Digital Cameras

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet, thanks! The POTN forums has a discount code that I think is 20% off, so I'll probably pull the trigger.

Hi all,

Apparently we have some talented photographers in the group! However, I am not in that group and need some help picking out the right camera. I am looking for point and shoot that balances all the important things including: kids and pets, low light, fill flash in the daylight. When I press the button, I expect the camera to take the photo NOW, or you miss the important moment with kids especially! Also, I am an avid horseback rider, we pack into the mountains and all that jazz, so it has to be durable and take a lickin' and take a good photo when my horse isn't quite still. I had a Kodak EasyShare DX7440 that I absolutely loved until my husband spilled beer on it so now the shutter is stuck open!! I am not impressed by MP's, most of my photos stick to 4x6 or 5x7 size. The other items above are way more important! Also, must be easy to use! What would you recommend?

Below is the black friday list at Best Buy for this year.... Anything I should take note of? THANKS!!

Canon EOS Rebel T2i 18 MegaPixel D-SLR Camera w/18-55mm IS Lens $799.99

Canon EOS Rebel T2i 18MP D-SLR Camera w/18-55mm IS Lens, 55-250mm IS Telephoto Lens, SanDisk 8GB SDHC, Bag $999.96

Canon PowerShot SD1400IS 14.0 MegaPixel 4x Optical Zoom Digital Camera $149.99

Canon PowerShot SD1400IS 14.0 MP 4x Optical Digital Camera w/Rechargeable Battery, SanDisk 4GB SDHC Card, Bag $179.96

Canon PowerShot SX130IS 12.0 MegaPixel 12x Optical Zoom Digital Camera $179.99

Canon PowerShot SX130IS 12.0MP 12x Optical Zoom Digital Camera w/Mini Tripod, SanDisk 4GB SDHC Card, Bag $199.96

Insignia AA 10MP 2.7" LCD 3x Optical Zoom Digital Camera $59.99 *

Nikon Coolpix P100 10.0 MegaPixel 26 Optical Zoom Digital Camera $349.99

Nikon Coolpix P100 10.0MP 26x Optical Digital Camera w/Rechargeable Battery, SanDisk 8GB SDHC Card, Bag $399.96

Nikon Coolpix S4000 12.0 MegaPixel 4x Optical Zoom Digital Camera $129.99

Nikon Coolpix S4000 12.0MP 4x Optical Zoom Digital Camera w/Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery, SanDisk 4GB SDHC Card, Bag $159.96

Nikon Coolpix S70 12.0 MegaPixel 5x Optical Zoom Digital Camera $169.99

Nikon Coolpix S70 12.0MP 5x Optical Zoom Digital Camera w/Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery, SanDisk 4GB SDHC Card, Bag $199.96

Nikon D3000DX 10.0 MegaPixel D-SLR Camera w/18-55mm VR Lens, Camera Bag $499.98

Nikon D3000DX 10.0MP D-SLR w/18-55mm Lens, 55-200mm Telephoto Lens, SanDisk 8GB SDHC Card, 54" Tripod, Bag $629.95

Samsung TL105 12.0 MegaPixel 4x Optical Zoom Digital Camera $89.99

Samsung TL105 12.0 MegaPixel 4x Optical Zoom Digital Camera w/SanDisk 4GB SDHC Card, Camera Bag $99.97

Sony Cyber-Shot W310 12.0 MegaPixel 4x Optical Zoom Digital Camera $99.99

Sony Cyber-shot W310 12.0 MegaPixel 4x Optical Zoom Digital Camera w/SanDisk 4GB SDHC Card, Camera Bag $119.97

If you are truely set on a point and shoot then these ones can be scratched off the list as they are DSLR's and not point and shoots.

Canon EOS Rebel T2i 18 MegaPixel D-SLR Camera w/18-55mm IS Lens $799.99 Canon EOS Rebel T2i 18MP D-SLR Camera w/18-55mm IS Lens, 55-250mm IS Telephoto Lens, SanDisk 8GB SDHC, Bag $999.96

Canon PowerShot SD1400IS 14.0 MegaPixel 4x Optical Zoom Digital Camera $149.99

Canon PowerShot SD1400IS 14.0 MP 4x Optical Digital Camera w/Rechargeable Battery, SanDisk 4GB SDHC Card, Bag $179.96

Canon PowerShot SX130IS 12.0 MegaPixel 12x Optical Zoom Digital Camera $179.99

Canon PowerShot SX130IS 12.0MP 12x Optical Zoom Digital Camera w/Mini Tripod, SanDisk 4GB SDHC Card, Bag $199.96

Insignia AA 10MP 2.7" LCD 3x Optical Zoom Digital Camera $59.99 *

Nikon Coolpix P100 10.0 MegaPixel 26 Optical Zoom Digital Camera $349.99

Nikon Coolpix P100 10.0MP 26x Optical Digital Camera w/Rechargeable Battery, SanDisk 8GB SDHC Card, Bag $399.96

