Going, going, gone.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there's no more glue sniffing, what am I supposed to do when I'm bored at work?
Does your office have an LA group? Even if they're not stoned sitting together in a circle with no shoes on singing folk music, they will at least have some high end markers to sniff that are almost as good as glue.

real "blue" prints - with ammonia development
The company I left 2 years ago still issues blueprint packages to this day. The old machine died 7 or 8 years ago, we thought they would replace it with a copier, they somehow found another print machine that worked and bought it... PITA to get packages out, one sheet at a time, 1 minute per sheet, hand fed...

And you gotta love the smell... In my oilfield days, I had to run blueline copies of the well logs after I was finished, by hand, sometimes for 3 to 4 hours if the oil company wanted a lot of copies, or if we had run numerous logs on a very deep well. I can still remember that particular, stinging pain of an ammonia-laced papercut in the web between the fingers, which happened almost every time while trying to guide the papre/film combo through the machine as fast as it would take it (not to mention the burning of those cuts while running the next film through the developer and fixer baths, without gloves of course). And I'll never be able to forget the smell.

The company I left 5 years ago still had the old DIETZGEN amonia blueprint machine.

I got high many times running prints on it. We used reverse paper, so the paper was white and the lines were blue. Very good looking set of prints though, but not worth the effort.

anyone remember computer "punch" cards?

I actually used those in my fortran class in college. It was big news when we got terminals for the mainframe so we didn't have to run "batch card" programs anymore. You had to wait over night to have you program run, only to pick up the output and see that you missed a formatting space or something equally stupid which caused the program to crash. Our company had a punch card table. I didn't get trashed until ~2000.

I know....I'm old.

anyone remember computer "punch" cards? I actually used those in my fortran class in college. It was big news when we got terminals for the mainframe so we didn't have to run "batch card" programs anymore. You had to wait over night to have you program run, only to pick up the output and see that you missed a formatting space or something equally stupid which caused the program to crash. Our company had a punch card table. I didn't get trashed until ~2000.

I know....I'm old.
I hear the old punch card/fortan stories at work anytime computers are brought up. I didn't use punch cards, but I did take fortran in college to satisfy the CS requirement.

Apple IIgs- this was the computer from my youth and they are very much not around anymore. My iPod has 200 times the storage of that old computer. I remember the day we got a hard drive and it was pretty exciting...we no longer needed the boot disk and now had...brace yourself...1MB of storage! My TI-89 also features 1MB of storage.

anyone remember computer "punch" cards? I actually used those in my fortran class in college. It was big news when we got terminals for the mainframe so we didn't have to run "batch card" programs anymore. You had to wait over night to have you program run, only to pick up the output and see that you missed a formatting space or something equally stupid which caused the program to crash. Our company had a punch card table. I didn't get trashed until ~2000.

I know....I'm old.
When I took Computers in HS, they made us do punch cards first before they let us on the state of the art Apple IIe.

Dad said it wasn't unusual for the office a-hole to get a few extra punches on his cards from aggravated co-workers.

Dang, I took Basic, Basic-A, QBasic, Pascal, Fortran, and C++ classes at one time or another...

I hear the old punch card/fortan stories at work anytime computers are brought up. I didn't use punch cards, but I did take fortran in college to satisfy the CS requirement.
I toured my first computer lab in the spring of 1983. A couple friends and I were screwing around during the demonstration and were scolded, "Pay attention! How do you expect to learn computers if you don't know how to use a punch card?" :eek:ld-025:

anyone remember computer "punch" cards?
I know....I'm old.
Me, too. I used punch cards in high school and college. If I had been in college a few years later and had access to a terminal, I might have stayed in Computer Science.

I still use an old diazo machine with anhydrous ammonia to run copies of drawings because our 16 year old plotter coughs out 1 drawing per hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have a few folks that submit hand drawn, blue line blueprints for review.

Back