For those discovering they didn't pass...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I failed the Civil WRE for the first time.  I was honestly really surprised i got a 23/40 on the morning test and a 26/40 in the afternoon.  I honestly walked out of the morning feeling I had only missed 3-4 but I missed 17?  How does one do that.  The afternoon makes since.  I wasn't nearly as confident in the afternoon.  I have signed up for the EET Water/Env class for the April test.  I couldn't swing both of them.  Any advice for the morning portion as far as material to study.  I worked the CRM problems and NCEES practice test last time.  
The index in the CERM  , NCEES exam and Goswami`s breadth exam were my three references for the morning.  I remember answering 1 Geotech question which had a similar formula in Goswami`s practice exam which would have been otherwise difficult to get if I just had the CERM.  I read the theory on CERM and solved the worked examples until I match the exact solution in the book.  I think most of the mistakes that happen on the morning exam are simple unit conversions , etc ( I do this a lot). I took the structural PM and don`t work on any of the other sections on the exam on a daily basis but I felt that if you can identify the keywords on the problem (like manning`s roughness etc) and go to the index, you will be able to get it with 2 or 3 step calculations. 

GA Civil, 

You are going to really enjoy the EET WRE review course with Nazrul.  I passed with EET (I took their breadth and WR/Env depth classes).  Work hard in his class and he will definitely help get you there in the afternoon.  You will work lots of problems and practice exams, but come exam day you'll be happy that most (I'd say about 90%) of the questions come directly from the depth binder.  You will answer the questions confidently if you put the hard work in and enjoy the process.  Also, listen to the books that Nazrul recommends for the depth session, because those can come in handy (although I happened to use just his binder exclusively on the depth exam)

Good luck!
Come on!! 90% depth questions directly from a binder!! That's like hitting a jackpot. Don'texaggerate, please. I cannot argue much though because I have not seen that EET binder. My opinion, you need at least a couple of reference books to answer some problems. These books develop formulae from scratch, alternative techniques, and discuss different exception cases, which cannot be covered in a class binder. Also, there will always be some questions for which you need to use your own judgement; no book or binder will have it.  

90% depth questions directly from a binder!! That's like hitting a jackpot. Don'texaggerate, please.
I agree with about 90% coming from EET. I answered some based info that I had memorized and one with the help of an NCEES practice exam. I don't think I opened any of the other reference I took for the depth.

Edit:

You have to remember that the WRE depth does not really deal with codes like the other depth exams do. WRE does not need the "Green Book," or steal manuals, or OSHA crap, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with about 90% coming from EET. I answered some based info that I had memorized and one with the help of an NCEES practice exam. I don't think I opened any of the other reference I took for the depth.

Edit:

You have to remember that the WRE depth does not really deal with codes like the other depth exams do. WRE does not need the "Green Book," or steal manuals, or OSHA crap, etc.
I agree with Matt. I took EET for Construction, and you could not pass with monkey EET notes. You need the references; you will use them on numerous questions.

NYCProjectEngineer makes some very good points. eowen99, I'm curious to know what resources you used for your practice problems. I too failed Civil WRE depth, first time taking and it sounds like our scores were similar, however, I performed better in the morning than I did in the afternoon. I used ppi2pass excam cafe and thought the test bank questions were comparable and adequately prepared me for the morning session, but am looking for additional resources to help with the depth portion of exam...specifically wastewater treatment and water system distribution. Any books or manuals you found useful during the exam.
I am using the following to prepare. I took test masters and use their notes. CERM. I use a water recourse dictionary, Cameron hydr. Data, practice tests NCEES 2010 and the latest, all in one 2012, and sample exam from lindebug 3rd edition. I also went back and studied fundamental of geotechnical by Braja days 4th edition.