Nikon Coolpix S4000 12.0 MegaPixel 4x Optical Zoom Digital Camera $129.99

Nikon Coolpix S4000 12.0MP 4x Optical Zoom Digital Camera w/Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery, SanDisk 4GB SDHC Card, Bag $159.96

Nikon Coolpix S70 12.0 MegaPixel 5x Optical Zoom Digital Camera $169.99

Nikon Coolpix S70 12.0MP 5x Optical Zoom Digital Camera w/Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery, SanDisk 4GB SDHC Card, Bag $199.96

Nikon D3000DX 10.0 MegaPixel D-SLR Camera w/18-55mm VR Lens, Camera Bag $499.98

Nikon D3000DX 10.0MP D-SLR w/18-55mm Lens, 55-200mm Telephoto Lens, SanDisk 8GB SDHC Card, 54" Tripod, Bag $629.95

Samsung TL105 12.0 MegaPixel 4x Optical Zoom Digital Camera $89.99

Samsung TL105 12.0 MegaPixel 4x Optical Zoom Digital Camera w/SanDisk 4GB SDHC Card, Camera Bag $99.97

Sony Cyber-Shot W310 12.0 MegaPixel 4x Optical Zoom Digital Camera $99.99

Sony Cyber-shot W310 12.0 MegaPixel 4x Optical Zoom Digital Camera w/SanDisk 4GB SDHC Card, Camera Bag $119.97
DSLR's will give you the most flexibility and with a little getting used to can produce the best results. They will likely give you the best opportunity to get good pictures of moving objects. The major drawbacks of DSLR's is their size and learning curve (although they have automatic shooting modes). I have a Canon XSi DSLR and love it.

I also have an old Canon PowerShot SD400. That is the camera I carry just about everywhere with me, it's pocket sized and takes decent pictures. My wife has the SD1000. Same basic camera only a few years newer and with higher MP and a few more options (like more ISO speeds). These cameras are great for taking places when you want to be able to keep the camera in your pocket, but they don't take pictures anywhere near as nice as my DSLR.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't checked this thread in a long time. Nice pictures Supe! Awesome Blue Angels shot, roadwreck! I've been itching to get a good camera for myself for quite a while now, but finances have not been working out. I bought my wife a Rebel XSi two Christmases ago, and she is hardly using the thing, so I think I will just "borrow" it and start learning my way around it.

If you are truely set on a point and shoot then these ones can be scratched off the list as they are DSLR's and not point and shoots.
DSLR's will give you the most flexibility and with a little getting used to can produce the best results. They will likely give you the best opportunity to get good pictures of moving objects. The major drawbacks of DSLR's is their size and learning curve (although they have automatic shooting modes). I have a Canon XSi DSLR and love it.

I also have an old Canon PowerShot SD400. That is the camera I carry just about everywhere with me, it's pocket sized and takes decent pictures. My wife has the SD1000. Same basic camera only a few years newer and with higher MP and a few more options (like more ISO speeds). These cameras are great for taking places when you want to be able to keep the camera in your pocket, but they don't take pictures anywhere near as nice as my DSLR.
Thanks, I don't think I'm ready for the commitment of a DSLR, I just want something easy to use that takes fabulous photos. I find myself using the "action" or "sports" mode of a camera as a default as it blurs the least. My most important goal is to capture the moment. Many of my friends and family have cameras that delay just a bit when you take the photos, so they almost never capture the moment they intended to. If I could find a camera equal to my Kodak DX7440 i woul be very happy, and it was just 4 MP. It took great photos in every situation, the attached photos are both on auto setting taken on horseback.

I've seen a lot of good reviews on the Cannon Powershot S95 and the Nikon Coolpix S8100 (for photos, but bad reviews on video, which I don't care about)

Where is the best place to ask questions on specific camera models? Best Buy? Online?

THANKS!

100_1357_small.JPG

100_1317_small.JPG

good thread.

Wifey wants a new camera for xmas, but she wants point-and-shoot with SLR (or is it DSLR?) quality.

I've read enough reviews to know the "dont pay for super high MP" rule. She has a 3.2MP now which is on its way out. I am looking for something that is between a compact point and shoot and a SLR. THe ful body cameras seem to be the ideal choice, but which to go with??

I like the reviews of the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20, I just can't find anyone that is selling it for the 279.99 MSRP listed on CNET. I will check out the links on the first page of this thread though, maybe some better ideas there.

good thread.
Wifey wants a new camera for xmas, but she wants point-and-shoot with SLR (or is it DSLR?) quality.

I've read enough reviews to know the "dont pay for super high MP" rule. She has a 3.2MP now which is on its way out. I am looking for something that is between a compact point and shoot and a SLR. THe ful body cameras seem to be the ideal choice, but which to go with??

