Hand Gun Recommendation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradlelf

Licensed Professional Engineer
Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a Sig Sauer Mosquito ... anyone have an opinion on these?

I am looking for a nice .22 or 9mm target shooting gun; hopefully around $300 used. Something fun to shoot but still has some weight.

637157_01_sig_sauer_mosquito_22_lr_semi__640.jpg

Thoughts or recommendations?

_len

I think 9mm kicks a little too much for a gun that doesn't allow you to grip will all 4 fingers. It's amazing how much control you lose once the pinkie is "free floating".

I think 9mm kicks a little too much for a gun that doesn't allow you to grip will all 4 fingers. It's amazing how much control you lose once the pinkie is "free floating".

That's what extended mags are for.

The Mosquito is a very nice piece. You can probably find the Walther P22 in that price range as well, though I believe the Sig is a nicer piece.

HOWEVER - If what you want is a nice shooting .22LR with some weight and infinite customization... you need a Ruger MKII/III or a 22/45. I have the latter, and paid about $250 for mine with match sights and bull barrel.

That's what extended mags are for.

The Mosquito is a very nice piece. You can probably find the Walther P22 in that price range as well, though I believe the Sig is a nicer piece.

HOWEVER - If what you want is a nice shooting .22LR with some weight and infinite customization... you need a Ruger MKII/III or a 22/45. I have the latter, and paid about $250 for mine with match sights and bull barrel.

Ruger MK III is what's in my gun cabinet and I love it!!!

index.jpg

I have the target version and, even as a novice, can group consistently. It has been a very reliable shooter. Be sure to buy the version that has removable grips and adjustable sights for future modifications. (the box stores sell molded grip and fixed sight versions)

Note that the Mark III is horrible to disassemble and clean mostly due to having such tight fitting parts... But since I don't shoot enough to have to disassemble often, it was an acceptable trait of the design.

Another .22 that I have found fun to shoot is the Browning Buckmark. I do not yet own one though.

^^^ My FIL has the competition version. It's really heavy for a 22, but it translates to almost no kick and very consistent performance.

You can't go wrong with a Sig. My other recommendation would be a small frame Glock. I love the grip angle on a Glock, but I've heard the exact opposite from other people, so it's a personal preference thing.

If you go with a 9mm, get the extended mag, you'll want to have a full grip (as Dex & Supe previously pointed out). I personally think that the 22 is a better firearm for plinking and target shooting, cost & recoil wise, provided you can find ammunition! Although this can be said across the board these days for almost any caliber...

I have a Buckmark and it is a very nice target / small game gun. I've shot the Ruger Mark III and if I had the $$, I'd probably add one to the collection.

Another model to consider is the Smith & Wesson M&P if you are set on a 9mm. The g/f has the 9mm with an extended mag & interchangeable grips. This could permit multiple setups on the same frame for different shooters.

Another random thought: some people I know have gone with the 1911's in 45 cal and used the 22 conversion kit (some glocks have this capability too) for most functionality in one frame. Just be sure to get the right conversion kit to prevent issues (some are made better than others).

I own a Sig Sauer Mosquito. My only complaint is the occasional fail to fire (FTF) depending on the ammo I use. Otherwise, it's a great weapon for range target shooting.

I use a .22 for plinking and carry a S&W bodyguard .380 because its just so convenient. I also have a Ruger LC9 but only carry it when i have a coat or sweater to cover it up on my side. I would have to recommend the Ruger Mark III for the .22 even though I don't own one. They feel really good.

I use a .22 for plinking and carry a S&W bodyguard .380 because its just so convenient. I also have a Ruger LC9 but only carry it when i have a coat or sweater to cover it up on my side. I would have to recommend the Ruger Mark III for the .22 even though I don't own one. They feel really good.

I strongly recommend NOT getting a .380. I own a few, and love them for CC, but .380 ammo costs as much or more than most .45. If you're going to go centerfire for plinking, go 9mm.

It all depends on your actual use of the gun...if it's for fun, plinking and/or target practice, by all means the 22 is the way to go. They also make great backup pieces because of their size. I have a Ruger Mark III hunter, great shooting gun, very accurate, but it's heavy, so I mounted a holographic sight on it and only use it for target practice. I have a Browning Buckmark in Nickel, it's great for open sight shooting and super reliable, it's my field gun, walking around the pond fishing or frogging at night, it's on my hip, love to shoot it. I also have the Walther P22, bought it for my wife and 12yr old to shoot...great feel, very accurate and fun to shoot. I don't have the Sig, but one of my best friends is a Sig fanatic and he loves his. I'm sure you can't go wrong with it. If it were me, I'd go down to Bass Pro and have one of their sales guys/gals take the whole assortment out and show them to you, see what feels good to you and which you like the best. In my opinion, they are all great guns, some have better characteristics and uses that make them special. If there is a shooting range near you...ask around, most of the guys/gals there will be proud of their weapons and will likely love to show you what they have and maybe even let you fire a few rounds off, ask around and make some new friends!

I agree w Supe on the 380 and 9mm, I don't have a 380, but I have a Ruger P97 in 45 and P95 in 9mm, love to shoot them both, great guns at a low price point. 9mm and 45 are both fairly easy to get right now and the price isn't too bad, if your going defense and maybe CC, I'd go with one of these two. The 9mm doesn't have much recoil and is available in some pretty small frames and with the extended mag you get a pinkie rest. I have my CC, but I don't carry very often, so I use a rear holster and a full frame, but the compact and sub-compact frames shoot pretty well at under 15-20yds...

I have a 9mm Beretta PX4 Storm. It's probably a little big for simply target shooting, and it's definitely too big to conceal carry. Luckily it comes in 3 sizes: full size, compact, and sub compact (the 3 on the left, I have the one on the top left). The full size comes in 9mm, 40 & 45. I'm not sure what sizes the smaller ones have, but I know you can get all 3 in a 9mm.

Beretta_PX4_Storm_Standard_Compact_and_Subcompact_Tactical_Pistols_NDIA_Infantry_Small_Arms_Systems_Symposium_2011_DefenseReview.com_DR_11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ruger SR22 is a great choice! Cheap ammo, fun to target practice, accurate in mid-short range...ok for protection due to accurate and the rate of fire lol

I bought a sneaky Pete for my ruger LCP. It works good. Any body else tried one??

I strongly recommend NOT getting a .380. I own a few, and love them for CC, but .380 ammo costs as much or more than most .45. If you're going to go centerfire for plinking, go 9mm.

I always have to stop and sort statements like this out...

I didn't intend to suggest a .380 for target practice, even though now that I reread my post it looks like i was. I was saying I CARRY a .380 because you can hide it almost any pocket or carry it a variety of ways and it doesn't weigh me down.

I have Glock fullsize pistols in 9mm and 10mm - 9mm for target shooting and 10mm for concealed carry.

Gen3 Glocks in 9mm are in the $300-450 range.

If you can go to a gun shop and try some out that's about the best thing you can do.. Everyone likes different things in a handgun...

I like a heavy gun.. I have a beretta 92F and I conceal carry every now and then, but I take my .357 revolver hiking and camping... Also heavy....

I've shot my cop friends Glocks and just don't care for them... But some people love them...

A decent gun shop- even if u buy used, should let you try them out at their range... That is the best test IMO.

Good deal ... thank you everyone for your input ... I am heading to the gun shop this weekend.

Applied for the concealed carry permit yesterday :)

Latest posts

Back