Hand Gun Recommendation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I kick out my S.O., I'm putting one of those in the walk-in closet.

I did a 40-hour firearm instructor class last week and it was pretty cool.

We went through 30 rounds of shotgun, 100 rounds of AR and 1000 rounds of pistol.

We did all kinds of pistol shooting.

50 yards

0 yards (pulling the target in while shooting it)

Seated

Laying on back (forward)

Laying on back (backward)

Laying on right side (right-handed)

Laying on left side (left-handed)

One hand reloads (primary and secondary hand)

One hand clearing double feeds (primary and secondary hand)

Skip shots off concrete

It was better than a week in the office.

I did a 40-hour firearm instructor class last week and it was pretty cool.

We went through 30 rounds of shotgun, 100 rounds of AR and 1000 rounds of pistol.

We did all kinds of pistol shooting.

50 yards

0 yards (pulling the target in while shooting it)

Seated

Laying on back (forward)

Laying on back (backward)

Laying on right side (right-handed)

Laying on left side (left-handed)

One hand reloads (primary and secondary hand)

One hand clearing double feeds (primary and secondary hand)

Skip shots off concrete

It was better than a week in the office.

But can you stick your hand in a hole and shoot? that's the only one on the test...

I picked up my new gun today, then got bored because the range was already closed:

IMG_1375.jpg

saw an ad in the local paper last night. A shooting range is coming to town in the near future. Told mr snick about it. He is excited...depending on the timing I may have just found mr snick xmas present...time/materials at the shooting range so he can use his glock that has been sitting in the safe since we got it.

saw an ad in the local paper last night. A shooting range is coming to town in the near future. Told mr snick about it. He is excited...depending on the timing I may have just found mr snick xmas present...time/materials at the shooting range so he can use his glock that has been sitting in the safe since we got it.

Indoor or outdoor?

Indoor or outdoor?
indoors i think

Well, finally turned to the dark side and bought a gun.

Went with my oldest to a gun range, rented three hand guns, and finally decided for one of them. Bought a Ruger SR9c. I was sweating bullets the whole time. Felt very stupid and worthless loading a gun, which I had never done, and firing it. But at the end, after three boxes of ammo (one 22 and two 9s) felt much better.

My son did very well too but with the last weapon, the SR9c, I put several right in the center at 20+ ft. I know it is not something to brag about at the distance but it was my first time so take it easy with me. :p

I do hope for the gun to never be needed.

Welcome to the dark side dark knight!! I think you'll find that it's the funniest side to be on. I hope you never need it in the way that you implied but find it to be an enjoying hobby. From the sound of it you're enjoying it pretty well already. Several in the center at 20+ feet means you are off to a great start!

I recently bought a Glock G35 0.40 S&W. It's a fun smooth shooting gun. It holds 15 + 1 in the chamber.

2ic3yts.jpg

My other pistol is a Citadel Model 1911 0.45 ACP. I bought it gently used at a pawn shop and it's fun when the thing doesn't jam. It's still under warranty and I'm sending it back to the manufacturer. Apparently the Citadel 0.45's have a known jam problem.

33uxvs6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently bought a Glock G35 0.40 S&W. It's a fun smooth shooting gun. It holds 15 + 1 in the chamber.

2ic3yts.jpg

My other pistol is a Citadel Model 1911 0.45 ACP. I bought it gently used at a pawn shop and it's fun when the thing doesn't jam. It's still under warranty and I'm sending it back to the manufacturer. Apparently the Citadel 0.45's have a known jam problem.

33uxvs6.jpg
I have a Glock 34, which is the 9mm version of the Model 35. It's my target/competition gun... cheap to shoot in large quantities. I like the 34 a lot.

I have wanted to buy a 1911 but have not been able to justify it. They are each a little slice of history and they have a lot of character. But yeah, I hear the cycling is not as reliable with them.

One of my fellow deputies got really into 1911s for a while but become frustrated with them and is now entirely back to Glock.

1911s look cool as heck though. Denzel seems to have one in every movie he does, usually nickel.

I've never really been a fan of the grip safety. Having to squeeze the grip with the inside part of my thumb was never really comfortable for me.

Back