Flat Earthers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still think this is an elaborate ploy to get a free ride up on Spac X's space flights that are going to start in a few years - today on the radio they said the cost was going to be $250G's a flight..

I still think this is an elaborate ploy to get a free ride up on Spac X's space flights that are going to start in a few years - today on the radio they said the cost was going to be $250G's a flight..
I think that every person that has ever professed flat earth ideology should get a free ride from SpaceX...in the cargo hold of a Falcon Heavy.  Just dump 'em all out there and raise the average IQ of the world.

I still think this is an elaborate ploy to get a free ride up on Spac X's space flights that are going to start in a few years
I've had this thought too.

today on the radio they said the cost was going to be $250G's a flight..

$250k was Virgin Galactic's price. I don't recall if SpaceX ever gave a pricetag? If that is what they are charging then its to compete with Branson.

I know more than enough about aerospace and range safety to know that I really don't want to be one of the first people to go up on either system.

you may be right I was in the car all day so I don't recall which "provide" they were talking about ,just remember the $250K price tag

JqzXU7l.jpg

If the earth were flat, wouldn't it be a pretty simple matter to prove it?  You know, by going to the edge?

Read a good article this morning about a Flat-Earth blogger who offered $100k to a pilot who could fly between 3 points using only 90 degree turns and end up in the same place they started from. He obviously had no idea that spherical triangles exist...

tripleright.jpg

Read a good article this morning about a Flat-Earth blogger who offered $100k to a pilot who could fly between 3 points using only 90 degree turns and end up in the same place they started from. He obviously had no idea that spherical triangles exist...

tripleright.jpg
I saw the video on that too... people arent the brightest.

Google and Tesla both use this as an interview question.... err at least they did

I've watched several videos on that $100k challenge.  A pilot and YouTuber named Wolvie6020 has completed the challenge 3 different times, and the flat-earther challenger changed the rules each time the challenge was completed.  First Wolvie proved the route using digital charts on the iPad he actually uses in the cockpit of his plane.  Flat-earther says that the challenge must be completed on a specific brand of digital chart.  Wolvie completes the challenge on the requested digital chart.  Flat-earther says that the challenge must be completed with paper charts, and adds requirement that the route must incorporate destinations "that you can actually fly to."  Wolvie had been using the north pole for simplicity sake...you could just go 5000 miles down a line of longitude, go 5000 miles around a line of latitude, then go 5000 miles up another line of longitude.  Both Wolvie and another YouTuber named MC Toon have now completed the challenge using paper charts cut-and-pasted together showing a route between non-North Pole locations.  MC Toon went a step further and actually taped the charts to a hemisphere made out of PVC to show that the route lays flat when wrapped around a sphere and doesn't work on a flat plane. 

I can only suppose that the next new requirement will be for Wolvie to actually take this idiot up in a plane and fly the route.  Even then, the flat-earther will probably just claim that the airplane's instruments have been hacked by NASA to make it appear to be flying around a sphere.

I've watched several videos on that $100k challenge.  A pilot and YouTuber named Wolvie6020 has completed the challenge 3 different times, and the flat-earther challenger changed the rules each time the challenge was completed.  First Wolvie proved the route using digital charts on the iPad he actually uses in the cockpit of his plane.  Flat-earther says that the challenge must be completed on a specific brand of digital chart.  Wolvie completes the challenge on the requested digital chart.  Flat-earther says that the challenge must be completed with paper charts, and adds requirement that the route must incorporate destinations "that you can actually fly to."  Wolvie had been using the north pole for simplicity sake...you could just go 5000 miles down a line of longitude, go 5000 miles around a line of latitude, then go 5000 miles up another line of longitude.  Both Wolvie and another YouTuber named MC Toon have now completed the challenge using paper charts cut-and-pasted together showing a route between non-North Pole locations.  MC Toon went a step further and actually taped the charts to a hemisphere made out of PVC to show that the route lays flat when wrapped around a sphere and doesn't work on a flat plane. 

I can only suppose that the next new requirement will be for Wolvie to actually take this idiot up in a plane and fly the route.  Even then, the flat-earther will probably just claim that the airplane's instruments have been hacked by NASA to make it appear to be flying around a sphere.
The article I read was a shorter version of what you wrote, but did highlight the fact that the goal posts were constantly being moved and the flat earther is unlikely unwilling/unable to pay up because it would acknowledge his beliefs are wrong (heaven forbid).

tripleright.jpg
I think the point was that if it was a sphere, you could do exactly this, but since (in his twisted small mind) it "isn't" it isn't possible.

I still suspect that flat earthers are just trolls looking for attention. Nobody can be that ignorant. 

Latest posts

Back