fps) at 1280x1024 resolution up to 37,500 fps at 320 x 96.  The latter is *almost* fast enough to see bullets in flight, but the resolution is kinda crappy.  Here is my obligatory water droplet video.  I have lots of other things I want to video, but I'm also looking for suggestions.

Sneeze.

Isn't having more powerful lighting (or a synced strobe) a big part of getting better resolution at extreme high speeds?

Light is definitely a concern.  Each time you double the frame rate, or go down 2 F-stops (for better depth of field), or halve shutter speed (to reduce image blur) you halve the amount of light reaching the sensor.  I have a 150 watt LED continuous studio light that produces roughly half of bright sunlight.  If that isn't enough, I have my eye on some cheaper 100 watt LED light modules that I can get a few of and run off one power supply.  But the general consensus is to shoot outside in bright sunlight for best results at high speeds.  

For the above video, I had the 150 watt light about 2 feet to the left of the glass.  It was shot at f1.2 (the best my lens can do), so I definitely could have made the image brighter with the same amount of light.

I have to admit I find that stuff pretty cool.  That would be fun to play with!  

The classic "enormous dog drooling while running happily toward its owner"

How about a water/dry ice or mentos/diet coke combo?

How about a mentos/diet coke combo?
We all know what happens next.

giphy.gif

Back