I like the reviews of the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20, I just can't find anyone that is selling it for the 279.99 MSRP listed on CNET. I will check out the links on the first page of this thread though, maybe some better ideas there.
I use something similar to that Sony at work (don't know the model number), and it takes great macro (close-up) shots. It seems to be pretty pedestrian at everything else, though. I would probably steer clear of any full body camera that doesn't have interchangeable lenses. The larger body size usually doesn't translate into better pictures. They sometimes have better optical zooms than point-and-shoots, but it isn't worth the trade-off in portability.

My main complaint about all of the point-and-shoot cameras I have owned is their performance at night. I don't think I ever got a shot at night that was worth a damn with a PAS camera. My DSLR is a champ, though, especially with a tripod and a long shutter. Plus, the quality of your photos is directly related to how much you want to spend on lenses.

To answer knelli's question, definitely buy online, but from a reputable dealer (Amazon, B&H, Crutchfield, etc.). There are a lot of fly-by-night places that have unbelievable deals on cameras, but a lot of them are selling the cameras at a loss and put the hard sell on you to buy an accessory kit at a substantial markup. If you wisely decline to buy the kit, they may or may not ship your camera. This scam is run A LOT...especially with cameras.

knelli, go to dpreview.com for ideas. The Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS just got a gold award, and would probably be a nice, compact point and shoot, and the Canon PowerShot S90 got a silver award a while back, and was the one I wanted to get because it seems like it would have more options in a point and shoot - it's basically Canon's G11 in a smaller body and different lens.

The S95 is a great P&S with an almost cult following.

First, thank you to all who have contributed to this topic. We have been thinking of upgrading from the P&S and go the DSLR way. The biggest reason is that we want to capture all the special moments with our little one and P&S has let us down a lot of times to say the least.

We are no pros when it comes to photography so there will be a learning curve but I believe that we are ready to invest that time if the results are worth it.

I am leaning towards T1i (500D) with 55-250 lens. I could go with XSi (450D) but the price difference isn't that much. We have a Sony camcorder for our video needs so the video capability on T1is isn't the reason for my inclination towards T1i. B&H is offering T1i with 55-250 lens for $800. Does this sound right or I should consider waiting? Should I get XSi instead? Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

I would suggest getting the T2i if you can spend the money. In terms of all out image quality, it's nearly on par with the much more expensive 7D, because they share the same sensor (the 7D has two of them). You would be hard pressed to ever need to upgrade your DSLR at that point unless you wanted to start getting into the pro/semi-pro models. If it's down to the XSi vs. T1i, if you really don't need video, all that's really left to decide is whether the difference in megapixels is worth the price difference.

Are you planning on shooting much at close distances/indoors? If so, 50mm on the low end may may not be wide enough to get the shots you want (consider that on a 1.6 crop body camera, which is anything other than the 5D and some of the 1 series, your actual zoom is 75mm). In that case, I would try to spring for the kit with both the 18-55 and 50-250, or to go with the kit lens that's a bit better all-around, the 28-135.

Also, be aware that the XSi has very poor ISO performance at 1600. On many indoor shots with poor lighting (which is way more often than you'd imagine), the T2i will have much better ISO performance at 1600 and up, especially with the lenses you're looking at getting. My 24-70 f/2.8L lens used indoors is a much "faster" lens (smaller numerically = more light at a given shutter speed), and I'm frequently shooting in the 1600-3200 ISO range unless I'm using my off camera flash (all the on camera flashes tend to be harsh and cast some bad shadows without a light modifier or dropping it's exposure from the menus).

Thanks for the detailed response Supe. I looked at Nikon D90 with 18-105 kit. It is a little expensive but seems to be worth the money especially since I won't be upgrading for a few years. T2i is Canon's response to D90 with 1080 video and higher MP's. However, it comes down to the same old debate between Nikon or Canon. A lot of sites have called D90 as a better choice but T2i is still untested.

One of the reasons I was considering D90 is that it comes with 18-105 kit. Considering that we have a 1 year old and if we get 55-250 kit with Canon (or with any other camera) it will be a hassle to carry and change the lenses while traveling with him. I don't want to be put off due to all the changing and carrying. May be once I feel comfortable with the camera I will consider adding to the lens kit. Any suggestions?

I'll have to agree with Supe here on the importance of the high ISO performance. I finally showed my wife how to ratchet up the ISO and not use the flash indoors, and our Christmas pics around the tree were soooooo much better than with the flash. IMO, if you're going to use a flash all the time, you might as well just stick with a cheaper point and shoot, because the image quality is the same. A DSLR gives you the ability to capture everything in natural light, but like Supe says, you gotta make sure you get the best performing DSLR (if you can), and maybe more importantly, the fastest lens you can afford. My wife shot all our Christmas photos with the XS and the kit lens, which is not terribly fast, but its stabilized so it sort of makes up a bit for it. If I had the cash, I would love get one of those f2.8L lenses...... "for my wife".

