Digital Cameras

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that is a great shot. nice!

I saw the blue angels about a million years ago when I was a kid. They were fltying F-4J phantoms I believe (yep I'm old).

Ribbit. (Shot with the XSi)

Last edited by a moderator:
Went for a walk with Junior while MIAF was at work. She decided to stand on the caboose in the center of town, and it was a bit higher than she'd anticipated!

1) what a cute little kid.

2) those are some nice pictures!

The new camera should take nicer ones! The lens will be the difference, as the 2.8 aperture will turn out some very nice bokeh.

Camera was shipped yesterday, scheduled to be delivered tomorrow! :bananapowerslide:

Good thing, too, since I'll need something to take my mind off being violated by the doctor during my physical.

My Gary Fong Lightsphere showed up yesterday. It is, for all intensive purposes, a $50 potato salad container with a hole in the bottom. I must say though, it works as advertised. The 580EXii flash is pretty harsh, even coming off a bounce card. With the Lightsphere, I shot in pitch black, in crappy incandescent light, didn't matter - exposures and skin tones came out perfect nearly every time, and shadows behind the subject were virtually nonexistent. In checking the histograms for each picture, the curve was in the center far more consistently than without a flash, or with a flash and no diffuser. This thing's going to be great for portraits. The only downer is that you lose a lot of light with it, so you burn through batteries pretty quick by having to up the flash intensity.

LOL!

Intents and purposes.

I mean, intense porpoises.

Got the camera and all accessories yesterday.

It weighs a TON with the lens on it. Probably close to double what the XSi weighs with an EF-S lens.

Eyepiece is loose. Online searching reveals they all come like that. It has two little tabs that lock on to keep it from coming off, but just more play than you'd expect from something in that price range.

Autofocus is lightning quick with the EF lens. Threw the cheapie lens on, and it had trouble focusing in low light. May just not like working with that lens under those conditions, but will do some investigating.

Features and customization of settings/preferences is astounding. This thing is packed.

Ergonomics are pretty good. Takes some getting used to on a few buttons, and you're more reliant on your left hand vs. the lower models where it's almost entirely with the right.

Haven't uploaded any pics from the card yet. Hoping to play around with it tonight and some this weekend to see what it can do, and to make sure it doesn't have the soft focus issues some people complain about.

Spoiled by the fact that a 32 GB compact flash card that's fast enough to use with 7D at the full FPS cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $300!

Been playing with the 7D quite a bit lately. In terms of image quality, it's spectacular.

The autofocus, while praised very heavily, is hit or miss. The full 19 point mode is useless, as it focuses only on the closest thing. The zone isn't much better. I've lost quite a few shots as "keepers" because they were very slightly out of focus. Basically, any portraiture, etc, HAS to be done with a spot focus and a smaller aperture to keep the subject in focus. Wide open at 2.8 with even some of the best glass Canon makes is sketchy at best.

When you DO nail that focus though... wow. Also got to play with some of the wireless flash functions last night as well. A little pre-flash to trigger it and voila! Works like a charm. Picture volume is starting to get up there though. Contemplating a SmugMug Pro account soon for unlimited file storage, and the ability to order prints. When I priced out photo printers and the associated ink costs, you're money ahead by just ordering through a lab. I grabbed a few 8x10's from Adorama at $1.25 each.

Been playing with the 7D quite a bit lately. In terms of image quality, it's spectacular.
The autofocus, while praised very heavily, is hit or miss. The full 19 point mode is useless, as it focuses only on the closest thing. The zone isn't much better. I've lost quite a few shots as "keepers" because they were very slightly out of focus. Basically, any portraiture, etc, HAS to be done with a spot focus and a smaller aperture to keep the subject in focus. Wide open at 2.8 with even some of the best glass Canon makes is sketchy at best.

When you DO nail that focus though... wow. Also got to play with some of the wireless flash functions last night as well. A little pre-flash to trigger it and voila! Works like a charm. Picture volume is starting to get up there though. Contemplating a SmugMug Pro account soon for unlimited file storage, and the ability to order prints. When I priced out photo printers and the associated ink costs, you're money ahead by just ordering through a lab. I grabbed a few 8x10's from Adorama at $1.25 each.
I have a SmugMug account (not Pro) that I've been pretty happy with. You can get a 3rd party uploader that greatly simplifies uploading photos.

I have a SmugMug account (not Pro) that I've been pretty happy with. You can get a 3rd party uploader that greatly simplifies uploading photos.

Any suggestions for the uploader?

Any suggestions for the uploader?
Send to SmugMug by Omar Shahine

Back