Hand Gun Recommendation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't use a 9mm for defense but I think it can be effective. The caliber was scapegoated in the Miami FBI shooting years ago (giving rise to 10mm and subsequently 40 S&W).

But a 9mm JHP with +P pressure is certainly nothing to scoff at. I would feel comfortable carrying that 9mm in a pocket pistol.

I have no worries with my 9mm with JHP rounds sitting under my pillow at night...

I doubt that Barney and company would allow the Military to scoff at NATO's rules about no hollow points..of course we allow tracers in M60's and SAW's but then technically you cant shoot a .50 cal at a person under NATO (you have to aim at their canteen) cause you can shoot their equipment....

when I was in there were still a few .45's being used, not sure if they are anymore today though..

Pennsylvania is awesome !!! I mailed my concealed carry permit application on Tuesday and got a call this morning that my permit is ready to be picked up ... Nothing like a two day turn around with a background check.

My wife, a stay at home mom without even a speeding ticket on her record, waited over 4 months for hers. Had to call and bug them numerous times to find out what the deal was.

Nice on the quick turnaround CCL. Be careful out there.

I have handled the Walther and Ruger in 22 and really liked them, but couldn't justify the cost for a plinker. Then I found the Phoenix Arms HP22. I would not ever bet my life on it, but it was inexpensive and fun. I would say of the three - Ruger, Walther, or Sig, you can't go wrong.

If this is your introduction to firearms and you want a level up from 22, Glock 19 (9mm) is a great place to start. Can't go wrong and not that expensive. I prefer the Springfield to the G19, but either way.

I ended up buying an SR22 ...

3607.jpg

Was at the range for 3 hours testing everything. The Ruger just felt better than the S&W and the SS. Fun gun to shoot.

The best gun in the world is the one that fits your hand and eye the best. For me, that is a Glock, but Ruger is a solid brand. I would have had a problem if you bought a Taurus, though. They are cheap, but for good reason.

Q. Isn't against the Geneva Convention for the Military to use hollowpoint or fragmenting ammo?

You probably mean the Hague Peace Conference held in July 1899. That was when "bullets that expand or flatten easily in the human body" were first proscribed. The United States was never a signatory to the Hague Peace Conference which meant that not only could the United States use those rounds but also that if the US entered a conflict all the other parties could use them too.

The United States did, however, sign the Hague Convention 1907, Article 23(e) which forbade: "...arms, projectiles, or material (sic) calculated to cause unnecessary suffering." As a result, US snipers used M-118 ammo, a "Match" version of M-80 ball. (7.62Ã51mm 173-grain solid-tipped boat tail).

In late 1985, the Judge Advocate General wrote an opinion which affirmed that expanding ammo was legal for the US to use in operations "not involving the engagement of the armed forces of another State" (like counter terrorist operations, for example).

In 1990, another opinion permitted the use of the Sierra MatchKing hollowpoint round by US snipers, reasoning that it was not designed to expand or fragment and that the hollowpoint design was a result of the requirements for manufacturing super-accurate bullets.

Then in 1993 Special Operations Command was given the go-ahead by the Judge Advocate General to equip their forces with JHP rounds (Winchester "Black Talon" at the time) for their H&K MK 23 pistols." Ammo Oracle (emphasis added)

I have no worries with my 9mm with JHP rounds sitting under my pillow at night...
Meh. Hydra-Shok FTW. ;)

The best gun in the world is the one that fits your hand and eye the best. For me, that is a Glock, but Ruger is a solid brand. I would have had a problem if you bought a Taurus, though. They are cheap, but for good reason.

One of my first .45s is a Taurus, and I love the thing. No, it's not built like a Springfield, but it eats darn near anything I've ever fed it, and in over 1000 rounds through it, has only had a handful of jams with one particular brand of ammo (cheap steel case was too thick at the neck and would hang up on the ramp) . That's one of my big issues with some of the higher end pistols - tolerances are so tight, they can be VERY picky with ammo.

Meh. Hydra-Shok FTW. ;)
Q. Isn't against the Geneva Convention for the Military to use hollowpoint or fragmenting ammo?

You probably mean the Hague Peace Conference held in July 1899. That was when "bullets that expand or flatten easily in the human body" were first proscribed. The United States was never a signatory to the Hague Peace Conference which meant that not only could the United States use those rounds but also that if the US entered a conflict all the other parties could use them too.

The United States did, however, sign the Hague Convention 1907, Article 23(e) which forbade: "...arms, projectiles, or material (sic) calculated to cause unnecessary suffering." As a result, US snipers used M-118 ammo, a "Match" version of M-80 ball. (7.62Ã51mm 173-grain solid-tipped boat tail).

In late 1985, the Judge Advocate General wrote an opinion which affirmed that expanding ammo was legal for the US to use in operations "not involving the engagement of the armed forces of another State" (like counter terrorist operations, for example).

In 1990, another opinion permitted the use of the Sierra MatchKing hollowpoint round by US snipers, reasoning that it was not designed to expand or fragment and that the hollowpoint design was a result of the requirements for manufacturing super-accurate bullets.

Then in 1993 Special Operations Command was given the go-ahead by the Judge Advocate General to equip their forces with JHP rounds (Winchester "Black Talon" at the time) for their H&K MK 23 pistols." Ammo Oracle (emphasis added)
Good thing I'm not representing the US when an intruder commits an act of war upon my house (read: breaking & entering)...

My wife, a stay at home mom without even a speeding ticket on her record, waited over 4 months for hers. Had to call and bug them numerous times to find out what the deal was.

Michigan law says "shall issue" within 3 months but mine took a few more weeks than that. Fingerprint computers could not be sure that I was not a felon so my prints went to the state police for manual inspection.

Meh. Hydra-Shok FTW. ;)

Good thing I'm not representing the US when an intruder commits an act of war upon my house (read: breaking & entering)...
Out of curiousity mostly, I bought some 9mm "International Full Profile" bullets for target shooting. Turns out, they were JHP but the points were filled with lead so they could be sold and shot internationally. Of course they were a few grains heavier because of the lead in the tip.

(These were bullets for me to load myself, not loaded ammo).

Back