Going, going, gone.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apple IIgs- this was the computer from my youth and they are very much not around anymore. My iPod has 200 times the storage of that old computer. I remember the day we got a hard drive and it was pretty exciting...we no longer needed the boot disk and now had...brace yourself...1MB of storage! My TI-89 also features 1MB of storage.
The 5 1/4" size floppy disk no less! I remember those too. Of course we didn't have computers in the classrooms, just one lab for the whole elementary school. We'd go there once a week and get to play Oregon Trail and Number Munchers and that stuff.

the candy dots on the sheets of paper. Haven't seen those in forever. Super good though.
We just bought some of these last weekend. I'm starting to feel like I must live in a time warp of candy dots and lite brites.

I remember it was a big deal that our IIgs took what looked like tiny hard disks instead of the floppies. We subscribed to a company that would send us a disk each month with programs and games on it. We also had a magazine full of basic programs that we'd spend HOURS typing in just to play a text version of Monopoly. Remember when a computer program took twelve disks to install?

I hate that most makes/models lack manual trannies and if they do have them, they are rare. Luckily, the pony cars seem to be an exception. Plenty of stick Mustangs, Challengers and (hopefully soon) Camaros around.

I like my Maxx but I really miss the stick.

I hate that most makes/models lack manual trannies and if they do have them, they are rare. Luckily, the pony cars seem to be an exception. Plenty of stick Mustangs, Challengers and (hopefully soon) Camaros around.
everytime I'm stuck in bumper to bumper ttraffic I'm glad I don't have a manual transmission. I wouldn't even consider one for my daily driver. I think they're great for a "fun" car, but too much of a PITA for everytime you take the car out somewhere. Of course, with all the idiots on the road these days, driviing isn't a lot of fun for me anymore period.

wax paper / aluminum foil wrapper for Wrigleys gum, then you would try to separate the two without tearing one of them.

It's one of the reasons I've held on to the MR2 for so long. The turbo wasn't even available with an automatic transmission. Toyota's philosophy at the time was that if you were buying the turbocharged car, you were buying a sports car. Sports cars do NOT have automatic transmissions.

I'm still irked by the fact that I couldn't even special order my GMC pickup with a manual transmission. I will admit to liking the auto in stop-n-go traffic though.

everytime I'm stuck in bumper to bumper ttraffic I'm glad I don't have a manual transmission. I wouldn't even consider one for my daily driver. I think they're great for a "fun" car, but too much of a PITA for everytime you take the car out somewhere. Of course, with all the idiots on the road these days, driviing isn't a lot of fun for me anymore period.
I used to think that, but not anymore, and living in Houston, I know a thing or two about stop and go traffic. They hydraulic clutch assemblies of most cars today are so light, it's not really any more tiresome, and if you're sitting there a while, just pop the darn thing in neutral. My buddy in California was going to buy an automatic Vette because of all the hills. Found a Z06 instead, and said the same thing, didn't bother him a bit.

Automatic transmissions were developed for stop and go city driving and are best suited for such tasks. Today an automatic will often give better mileage than a similarly equipped car with a manual transmission.

Has anyone driven a car with a CVT? I hear they're as annoying as driving an automatic that's slipping.

Has anyone driven a car with a CVT? I hear they're as annoying as driving an automatic that's slipping.
I rented one a couple of years ago (Nissan Murano). I can confirm that it felt exactly like driving a slipping automatic. Other than that, it was a pretty nice vehicle.

I never minded the clutch in stop and go traffic. Granted, Columbia traffic isn't like Boston's, but the clutches are very light nowadays. I don't see what the big deal is. Really, the automatic 'creep' pi$$es me off in traffic far more than the clutchwork ever did.

I used to think that, but not anymore, and living in Houston, I know a thing or two about stop and go traffic. They hydraulic clutch assemblies of most cars today are so light, it's not really any more tiresome, and if you're sitting there a while, just pop the darn thing in neutral. My buddy in California was going to buy an automatic Vette because of all the hills. Found a Z06 instead, and said the same thing, didn't bother him a bit.
but a Z06 is a "fun" car that would have to be a manual. Flip side is that I hear these paddle shifters can make an automatic pretty fun too. I've never driven one. Maybe I'll have to go beat on drive my buddies Acura RL that has them but he's never tried them out.

I rented one a couple of years ago (Nissan Murano). I can confirm that it felt exactly like driving a slipping automatic. Other than that, it was a pretty nice vehicle.
My wife has a '05 Ford Freestyle with a CVT. Definitely feels like it's slipping. I'm not a fan.

I'm surprised PE-ness hasn't chimed in yet on this issue of equivalency between 'floppy' and 'hard'...disks.

2 liter soda bottles that had the flat bottom with the black plastic cap on it.

Back