GA Civil, 

You are going to really enjoy the EET WRE review course with Nazrul.  I passed with EET (I took their breadth and WR/Env depth classes).  Work hard in his class and he will definitely help get you there in the afternoon.  You will work lots of problems and practice exams, but come exam day you'll be happy that most (I'd say about 90%) of the questions come directly from the depth binder.  You will answer the questions confidently if you put the hard work in and enjoy the process.  Also, listen to the books that Nazrul recommends for the depth session, because those can come in handy (although I happened to use just his binder exclusively on the depth exam)

Good luck!
I second nkalenze (although maybe not the part about "enjoying the process" ;) ).

I took EET (both breadth and WRE depth) for Spring 2015 and passed on my first shot. The breadth classes are pretty good and kept me from diving in too deep on any one subject, and Nazrul's WRE section is really great. Nazrul is an excellent teacher and really cares about the success of each of his students. I recommended his class to my colleague who also took it and passed on her first attempt.

My biggest recommendation is keeping up to date with the homework. It can get very daunting to catch up if you fall behind. Also, if there is a particular area in the morning that is dragging you down (for me, it's structural), I would take the month before the classes start to go through the applicable sections of the CERM (if you are taking the breadth EET, they would probably be happy to recommend what you should review beforehand if you're weak in any area). 

Has anyone every taken the on-demand EET classes?  I've taken the SoPE class and I know taking the live web class will be difficult to carve out weekends again (2 young kids) so I thinking the on-demand will allow me to do classes on my own time through the week and weekends.  I looking at the geotech depth.  I was hoping by taking the EET classes that I can get a different mix of problems to solve and study from, not sure what else I can do to pass this test.  I have the classic case of anxiety ever time I sit down to take this test, which causes me to do stupid errors.  I'm not sure if another class will help me or if I just need more problems to work so I can gain my confidence when I walk in there.

Has anyone every taken the on-demand EET classes?  I've taken the SoPE class and I know taking the live web class will be difficult to carve out weekends again (2 young kids) so I thinking the on-demand will allow me to do classes on my own time through the week and weekends.  I looking at the geotech depth.  I was hoping by taking the EET classes that I can get a different mix of problems to solve and study from, not sure what else I can do to pass this test.  I have the classic case of anxiety ever time I sit down to take this test, which causes me to do stupid errors.  I'm not sure if another class will help me or if I just need more problems to work so I can gain my confidence when I walk in there.
There are no less than 3,000 posts regarding EET on this board.

Did you do simulate exams during your studying? I recommend doing no less than two full simulated exams prior to the exam-day.

I did, and I scored decently on them.  I'm now to the point where the problems I have I've seen them before and I'm afraid that if I try to use them again as a simulated exam I will remember what the answers are without really having to go thru the problem, if you understand what I am saying.  I felt great after leaving the test and was a little shocked to see how poorly I did in the morning session.  I've never been a great test taker and I think I psych myself out when I go in.  I'm figuring I need to change something on my studying strategy and do more problems and more simulated tests.  I did 2 simulated tests before 2 weeks out from the exam. 

I did, and I scored decently on them.  I'm now to the point where the problems I have I've seen them before and I'm afraid that if I try to use them again as a simulated exam I will remember what the answers are without really having to go thru the problem, if you understand what I am saying.  I felt great after leaving the test and was a little shocked to see how poorly I did in the morning session.  I've never been a great test taker and I think I psych myself out when I go in.  I'm figuring I need to change something on my studying strategy and do more problems and more simulated tests.  I did 2 simulated tests before 2 weeks out from the exam.
What was your strategy during the exam? Was time an issue for you?

I read thru all the question and labeled them from A-D (easiest to hardest), D being the most work and I did all the conceptual questions first.  I finished the morning and afternoon session about 10-15 min early.

Edifatta, I am not a good test taker as well. Did you register for EET? I just did on Monday and waiting for my binder to arrive.

Edifatta, I am not a good test taker as well. Did you register for EET? I just did on Monday and waiting for my binder to arrive.
Sheetu, I did.  I got my binders in the mail over the weekend.  I registered for the On-Demand classes and plan on sitting down tonight to watch a portion of my first class.  Are you doing the Live classes? 

Back