Getting the last word

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

[rant]

There is a supervisor-type in my office that insists on disputing positions through e-mail. Not only does he blather on in a less-than-eloquent fashion, but he MUST get the last word in.

Case-in-point: I decided to see just how many times he would respond to a particular point of disagreement if I continued to respond to his original e-mail. In the grand scheme it was a picayune detail, but I wondered for yucks and grins how many responses I would receive if I continued to assert my dissenting position. And for those of you thinking it .... yeah .. I can be that evil. :asthanos:

The latest tally is up to 29 total responses with all of the previous messages attached and he STILL had to get the final word in. :reading:

What is it with people like that ???!!!!!!

[/rant]

Okay, I feel better now. :)

JR

Thats a tough call. Ive never been a last word type person and it doenst bother me too much usually. If I know Im right Ill walk away and let the moron blabber away to someone who gives a crap.

As far as emails go its the kind of thing that most people will look back at a few weeks later and realize they let it drag on WAY too long. Of course some people are just dumb and wont get the point.

I dont know who is worse the cant let it go emailer or the copy everyone including jesus emailer?

The protocol here is what makes for these ungodly email chains.... if my mechanical guy has a question on an in-house effort I am running, he has to email the RFI to me, I have to email it to our PM, the PM sends it to the PM for the architect/engineer who then forwards it to the appropiate person at there office OR the client's contact who would then forward it to right party on their end. When the response is given (usually in the same email thread) - it goes back up the chain (with about 3/4's of the free world copied on each email). What a pain in the ass.

-Ray

I say the guy who emails everyone. Especially when it's along email about a project you are involved with.

You sift through paragraphs of shit just to realize this doesn't concern your aspect of the work.

I have just the opposite problem VT. Im on the "dont email $hit to this guy" list. My boss will send out an email to the client with me and a couple other people CC'ed on it. Ive had one client who removes me from the "reply to all" list every time. They actually take the time to prevent they're replies from coming to me. Just me, everyone else on the project team gets them. Its a little strange to say the least. It pisses my boss off because he then has to take the time to forward me stuff.

Fusion-
Do you have any reason why he would do that?

Not that I can think of. I actually dont have that much direct contact with the client because Im way down the totem pole so its not like I pissed them off. I guess maybe I should start trying to get the last word in so at least they'll notice me.

I have just the opposite problem VT. Im on the "dont email $hit to this guy" list.
I've got one client like that. The state DEC put him on notice to install monitoring wells in his leachfields and take readings every week or so. I designed the wells and oversaw the installation. The client emails people in my company who never spent more than 5 minutes on this project, the town, the state, my great aunt Betty, the Easter bunny, etc.

Everyone but me! :)

OK,

I've got an idea about a thread, that the goal is to get the last word (or post)

it could go FOREVER.

I'll start it in the Shoot the Breeze

I also hate the cc-everyone e-mails.

What I hate the most is sharing the same first name as another government engineer, and constantly getting unintentional e-mails aimed at him. And because he is a public works guy and I am a permitting guy, the e-mails are always about projects that we are both involved in, so I usually have to wade through the entire thing before I can figure out if it was intended for him, or for me.

there is another engineer here with the name Vincent. I get his voicemails alot and he gets mine.

People that use the directory don't bother to wait and hear the full name

Back