Thanks for the detailed response Supe. I looked at Nikon D90 with 18-105 kit. It is a little expensive but seems to be worth the money especially since I won't be upgrading for a few years. T2i is Canon's response to D90 with 1080 video and higher MP's. However, it comes down to the same old debate between Nikon or Canon. A lot of sites have called D90 as a better choice but T2i is still untested.
One of the reasons I was considering D90 is that it comes with 18-105 kit. Considering that we have a 1 year old and if we get 55-250 kit with Canon (or with any other camera) it will be a hassle to carry and change the lenses while traveling with him. I don't want to be put off due to all the changing and carrying. May be once I feel comfortable with the camera I will consider adding to the lens kit. Any suggestions?
Depending on what you shoot, that 55-250 is a great walkaround lens. Swapping lenses also isn't a big deal, either. Almost all of the non-L glass can fit in your wife's pocket book, small backpack, etc. If you pick up the T2i kit, you can usually get it with the 18-135 lens, which is a darn good lens given the price point and being a "kit" lens.

I ended up going mid-life crisis over the holidays and picked up the Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS II for, well, a lot of money. But man, play with that lens a bit and you'll wish you'd gone Canon!

Depending on what you shoot, that 55-250 is a great walkaround lens. Swapping lenses also isn't a big deal, either. Almost all of the non-L glass can fit in your wife's pocket book, small backpack, etc. If you pick up the T2i kit, you can usually get it with the 18-135 lens, which is a darn good lens given the price point and being a "kit" lens.

I ended up going mid-life crisis over the holidays and picked up the Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS II for, well, a lot of money. But man, play with that lens a bit and you'll wish you'd gone Canon!
I was thinking about getting the new version. I have the f4 which is great, but I really need 2.8 sometimes for weddings. I have the 135L f2 which is great, but more limited than the 70-200.

It was worth the money. Insanely sharp, quick AF, forgot how much I missed having IS. The two downers so far is that it hunts with the AF a bit more than I'd expected, and it weighs a frickin' ton. That thing has to weigh twice what the f4 does. Makes me not mind lugging around the 24-70 so much though!

That 135L is a heck of a lens, but until I plop down money for a full frame camera and have a solid indoor studio some day, I just can't make the switch to primes. I have a hard enough time getting things frame how I want with zooms.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was worth the money. Insanely sharp, quick AF, forgot how much I missed having IS. The two downers so far is that it hunts with the AF a bit more than I'd expected, and it weighs a frickin' ton. That thing has to weigh twice what the f4 does. Makes me not mind lugging around the 24-70 so much though!

That 135L is a heck of a lens, but until I plop down money for a full frame camera and have a solid indoor studio some day, I just can't make the switch to primes. I have a hard enough time getting things frame how I want with zooms.
Full frame is definitely the best thing I ever did. I've got a 5D and it's great, even though I'm getting to the point now where it would be nice to have some bells and whistles that modern cameras have. The 5D really isnt much more than the basics when compared to new cameras. I'll wait for the next iteration though, the 5D II wasnt much of an improvement for me.

My new toy though is micro 4/3rds. I got an Olympus EPL1 and it's great. I used to lug around my 5D and 30 pounds of lenses when traveling, but now I have everything I need and it can fit in my pocket. IQ isn't as great as the 5D obviously, but certainly on par with APS-C cameras.

I get the feeling they'll incorporate a number of 7D features in the 5D MkIII, like it's AF system, and it should be a heck of a camera. One of the main reasons I went with the 7D though is the FPS for the race track, which is as good as it gets unless you go 1 series. I have a feeling that if I'm ever at the point where I'm deciding to buy a 5D, I'll probably end up with a used or previous generation 1D when the latest iteration is out.

That Olympus EPL1 is a neat little camera. Amazing what you can cram into a camera that small. The Sony NEX series blows my mind.

^I'd like to get something like the EPL1 or a NEX camera. I like the idea, and I like the size. The NEX comes with a flash, which to me is a plus - you have to buy one separately for the Olympus, correct?

^I'd like to get something like the EPL1 or a NEX camera. I like the idea, and I like the size. The NEX comes with a flash, which to me is a plus - you have to buy one separately for the Olympus, correct?
The EPL1 and the replacement EPL2 coming in Feb both have flashes built in. I'd get the EPL2, but I just got the EPL1 before Christmas. Dont bother with the EP-1 or EP-2, they're just more expensive and you're paying for some scroll wheels on the back. Supposedly that's what makes it more "professional", but I find the controls on the EPL1 equally easy to use. It's a great camaera with its kit lens, but when combined with the 20mm Panasonic pancake lens, it's fantastic.

Back